If you have a Carer, does DWP take money from you?

I know that a Carer gets "Carer's allowance" from the DWP, but will the government take away some of your disability premium or Pip or DLA, to make up for you having a carer that the government is paying for?

Carer’s Allowance is claimed by, and paid to the carer, not the person who is in need of care. There is no deduction in benefits to the disabled person.

Not all carers receive Carer’s Allowance. The disabled person needs to be on middle or high rate disability living allowance. The carers allowance earning limit is £120 per week. Also, CA is taxable. It is discontinued when the carer begins to draw the state pension, even though they are still caring.

Edited by Jomie

What about if a disabled person is over 65 and getting Attendance allowance at the highest level? Can a carer get Carer's allowance looking after someone on AA?

As once you turn 65, you can't get DLA, only AA.

Yes, as long as they meet the criteria: the carer is not in receipt of state pension/certain other benefits or earning more the £120 per week. It’s best to check the government website because there may be more conditions where a person cannot claim carer’s allowance - full time education might be one.

Your eligibility

You must earn no more than £120 a week after tax and expenses. Expenses can include:

50% of your pension contributions

some of the costs of caring for your children or the disabled person while you’re at work

All of the following must also apply:

you’re 16 or over

you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone

you’ve been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years (this doesn’t apply if you’re a refugee or have humanitarian protection status)

you normally live in England, Scotland or Wales, or you live abroad as a member of the armed forces

you’re not in full-time education

you’re not studying for 21 hours a week or more

you’re not subject to immigration control

You might still be eligible if you’re moving to or already living in another EEA country or Switzerland.

You might be eligible for Carer’s Credit if you’re not eligible for Carer’s Allowance.

State Pensions

While there is no upper age limit for claiming Carer’s Allowance, payment of Carer’s Allowance usually stops when you reach retirement age because your State Pension will be paid instead (unless your State Pension is less than the amount of Carer’s Allowance, in which case you could continue to be paid a small amount of Carer’s Allowance). This is because of the ‘overlapping benefits’ rules.

However, you may still be able to get some extra money in recognition of your caring role, because you can still have an ‘underlying entitlement’ to Carer’s Allowance.

It is therefore worth getting a benefit check if you are about to get your State Pension and want to know whether this ‘underlying entitlement’ will financially benefit you, or if you are already getting your State Pension and want to know whether it is worth claiming this ‘underlying entitlement’ to Carer’s Allowance.

Edited by Itrytoplease

Thank you both for your replies.

---------- Post added 27-08-2018 at 10:50 ----------

---------- Post added 27-08-2018 at 10:57 ----------

Carer’s Allowance is claimed by, and paid to the carer, not the person who is in need of care. There is no deduction in benefits to the disabled person.

Not all carers receive Carer’s Allowance. The disabled person needs to be on middle or high rate disability living allowance. The carers allowance earning limit is £120 per week. Also, CA is taxable. It is discontinued when the carer begins to draw the state pension, even though they are still caring.

It seems they CAN take money from the disabled person, if they have a Carer.

I found this:

"The benefits of the person you care for.

If you claim Carer's Allowance, it could affect the amount of benefit the person you care for receives. They could lose the severe disability premium in their income-related benefit or the addition for severe disability in their Pension Credit".

Edited by poppet2

Thank you both for your replies.

---------- Post added 27-08-2018 at 10:50 ----------

---------- Post added 27-08-2018 at 10:57 ----------

It seems they CAN take money from the disabled person, if they have a Carer.

I found this:

"The benefits of the person you care for.

If you claim Carer's Allowance, it could affect the amount of benefit the person you care for receives. They could lose the severe disability premium in their income-related benefit or the addition for severe disability in their Pension Credit".

See https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1549669 above

I was a carer for my elderly mum and received something like £40 as carers allowance.. then £40 was deducted from my mums money so we were no better off, it just made me feel i was robbin my mum even though i was on hand 24/7.

Edited by Cloudsailors
added additional ocmment