Tramlines Festival - Hillsborough Park

So, it seems Tramlines are looking to move away from the city centre to Hillsborough Park next year as part of a bigger ticketed/gated event.

More here: http://sheff.info/tramlines2018

The move to Ponderosa was controversial enough but seemed to justify itself somewhat by attracting larger bands - this is essentially moving another three miles out of the city centre and away from the fringe.

Oh, and there’s been rumours that they are trying to attract Arctic Monkeys to headline at the new venue for the tenth year of the festival, but I’d take that with a pinch of salt for now.

Tramlines first came about to try and attract people into the City Centre on what was traditionally the quietest weekend of the year for the pubs etc.

When the main (free then) stage started on Devonshire Green it changed the festival but at least people heading for that called in the bars on their way to and from it, and went into town just for the festival atmosphere.

Moving it to Ponderosa was bad enough, I was speaking to a pub manager who said they couldnt really justify paying bands anymore as theyd no longer make the money back.

Moving it to Hillsborough defeats the entire object of Tramlines. taking people away from the City Centre rather than bringing them in.

Edited by nikki-red

Tramlines first came about to try and attract people into the City Centre on what was traditionally the quietest weekend of the year for the pubs etc.

When the main (free then) stage started on Devonshire Green it changed the festival but at least people heading for that called in the bars on their way to and from it, and went into town just for the festival atmosphere.

Moving it to Ponderosa was bad enough, I was speaking to a pub manager who said they couldnt really justify paying bands anymore as theyd no longer make the money back.

Moving it to Hillsborough defeats the entire object of Tramlines. taking people away from the City Centre rather than bringing them in.

Its all about maximising profits now.

They can move Tramlines out of the city but i guarantee that all the bars will still be open and put on events.

It might be a better event if they take all the teeny boppers out to Hillsborough

When the main (free then) stage started on Devonshire Green it changed the festival but at least people heading for that called in the bars on their way to and from it, and went into town just for the festival atmosphere..

I remember tramlines before it was called the name.. few bars up dev green way in 2007 started it off .. like everything else when it attracts more people and more diverse backgrounds added to the inevitable of more revenue, then whatever "meaning or object" it had ie supporting independent music etc goes out the window.

Before you know it theyll be moving to Sheffield Arena or wherever...

Still the tramlines became too commercial and chavvy in 09 in my opinion..

Edited by WestTinsley

There's a meeting details can be found on https://www.facebook.com/FoHPark2016

from what's been said its more that the organisers want to bring everything in to one outdoor venue, easier to manage and brings down the costs.

It's a real Marmite of a plan.

I can understand that the Promoters want to develop the event, but this would be a real shame and defeat the object of Tramlines which was supposed to be a city center festival.

This story has come from the fact there is a consultation with friends of Hillsborough Park. It would be a better site than Ponderosa logistically for hosting a well attended event so the main stage may potentially move here. It is right by a tram stop too.

However recent interviews with a festival director has suggested there are still plans to use Devonshire Green and that the independently organised free festival fringe is important too.

Sounds more like bigger and better rather than wholesale move.

Guest makapaka
This story has come from the fact there is a consultation with friends of Hillsborough Park. It would be a better site than Ponderosa logistically for hosting a well attended event so the main stage may potentially move here. It is right by a tram stop too.

However recent interviews with a festival director has suggested there are still plans to use Devonshire Green and that the independently organised free festival fringe is important too.

Sounds more like bigger and better rather than wholesale move.

Agree - if everything stays the same save for ponderosa being replaced with Hillsboro park it's not that different.

I think it's a shame though - liked it being in ponderosa in amongst the estates - and surprised they feel it necessary as ponderosa was hardly bursting at the seams this year.

By moving it to Hillsborough they can now steal much of the alcohol sales from the city centre bars and sell it themselves (at stupidly inflated festival prices)

Brings in more money for the festival but it's bad for everyone else.

If the festival was all about boosting business in the centre then moving it away to increase profits is a very selfish move.

By moving it to Hillsborough they can now steal much of the alcohol sales from the city centre bars and sell it themselves (at stupidly inflated festival prices)

Brings in more money for the festival but it's bad for everyone else.

If the festival was all about boosting business in the centre then moving it away to increase profits is a very selfish move.

I havent bought a tramlines tickets for about 3 years. We care more about the vibe than seeing bands.

Going from bar to bar and bumping into people etc. I like the Carnival atmosphere to it all. Not queuing for an hour to watch Toddler T and being charge £50 for the privilege.

Moving it out to Hillsborough might be better for the city centre because it removes the Tramlines monopoly

Edited by SkylinePhoto

As long as the festival atmosphere stays in the centre that is.

The police close off alot of roads and have a big presence on the streets, thats made possible as the festival site is so close to the centre so the lot just becomes one big festival space.

Move the site and it forces the police to be split between two places, so the city centre might not get the same treatment as before.