Re-making classic cars.

I've often thought there has to be a market for motor manufacturers to re-introduce some of their famous pre and post-war old models, but with modern engines, braking and interiors etc., just the bodies being authentic to the originals. It's said that the body style, more than the performance and innovations, often sell a car.

I expect some of the body detail would get marred by modern regs. on bonnet mascots or lights perhaps, but 'you get my drift'. At least it would bring some non-aerodynamic shape back to our roads.

What models would be most popular for re-introduction do you think, and would you be in the market for one ?

I have had similar thoughts... except without the negativity over regulations.

For starters how about THIS? I'm not sure that it gets much better :love:

Edited by zoco

I think that it would be very hard to recreate old cars, even to only keep the exterior like the original. The current regulations on performance of everything from bumpers to crumple zones may make it just impossible to get a vehicle past licensing, even if it's registered as a kit car or a one off.

I think that it would be very hard to recreate old cars, even to only keep the exterior like the original. The current regulations on performance of everything from bumpers to crumple zones may make it just impossible to get a vehicle past licensing, even if it's registered as a kit car or a one off.

Unless you can cite those regulations, I'm going to chalk that up to urban myth, and/or EUrophobia, which we'll be out of in due course anyway.

I don't think the Morgan's have changed in years.

Thanks for the replies lads. Now, I don't know if it's been in the news elsewhere, nor the full details, but today, just a day after posting the thread, I read 'Jaguar Land-rover opening classic car plant'.

I imagined it would be a museum of their old models, but the word 'plant' indicates production. I can't find anything more anywhere, but if it turns out they are re-introducing old models, I assure you I had no knowledge before posting !

Anyone better informed ?

They might just be remaking parts for old classics.

As others have said regulations on crash safety, for both drivers and pedestrians prevent most classic car designs from being fully remade.

Even these high-priced remakes have a pretty tough time producing legal cars, obviously the Eagle cars are on the road (which I think use original E-Type's as a base?)

but others like these Mini's have raised some very serious questions about the legality of the cars produced.

brand new body shells are available for the mk 1 mini,buy a doner car and away you go.

brand new body shells are available for the mk 1 mini,buy a doner car and away you go.

British Heritage have been doing MG ones for years...

Alot of old Fords also have that option as well I think.

sounds like a great idea to keep old cars still on the road