IMPORTANT NEWS...

As previously warned, Sheffield Forum is changing to new software - view the preview here

This is scheduled for Sunday 18th Nov. The forum will be closed and unavailable an extended period of time (24-36 hours) to allow for this major transition.

Please note that some private messages will not be transferred. Therefore we strongly urge you to take manual back-ups of any important messages now.
Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Lowedges slip road

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

09-12-2014, 19:22   #1
Pkingy

Total Posts: 460
Has anyone got any idea why the slip road from lowedges onto chesterfield road has been closed
_______
if the man who invented the drawing board got it wrong what would he go back to
09-12-2014, 21:07   #2
carltoncdx

Total Posts: 681
I suspect it is to help cyclists on a rather busy rd.
What it has done is made a very safe slip rd junction into a very dangerous slip rd where instead of using the momentum of a car to join the traffic you now have to pull out into traffic moving at 40mph......typical council stupid idea!!
_______
www.landyzone.co.uk The green oval owners forum...come and say hello!
Qualified,experienced electrician,Part P registered,insured and reliable.
Free estimates!! No callout charge within Sheffield.
Discounts for service personel.
09-12-2014, 21:11   #3
Paddy

Total Posts: 1,672
Just drive on the slip road part as before and build your speed up. It's only white paint so won't actually stop you or damage your car!
_______
Live long and prosper.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
09-12-2014, 22:00   #4
Henrietta

Total Posts: 1,504
All that stupid assorted bunch of white lines on the sliproad managed to do was make me think wtf? Then I continued driving and used it same as before they appeared....
_______
Aim for the stars, and the only way is up!
09-12-2014, 22:19   #5
carltoncdx

Total Posts: 681
As long as you can drive around the barriers that have been erected to make sure you have to pull out into fast moving traffic..................
_______
www.landyzone.co.uk The green oval owners forum...come and say hello!
Qualified,experienced electrician,Part P registered,insured and reliable.
Free estimates!! No callout charge within Sheffield.
Discounts for service personel.
09-12-2014, 22:20   #6
monkey104

Total Posts: 3,640
Unfortunately there is now an obstacle that now forces you to make a 90 degree turn on to Chesterfield Road, taking it, as the op says, from a safe slip road allowing traffic to filter to a left turn.
It would be nice to know the reasoning behind this.
09-12-2014, 22:25   #7
thorphanger

Total Posts: 207
Just a matter of time before there is an accident. What are the council thinking it has made this into a very dodgy junction. I wonder who's bright idea it was.
09-12-2014, 23:13   #8
Henrietta

Total Posts: 1,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by carltoncdx View Post
As long as you can drive around the barriers that have been erected to make sure you have to pull out into fast moving traffic..................
Ah, they weren't there a number of weeks ago when I last used it. Might make it more of a challenge then!
_______
Aim for the stars, and the only way is up!
10-12-2014, 00:26   #9
smithy266

Total Posts: 4,621
I think it is to make into more of a give way junction, instead of speeding up and filltering into moving traffic. The planners have made a total pigs ear of this area, with really stupid lane markings, particularly into entering and exiting the nearby Meadowhead roundabout. Just like they did with the Woodseats debacle. They do not have a clue! And we pay their wages!
10-12-2014, 10:27   #10
Andy C

Total Posts: 8,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey104 View Post
Unfortunately there is now an obstacle that now forces you to make a 90 degree turn on to Chesterfield Road, taking it, as the op says, from a safe slip road allowing traffic to filter to a left turn.
It would be nice to know the reasoning behind this.
Indeed and the number 53 buses seem to be struggling with it...
10-12-2014, 11:22   #11
abbeyedges

Total Posts: 356
It's to reduce the speed of the getaway cars as they do another raid on the bookies at Bradway!
10-12-2014, 11:58   #12
Paddy

Total Posts: 1,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by carltoncdx View Post
Those barriers appear to be temporary and EASILY MOVED out of the way if you get what I mean!
_______
Live long and prosper.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
10-12-2014, 13:39   #13
Tess
The game.

Total Posts: 8,296
We've been thinking the same. When its busy its so much harder to pull out. As others have said - it was much easier and safer to just ignore it and treat it as before, but now they have the barriers up its neigh on impossible to enter traffic at a steady speed. I wonder what the plan is, they can't keep the plastic barrier there forever.
_______
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, with a body thoroughly used up and totally worn out, screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride!"
10-12-2014, 13:50   #14
bassett one

Total Posts: 2,633
scc came up with the idea,and as local tenants/residents sec I was told by locals its a trial and if we don't like the idea we should complain,but I don't know and have not heard who to complain to,i personally think its very silly idea and will endeavour to find out who to complain to now we know that theres others that agree its a silly idea.
10-12-2014, 13:53   #15
No User Name

Total Posts: 4,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassett one View Post
scc came up with the idea,and as local tenants/residents sec I was told by locals its a trial and if we don't like the idea we should complain,but I don't know and have not heard who to complain to.
The Council, perhaps?
10-12-2014, 14:01   #16
Jonny5

Total Posts: 3,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassett one View Post
scc came up with the idea,and as local tenants/residents sec I was told by locals its a trial and if we don't like the idea we should complain,but I don't know and have not heard who to complain to,i personally think its very silly idea and will endeavour to find out who to complain to now we know that theres others that agree its a silly idea.
It probably is.

Ideas like this, which are clearly idiotic, shouldn't be getting suggested or taken seriously never mind getting to the trial stage.

How much will this trial from planning to implementation to (inevitable) withdrawal be costing us?

And then the council moans about cuts. Well stop spending money on schemes and wages to people who are clearly inept. Then I might have some sympathy.
10-12-2014, 14:09   #17
smithy266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny5 View Post
It probably is.

Ideas like this, which are clearly idiotic, shouldn't be getting suggested or taken seriously never mind getting to the trial stage.

How much will this trial from planning to implementation to (inevitable) withdrawal be costing us?

And then the council moans about cuts. Well stop spending money on schemes and wages to people who are clearly inept. Then I might have some sympathy.
There should be a "like" button!
10-12-2014, 14:31   #18
bassett one

Total Posts: 2,633
spoken to highways,and they have said they will come back to me ,when they have found out which of there departments this scheme comes under and will contact me in about 24 hours,it does seem to be part of the meadowhead scheme,but I will inform you all when they contact me,hope this helps
10-12-2014, 15:31   #19
smithy266

Cheers,top man.
10-12-2014, 16:12   #20
Andy C

Total Posts: 8,482
This leaflet from 2009 seems to suggest a cycle lane is to be introduced...

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...81456516,d.d24
Reply To Topic