A Hermeneutic for the times

Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

For I was hungry and you advised me that I was a shirker and a scrounger who could join the foodbank queue, I was thirsty even while your utilities portfolio yielded lucrative dividends, I was a stranger and you proclaimed that my presence was the reason your economy was in peril, I needed clothes and you sought to sell me branded garments made in the sweatshops of the global South, I was sick and you pronounced that treatments were no longer affordable, in prison just as you profited from the corporate penetration of the criminal justice system.'