Sheffield Forum
Your message here

New roundabout Moss Way

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

21-09-2018, 17:36   #21
honest john

Total Posts: 772
absolute joke,nearly wrote my car off because of this crazy idea bet i"m not the only one !!
22-09-2018, 18:23   #22
PlayStation

Total Posts: 905
i drive down moss way every night to work and can honestly say this is a stupid idea. it's not made it any easier for buses at all because although people are slowing down for the roundabout, they are still just going straight over it and buses are still having to wait coming off bsl.

not to mention how tight it is if you go round it instead of over it.
22-09-2018, 19:16   #23
iansheff

Total Posts: 6,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayStation View Post
i drive down moss way every night to work and can honestly say this is a stupid idea. it's not made it any easier for buses at all because although people are slowing down for the roundabout, they are still just going straight over it and buses are still having to wait coming off bsl.

not to mention how tight it is if you go round it instead of over it.

They usually put signs up saying new road layout but can't say I have seen one, not saying there isn't, but I haven't seen one. I have only seen the roundabout sign on the lamp post.
24-09-2018, 08:15   #24
Foot

Total Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by iansheff View Post
They usually put signs up saying new road layout but can't say I have seen one, not saying there isn't, but I haven't seen one. I have only seen the roundabout sign on the lamp post.
There definitely were 'New road layout' signs, I saw them a few weeks ago.
24-09-2018, 22:51   #25
simonj

Total Posts: 1,642
I drive it every day to work and back and I can't say that I've seen any formal 'New Road Layout' signs. There are some roadworks signs on the side of the road but far too close to the roundabout IMO. The mini-roundabout signs are there but you can't see the one as you travel towards the police station because it's hidden in the trees! Shouldn't be a problem in a few few weeks or so though once the leaves have fallen
_______
"Is there anybody in there, just nod if you can hear me"
25-09-2018, 06:43   #26
JP1867

Total Posts: 157
doubt it easier for buses, maybe they can get out a little quicker but the lane is so narrow that the angle the bus has to take isnt easier at all.

why did they not take ALL the junctions into account and make a big roundabout , include the road that goes at the back of Asda and BSL
02-10-2018, 12:35   #27
iansheff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP1867 View Post
doubt it easier for buses, maybe they can get out a little quicker but the lane is so narrow that the angle the bus has to take isnt easier at all.

why did they not take ALL the junctions into account and make a big roundabout , include the road that goes at the back of Asda and BSL
While they were doing this why did they not look at moving one of the bus stops or putting a layby on the side next to the field on Birley Spa Lane? When there is a bus at both stops at the same time it holds the traffic up.
02-10-2018, 14:30   #28
Planner1

Total Posts: 9,018
Quote:
While they were doing this why did they not look at moving one of the bus stops or putting a layby on the side next to the field on Birley Spa Lane? When there is a bus at both stops at the same time it holds the traffic up.
The roundabout scheme is part of a project that looked at the whole route in that area, so any changes considered necessary at the stops would have been made.

Bus operators don't like lay-bys as once the bus is in there, they get delayed getting back out as passing drivers don't let them out.
_______
Planner1's views are his own and do not reflect those of his employers, past or present.
02-10-2018, 16:21   #29
iansheff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planner1 View Post
The roundabout scheme is part of a project that looked at the whole route in that area, so any changes considered necessary at the stops would have been made.

Bus operators don't like lay-bys as once the bus is in there, they get delayed getting back out as passing drivers don't let them out.
So if the two bus stops both have buses at them and traffic is backing up onto Moss Way that's ok as long as the bus doesn't have to get out of a layby?

Last edited by iansheff; 02-10-2018 at 16:32.
02-10-2018, 20:45   #30
Marx

Total Posts: 2,896
I like it but it does seem a bit 'temporary'. I don't know if it has made that much difference to the traffic coming out of Birley Spa turning right. I always turn left.
02-10-2018, 21:26   #31
Planner1

Quote:
So if the two bus stops both have buses at them and traffic is backing up onto Moss Way that's ok as long as the bus doesn't have to get out of a layby?
How often does that actually happen and what problem do you think it causes other than a minor delay to a few motorists?
_______
Planner1's views are his own and do not reflect those of his employers, past or present.
02-10-2018, 21:42   #32
K1Machine

Total Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planner1 View Post
How often does that actually happen and what problem do you think it causes other than a minor delay to a few motorists?
And emergency vehicles. Ive got my fingers crossed your house isn't the first to burn down because a fire engine has a "minor delay" on this road.
02-10-2018, 22:04   #33
Planner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1Machine View Post
And emergency vehicles. Ive got my fingers crossed your house isn't the first to burn down because a fire engine has a "minor delay" on this road.
This nonsense is often trotted out.

How do you think the emergency services operate in congested urban areas? They have sirens and flashing lights, which drivers see/hear and get out of the way if they can.

The emergency services are statutory consultees on highway schemes and would say so if they had any problem with the arrangements.
_______
Reply To Topic