Sheffield Forum
Your message here

51 cancelled two Friday nights in a row

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
28-09-2018, 22:58   #1
Colin Foster
Registered User
 
Joined: May 2006
Total Posts: 509
Last week I was waiting three quarters of an hour in the cold for the 51 to Lodge Moor. The one I was supposed to get never turned up and the next one was 15 minutes late. I'd have been sat waiting again if it wasn't for a group of people walking past who told me it said cancelled at the nearest stop with an electronic sign. This service is just a complete and utter joke. Is there any way of finding out if a bus isn't going to turn up if your at a stop with no live updates?
  Reply With Quote
28-09-2018, 23:02   #2
taxman
Registered User
taxman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Walkley
Total Posts: 20,933
Send a message via MSN to taxman
I had a 72 go missing today and two 95's.

Over 90 minutes later back home than I should have been. That's privatisation for you.
_______
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

I am no longer Taxman!
  Reply With Quote
28-09-2018, 23:23   #3
busdriver1
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Total Posts: 1,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman View Post
I had a 72 go missing today and two 95's.

Over 90 minutes later back home than I should have been. That's privatisation for you.
Try living in Rotherham, since our local depot closed and everything is run from Sheffield the service that used to be pretty good has gone to pot. The X1 that is supposed to be every 10 minutes may average out as that but it is common to see 3, 4 or even 5 running together leaving a "nice" gap after them or before as the case may be. The best I have seen so far was 6 in a row, thats an hours worth in 2 minutes.
Catching a bus from Maltby to Rotherham in the rush hour is a joke with 3 or 4 running past out of service together every day. Pleased I do not have to rely on it.

This is not Fridays, this is every night without fail.
  Reply With Quote
28-09-2018, 23:53   #4
Funky_Gibbon
Registered User
Funky_Gibbon's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: In a perpetual state of anarchy
Total Posts: 4,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Foster View Post
Last week I was waiting three quarters of an hour in the cold for the 51 to Lodge Moor. The one I was supposed to get never turned up and the next one was 15 minutes late. I'd have been sat waiting again if it wasn't for a group of people walking past who told me it said cancelled at the nearest stop with an electronic sign. This service is just a complete and utter joke. Is there any way of finding out if a bus isn't going to turn up if your at a stop with no live updates?
Those electronic signs just lie.

Try this link on your mobile and select whichever stop is most appropriate, they're usually a bit more accurate.

http://gettheresooner.travelsouthyor...ceCode=YSAO051

I'm just waiting for the clocks to change. It's the annual sign for my bus service to start disappearing without a trace.
_______
"Psycho Dad. Now with less violence but more kinky sex and nudity for a cleaner, saner America."

Last edited by Funky_Gibbon; 28-09-2018 at 23:55.
  Reply With Quote
29-09-2018, 06:27   #5
Michael_N
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Somewhere between S1 & S66
Total Posts: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Foster View Post
Last week I was waiting three quarters of an hour in the cold for the 51 to Lodge Moor. The one I was supposed to get never turned up and the next one was 15 minutes late. I'd have been sat waiting again if it wasn't for a group of people walking past who told me it said cancelled at the nearest stop with an electronic sign. This service is just a complete and utter joke. Is there any way of finding out if a bus isn't going to turn up if your at a stop with no live updates?
First were 25 vehicles short and 29 drivers short for yesterday’s PM peak period alone. Shocking way to run a business and they they wonder why people are reverting back to cars and making alternative travel arrangements... A chocolate fire guard is of more use.

Remember you can use the YourNextBus tracking service for live departures. This can be done both online or through texting your bus stop no. (370*****) to 64422 or METRO (63876). Online web address is http://yournextbus.wymetro.com/

Remember if it is a regular occurrence you can send your evidence/findings off to the Traffic Commissioner on Harehills Lane in Leeds who all operators are accountable for as this is who grants them the licence to run services - and if there is a failure to comply or they regularly fall below the criteria (95% of all trips need to be between 1 min early and 5 mins late from a timing point) then sanctions can be imposed upon the said company. Bus Users UK are also a good intermediating body to go through too, if you have complained and have received no response or an unsatisfactory response.

Also look at First South Yorkshire’s Twitter page, nothing but complaint after complaint. Doesn’t portray their business very well and it’s no wonder that 95% of all their drivers look so miserable... No wonder they are struggling as a business with this simple lack of customer care!
  Reply With Quote
29-09-2018, 09:32   #6
haddy
Registered User
 
Joined: May 2013
Total Posts: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by busdriver1 View Post
Try living in Rotherham, since our local depot closed and everything is run from Sheffield the service that used to be pretty good has gone to pot. The X1 that is supposed to be every 10 minutes may average out as that but it is common to see 3, 4 or even 5 running together leaving a "nice" gap after them or before as the case may be. The best I have seen so far was 6 in a row, thats an hours worth in 2 minutes.
Catching a bus from Maltby to Rotherham in the rush hour is a joke with 3 or 4 running past out of service together every day. Pleased I do not have to rely on it.

This is not Fridays, this is every night without fail.
Have to agree about the X1. Saw yesterday 2 groups of 3 buses following each other
  Reply With Quote
29-09-2018, 10:05   #7
bassett one
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Total Posts: 2,633
in years gone by many a driver was sacked for there bus not running on time,howtimes change,
_______
next event the lowedges10th christmas market,sun dec 2nd 12noon-4pm,plus food bank food collection at the tennants hall ,gresley road lowedges,please help
  Reply With Quote
29-09-2018, 10:28   #8
Padders
Registered User
Padders's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Total Posts: 11,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassett one View Post
in years gone by many a driver was sacked for there bus not running on time,howtimes change,
I worked on the buses 1963 to 2004. and can"t recall one driver being sacked for not running on time.
  Reply With Quote
29-09-2018, 11:09   #9
amnicoll
Registered User
 
Joined: Oct 2017
Total Posts: 299
And to think we might get rid of the tram and replace it with buses - at least the tram is reasonably reliable even it the information on the dot matrix is a joke
  Reply With Quote
29-09-2018, 12:46   #10
GleadlessLad
Registered User
 
Joined: May 2008
Total Posts: 195
I used to use the 51 now & again, until First left me stranded at Lodge Moor late at night on two consecutive occasions after I'd used the 51 to get over there from Gleadless Townend. I complained on both occasions & First replied that they'd pulled the service due to a shortage of drivers in both instances.

After that I just totally gave up on the "service".

It's appalling.
  Reply With Quote
29-09-2018, 22:29   #11
Baron99
Registered User
 
Joined: Nov 2017
Total Posts: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Foster View Post
Last week I was waiting three quarters of an hour in the cold for the 51 to Lodge Moor. The one I was supposed to get never turned up and the next one was 15 minutes late. I'd have been sat waiting again if it wasn't for a group of people walking past who told me it said cancelled at the nearest stop with an electronic sign. This service is just a complete and utter joke. Is there any way of finding out if a bus isn't going to turn up if your at a stop with no live updates?
Not being funny but rather than complaining on SF, have you complained to South Yorkshire Public Transport Executive?

http://www.sypte.co.uk/corporate.aspx?id=2712

Or your local councillors / MP is this is a persistent problem?
  Reply With Quote
29-09-2018, 23:40   #12
Mr Pops
Registered User
Mr Pops's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Manor Top
Total Posts: 3,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman View Post
I had a 72 go missing today and two 95's.

Over 90 minutes later back home than I should have been. That's privatisation for you.
learn to drive and buy a car.
_______
Now i have one.
  Reply With Quote
29-09-2018, 23:54   #13
Colin Foster
Registered User
 
Joined: May 2006
Total Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pops View Post
learn to drive and buy a car.
0/10 must try harder!

---------- Post added 29-09-2018 at 23:56 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron99 View Post
Not being funny but rather than complaining on SF, have you complained to South Yorkshire Public Transport Executive?

http://www.sypte.co.uk/corporate.aspx?id=2712

Or your local councillors / MP is this is a persistent problem?
Not anymore because from experience it's a complete waste of time.
  Reply With Quote
30-09-2018, 00:48   #14
taxman
Registered User
taxman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Walkley
Total Posts: 20,933
Send a message via MSN to taxman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pops View Post
learn to drive and buy a car.
Get a well paid job and move from t'Manor.
_______
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

I am no longer Taxman!
  Reply With Quote
30-09-2018, 11:49   #15
amnicoll
Registered User
 
Joined: Oct 2017
Total Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Foster View Post
0/10 must try harder!

---------- Post added 29-09-2018 at 23:56 ----------



Not anymore because from experience it's a complete waste of time.
Although even publicity here will not shame the PTE and if you have the same councillors and MP as me then as above it would be a waste of time this is about the only place to raise the issue
  Reply With Quote
01-10-2018, 08:06   #16
Route274
Registered User
 
Joined: Jun 2017
Total Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron99 View Post
Not being funny but rather than complaining on SF, have you complained to South Yorkshire Public Transport Executive?

http://www.sypte.co.uk/corporate.aspx?id=2712

Or your local councillors / MP is this is a persistent problem?

Its isn't just complaining on SF though; by mentioning yet another service failure it raises awareness of how pathetic the 51 actually is - Though I suspect that most of us who attempt to use it already know the score.
  Reply With Quote
01-10-2018, 08:33   #17
The Moon
Registered User
 
Joined: Jul 2018
Total Posts: 113
There needs to be central government intervention in Sheffield, not just over the bus issue but just in general as the people of Sheffield are just not being served properly at all by this abjectly useless council.
  Reply With Quote
01-10-2018, 09:55   #18
amnicoll
Registered User
 
Joined: Oct 2017
Total Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moon View Post
There needs to be central government intervention in Sheffield, not just over the bus issue but just in general as the people of Sheffield are just not being served properly at all by this abjectly useless council.
Sorry but this is a local issue and it is incumbent on residents to vote in Councillors and MPs who have some interest in their constituents.
  Reply With Quote
Reply To Topic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:56.
POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED
Click "Report Post" under any post which may breach our terms of use.
©2002-2017 Sheffield Forum | Powered by vBulletin ©2018