IMPORTANT NEWS...

As previously warned, Sheffield Forum is changing to new software - view the preview here

This is scheduled for Sunday 18th Nov. The forum will be closed and unavailable an extended period of time (24-36 hours) to allow for this major transition.

Please note that some private messages will not be transferred. Therefore we strongly urge you to take manual back-ups of any important messages now.
Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Latest Tree Felling, Sandford Grove Rd etc .

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
18-09-2018, 12:07   #2201
Cyclone
Registered User
Cyclone's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Wadlsey
Total Posts: 71,990
Status: Online
So you are ignoring it, you can't bring yourself to criticise the council for deliberately manipulating the survey to minimise responses.

You're also ignoring the lies in the survey which may well have lead people to not respond...

I'm "suggesting" that the survey was flawed. Are you "denying" it? (Oh, and for what it's worth, the survey responses where they were made were overwhelmingly against, that means that the survey does actually support my point of view).
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
Youtube videos, snowboarding, climbing, bad drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmn...qpXEZMGnJHf3Wg
  Reply With Quote
18-09-2018, 12:32   #2202
makapaka
Registered User
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Total Posts: 3,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
So you are ignoring it, you can't bring yourself to criticise the council for deliberately manipulating the survey to minimise responses.

You're also ignoring the lies in the survey which may well have lead people to not respond...

I'm "suggesting" that the survey was flawed. Are you "denying" it? (Oh, and for what it's worth, the survey responses where they were made were overwhelmingly against, that means that the survey does actually support my point of view).
Well not on Walkley Bank they weren't. More people approved than disapproved.

Why do I have to disprove or deny an unproven accusation to not be accused of bias?

However - to go with your theory that the silent majority opposes the felling in say Walkley Bank - we have to believe 91% of 986 households surveyed in Walkley Bank were tricked into not responding - either by lies contained within a survey or because they didn't bother to open the envelope - and that they would have been against had they not been tricked.

We then have to discount the fact that of those people that weren't tricked - more voted to approve the felling than disapprove.

You might then say that the people that approved the felling were tricked, but then we also have to question why only 3% disapproved.

You said that having spoken to your friends / colleagues this proved the silent majority were against the felling which you seem to think people should just accept as fact.

I'm not saying the survey proves anything undoubtedly - it certainly doesn't support a for or against view - it does seem to indicate indifference.

Last edited by makapaka; 18-09-2018 at 12:34.
  Reply With Quote
19-09-2018, 11:11   #2203
Cyclone
Registered User
Cyclone's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Wadlsey
Total Posts: 71,990
Status: Online
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendix View Post
There are sections of the pavement around some of the trees where the root growth is so pronounced that it has buckled the pavement. I walk down there most days, and I dont rely on Cyclone's silly Google Map images to see what I see.

But, hey, he or she has decided it's not an issue so I shall tell them not to worry.
Hey I missed this one.

Silly images of the street. That's weak isn't it. I put up some evidence and the best you can do is call actual photos of the street in question 'silly'.
I guess we've proven that you were exaggerating weren't you.
Which explains why you went quiet and only makapaka is left arguing about a point (having carefully forgotten the context of it of course).

---------- Post added 19-09-2018 at 11:13 ----------

That context being (to remind you makapaka) that bendix was claiming the opposite. The silent majority he claimed were in favour of tree removal.
I only claimed the opposite to make it clear how silly the claim is. And I acknowledged that it was anecdotal at the time. See posts 2147 and thereabouts.
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
Youtube videos, snowboarding, climbing, bad drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmn...qpXEZMGnJHf3Wg
  Reply With Quote
06-11-2018, 21:40   #2204
Hidrisc
Registered User
 
Joined: Jul 2017
Total Posts: 6
Council just annouced they are not going to fell the healthy trees on Western Rd because of Armistice...thats something they have done...though one would like to know they wont change their minds in a few years.
  Reply With Quote
07-11-2018, 13:03   #2205
dave_the_m
Registered User
 
Joined: Feb 2017
Total Posts: 139
Oddly enough a year ago SCC said that none of the 23 condemned Western Road trees could be saved because it would cost 300K and would require 5m-long pavement build-outs into road for each tree (along with the loss of 35 parking spaces). Now they've just checked again, and all but 3 trees (the dying ones) can be saved, with only 5 built-outs, and at no cost to SCC.
  Reply With Quote
07-11-2018, 13:13   #2206
lil-minx92
Registered User
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Home sweet home
Total Posts: 1,439
Status: Online
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_the_m View Post
Oddly enough a year ago SCC said that none of the 23 condemned Western Road trees could be saved because it would cost 300K and would require 5m-long pavement build-outs into road for each tree (along with the loss of 35 parking spaces). Now they've just checked again, and all but 3 trees (the dying ones) can be saved, with only 5 built-outs, and at no cost to SCC.
They also stated that the trees could cause the houses to be flooded and become un-insurable. I wonder if this is still the case, or were they just scare tactics to garner support from the residents for the fellings?

The farce continues! I'm pleased the council back-tracked in this case but it must be frustrating for the residents of streets who have already seemingly needlessly lost their beloved trees.

Well done STAG.
  Reply With Quote
07-11-2018, 14:10   #2207
bendix
Registered User
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Total Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
Hey I missed this one.

Silly images of the street. That's weak isn't it. I put up some evidence and the best you can do is call actual photos of the street in question 'silly'.
I guess we've proven that you were exaggerating weren't you.
Which explains why you went quiet and only makapaka is left arguing about a point (having carefully forgotten the context of it of course).

---------- Post added 19-09-2018 at 11:13 ----------

That context being (to remind you makapaka) that bendix was claiming the opposite. The silent majority he claimed were in favour of tree removal.
I only claimed the opposite to make it clear how silly the claim is. And I acknowledged that it was anecdotal at the time. See posts 2147 and thereabouts.

I went quiet because i don't really care about the issue and figure it's not worth expending effort on.
  Reply With Quote
07-11-2018, 14:36   #2208
cassiewoofer
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Total Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidrisc View Post
Council just annouced they are not going to fell the healthy trees on Western Rd because of Armistice...thats something they have done...though one would like to know they wont change their minds in a few years.
Great news! That road is beautiful!
  Reply With Quote
07-11-2018, 14:55   #2209
Cyclone
Registered User
Cyclone's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Wadlsey
Total Posts: 71,990
Status: Online
If you like Bendix.
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
Youtube videos, snowboarding, climbing, bad drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmn...qpXEZMGnJHf3Wg
  Reply With Quote
07-11-2018, 14:58   #2210
cassiewoofer
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Total Posts: 77
You've lost me there! Thought they made washing machines?
  Reply With Quote
07-11-2018, 15:21   #2211
Longcol
Registered User
Longcol's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Perigord Noir
Total Posts: 15,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassiewoofer View Post
Great news! That road is beautiful!
Aye, Binghams potted meat factory is a wonder to behold

https://www.google.fr/maps/@53.38590...=en&authuser=0
_______
Living the dream.
  Reply With Quote
07-11-2018, 16:40   #2212
bendix
Registered User
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Total Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
If you like Bendix.
Have you ever written a post and decided . . nahh, just for once I'm not going to share it with the rest of the world?

You should try it now and again. Really.
  Reply With Quote
08-11-2018, 08:31   #2213
Cyclone
Registered User
Cyclone's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Wadlsey
Total Posts: 71,990
Status: Online
You keep coming back, but you're not going to explain why the google pictures of the street don't count... Is that the post you decided not to post, you should post it, I'm fascinated.
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
Youtube videos, snowboarding, climbing, bad drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmn...qpXEZMGnJHf3Wg
  Reply With Quote
10-11-2018, 10:00   #2214
Baron99
Registered User
 
Joined: Nov 2017
Total Posts: 618
Walked down Sandford Grove Road yesterday. All the trees that were earmarked for felling well over a year ago are still there. And guess what? SCC / Amey have just re-tarmac all the pavements on both sides right round the trees.
  Reply With Quote
10-11-2018, 10:23   #2215
cassiewoofer
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Total Posts: 77
Brilliant!, maybe the council are seeing sense? Sheffield's Green City status is as important (nearly) as it's association with steel.
  Reply With Quote
10-11-2018, 10:27   #2216
Baron99
Registered User
 
Joined: Nov 2017
Total Posts: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassiewoofer View Post
Brilliant!, maybe the council are seeing sense? Sheffield's Green City status is as important (nearly) as it's association with steel.
One can only presume that all those dead, dying, diseased trees have somehow made a miraculous recovery?
  Reply With Quote
10-11-2018, 10:30   #2217
cassiewoofer
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Total Posts: 77
Perhaps they 'felt' the love!
  Reply With Quote
Reply To Topic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:28.
POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED
Click "Report Post" under any post which may breach our terms of use.
©2002-2017 Sheffield Forum | Powered by vBulletin ©2018