Middle of the road bands - who is one?

What bands are truly middle of the road (MOR)?

It doesn't have to be a bad thing to be MOR. Sometimes it can be nice to listen to something a bit easy on one's ear rather than stuff such as "The Entrails Song" by Canninal Corpse. I'll give you people one:

Counting Crows - so MOR they're almost an extreme MOR band. That gets us into a whole new kettle of argument though.

for me a lot of britpop bands are middle of the road, never really liked bands like stereophonics, later manics, mansun, embrace, cast, shed 7 stuff like that. Also stuff like U2, Muse and dare i say despite their noodlings radiohead?

just stuff i dont find all that "interesting" really. was never a fan of the smiths either tbh

for me a lot of britpop bands are middle of the road, never really liked bands like stereophonics, later manics, mansun, embrace, cast, shed 7 stuff like that. Also stuff like U2, Muse and dare i say despite their noodlings radiohead?

just stuff i dont find all that "interesting" really. was never a fan of the smiths either tbh

Radiohead are great and innovative, I would say they're far from mediocre. Love the Smiths too. Morrissey's sense of humour brightens even their most miserable songs. I like some of U2s earlier stuff, before they turned into a stadium rock band.

I agree about some of the so called Britpop bands. Shed 7 and Dodgy were just plain awful.

Coldplay would be my definition of a middle of the road band - very radio friendly, and for some weird reason very popular....

Edited by Mister M

Radiohead are great and innovative, I would say they're far from mediocre. Love the Smiths too. Morrissey's sense of humour brightens even their most miserable songs. I like some of U2s earlier stuff, before they turned into a stadium rock band.

I agree about some of the so called Britpop bands. Shed 7 and Dodgy were just plain awful.

Coldplay would be my definition of a middle of the road band - very radio friendly, and for some weird reason very popular....

damn missed coldplay off mi list too LOL, oh and dodgy

saw dodgy supporting ozric tentacles before they became big and they were one of the worst support acts ive ever seen, put me off em, sadly some of their early releases were then worth money but i never bought any cos i thought they were crap LOL

All fare points for sure but Mansun is a surprised inclusion. Their 2nd album Six is one of the least MOR albums out there. It's a superb album. IT IS SUPERB! Manics is a different thing also because their 'later' stuff is Journal For Plague Lovers and Postcards From A Young Dude. Still, Mansun!!!

That you liken radiohead to the other bands in that list indicates a lack of understanding of their music. Perhaps their first 2 albums but thereafter they are one of the most innovative bands since bands were invented.

But yes I totally agree that britpop in general is very MOR or even utterly bland except blur, they are the opposite (Side of road?)

All fare points for sure but Mansun is a surprised inclusion. Their 2nd album Six is one of the least MOR albums out there. It's a superb album. IT IS SUPERB! Manics is a different thing also because their 'later' stuff is Journal For Plague Lovers and Postcards From A Young Dude. Still, Mansun!!!

thing is, you hear some tracks by one of said bands, you dont normally delve deeper into their catalogue if they dont take your fancy first off? so i may have missed more interesting stuff later on, just theres billions of other bands id rather listen to first

Funny story, wheel Mor is foreigners like that Geoffrey Shaw talks about all the time and Fleetwood mac's lads. Yes.

That you liken radiohead to the other bands in that list indicates a lack of understanding of their music. Perhaps their first 2 albums but thereafter they are one of the most innovative bands since bands were invented.

But yes I totally agree that britpop in general is very MOR or even utterly bland except blur, they are the opposite (Side of road?)

see in my post above this one, you hear something boring and ****e you dont normally go out of your way to hear more? never liked em, never bothered to check em out more, find em miserable and boring, rather listen to a billion other more interesting bands

What bands are truly middle of the road (MOR)?

It doesn't have to be a bad thing to be MOR. Sometimes it can be nice to listen to something a bit easy on one's ear rather than stuff such as "The Entrails Song" by Canninal Corpse. I'll give you people one:

Counting Crows - so MOR they're almost an extreme MOR band. That gets us into a whole new kettle of argument though.

The Caribbean corpse sung is more mainstream metal.

thing is, you hear some tracks by one of said bands, you dont normally delve deeper into their catalogue if they dont take your fancy first off? so i may have missed more interesting stuff later on, just theres billions of other bands id rather listen to first

Truth out there for sure. It's what deprived me of many years of Lemon Heads cos I judged them by their pathetic version of Missus Robinson. Six by Mansun is one of my bestest albums though. They were generally shoddy after that.

Mansun sung in a wide open space which is a definite sung truly international network. I'm planning now.