Moving to Parson Cross

Morning all,

My husband and I are currently looking at buying one of the new builds on the Brearley Forge development (yes, I've read all the posts about Keepmoat before someone links them ;) ) but I'm being warned not to move there by family - brother-in-law is a Police Officer so has warned us off the area because of the reputation.

I have a friend who lives around the corner from the new buildings and has said she's never had any trouble, I've also read an article in one of the local papers saying the area has an undeserving bad reputation.

We're going to view the houses next week but I want to know if the area really is that bad?

Morning all,

My husband and I are currently looking at buying one of the new builds on the Brearley Forge development (yes, I've read all the posts about Keepmoat before someone links them ;) ) but I'm being warned not to move there by family - brother-in-law is a Police Officer so has warned us off the area because of the reputation.

I have a friend who lives around the corner from the new buildings and has said she's never had any trouble, I've also read an article in one of the local papers saying the area has an undeserving bad reputation.

We're going to view the houses next week but I want to know if the area really is that bad?

It used to be bad but now it's ok ,I've lived on cross for around 30 years and rarely had any trouble ,most of trouble is trargeted so unless you go looking for it you won't find it imo .there are worse places to move to

Hi Chammy,

everywhere has a reputation, dont let reputation put you off. It sounds to me that you are keen on buying in that area do what makes you happy. Dont let other people sway your own decisions. There is worst places to buy than Parsons Cross.

Hope this helps

Isn't it Parson Cross (rather than Parsons or even Parson's)?

Isn't it Parson Cross (rather than Parsons or even Parson's)?

So it is, I've always heard it as Parsons Cross :confused: haha

I lived on parson cross for 8 years, the road I lived on was lovely.. Nearly all the houses were bought and all well kept.. The only reason I moved was, every summer a family of very large women who lived round the corner decided it would be a good idea to drag a sofa out onto the pavement & drink cans of tenants while showing most of their horrific bodies off.. I used to drive home from work thinking "is this what I deserve to see everyday after a hard days graft".. I'm sure the new houses will be full of lovely respectable people, and having seen them look a lot larger than the average new builds, just remember that you will be using the same shops, and still have to come through some not so nice looking places/people to get to the keepmoat homes.

Well, we went up last night so we have a chance to experience the area at different times of the day and I have to admit it was much quieter than our current area. The little row of shops were cleaner and had a couple of kids riding bikes/scooters rather than groups of teenagers trying to get fags LOL

We're "officially" viewing the house on Friday (we've been up for a nosy a couple of times) and will make our final decision then but it's looking positive. My next worry is schooling as the only available school for our son is Grenoside at the moment - nice 45 minute walk for us haha

I lived on parson cross for 8 years, the road I lived on was lovely.. Nearly all the houses were bought and all well kept.. The only reason I moved was, every summer a family of very large women who lived round the corner decided it would be a good idea to drag a sofa out onto the pavement & drink cans of tenants while showing most of their horrific bodies off.. I used to drive home from work thinking "is this what I deserve to see everyday after a hard days graft".. I'm sure the new houses will be full of lovely respectable people, and having seen them look a lot larger than the average new builds, just remember that you will be using the same shops, and still have to come through some not so nice looking places/people to get to the keepmoat homes.

This wouldn't be the road immediately behind the Parson Cross Hotel would it?

If so I know the family, harmless but all the same it doesn't look good. I have family, friends and a employee on the Cross and it is as safe as anywhere. Quite a few bought houses now and the shops on Buchanan are handy as is the Asda with a Farm foods being built.

Go for it, and as said above, you will only find trouble on the Cross if you go looking for it.

This wouldn't be the road immediately behind the Parson Cross Hotel would it?

If so I know the family, harmless but all the same it doesn't look good. I have family, friends and a employee on the Cross and it is as safe as anywhere. Quite a few bought houses now and the shops on Buchanan are handy as is the Asda with a Farm foods being built.

Go for it, and as said above, you will only find trouble on the Cross if you go looking for it.

With regards to your last paragraph; I have no idea what this means.

I was once driving on Chaucer Road and a load of kids threw stones at my car and caused minor damage to it. I most certainly wasn't looking for trouble, I was just driving to my friends house. I didn't have much spare cash at the time so I was gutted about this but paid for the repairs. This was about 2 years ago.

My next worry is schooling as the only available school for our son is Grenoside at the moment - nice 45 minute walk for us haha

There are several Junior chools to consider;

Monteney. Monteney Crescent

Mansell. Chaucer Rd

Southey Green. Crowder Avenue

Grenoside. Norfolk Hill

St Thomas More. Creswick Lane

Its all very subjective as what you call a posh area might be rough to someone else and as long as you and you're family are happy it doesn't really matter. In my opinion though I would be worried about re-sale as new builds tend to sell quickly and at a premium will the house still be easy to sell in 20 years if the area still has a bad rep?

I think you're doing the best thing though in driving around the area at different times, perhaps you should have a walk around the shop fronts and local estates as that usually gives you a better feel for the place.