If you use an estate agent to rent out your property are they liable?

If your property was left in a filthy state by the tenant, are the estate agents liable? Esp as they do property checks every 3 months. The state of a property looks like its inground pet mess, mould and never cleaned . What should i do. The bond isnt enough to cover the costs the agent has said. Do i have a claim against the agent?

What does the contract you had with the agent say in regards to this?

It would be an idiot Agent who allowed or encouraged claims of this nature. I feel you are on a hiding to nothing thinking along the lines you appear to be.

You say the deposit is not enough to cover the cost of rectifying the issues. So be it. The deposit is merely a convenience mechanism for settling things. The avenue still open to you is the one of claiming against the ex-Tenant. Your claim against the ex-Tenant is not limited by the size of the deposit... you just, obviously, cannot take more from that deposit than it amounts to... an impossibility.

If the agent hasn't been doing the quarterly inspections then they are at least in breach of contract.

Don't be surprised if the DPS only give you 10% of the deposit to clear the mess as well, they very rarely give enough money to sort out the mess tenants leave.

Agents not doing the inspections is nothing new, the question is did you notice that the agents weren't sending the quarterly reports to you?