Owls best ever goalkeeper.

This is not a, who you thought was the Owls best ever goalkeeper, this man was my boyhood hero and was and still is Wednesday,s best ever goalkeeper. Us older ones don,t need any convincing, you younger ones may think the likes of Hodge, Turner , Pressman, Woods were better, but not one of them could lace Rons boots.

Click the link and have a read.

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/259220-remembering-the-legend-ron-springett/?tab=comments#comment-7603269

This is not a, who you thought was the Owls best ever goalkeeper, this man was my boyhood hero and was and still is Wednesday,s best ever goalkeeper. Us older ones don,t need any convincing, you younger ones may think the likes of Hodge, Turner , Pressman, Woods were better, but not one of them could lace Rons boots.

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/259220-remembering-the-legend-ron-springett/?tab=comments#comment-7603269

I don't know anyone who rated Woods !

The best! ;)

What a great article,so redolent of the time it was written- how many international footballers today become painters and decorators when they retire?! I really enjoyed reading about Ron - he was in goal the first time I went to Hillsborough with my Dad (1965) and I've yet to see a better keeper at S6.

England selectors did.:hihi:

The England selection Committee lasted up till Walter Winterbottom's tenure. When Alf Ramsey took over in 1963, he demanded, as a condition of the job that he alone chose the team, a facet of the job that remains today. Chris Woods was selected by the then mangers Bobby Robson and Graham Taylor among them.

---------- Post added 12-09-2017 at 17:42 ----------

What a great article,so redolent of the time it was written- how many international footballers today become painters and decorators when they retire?! I really enjoyed reading about Ron - he was in goal the first time I went to Hillsborough with my Dad (1965) and I've yet to see a better keeper at S6.

I believe Ron Springett had the Painting & Decorating business- in his native London- while still a Wednesday player (a nice little earner !). Ron probably only put the 'overalls on' after retirement.

---------- Post added 12-09-2017 at 17:52 ----------

Ron Springett , joined Owls from QPR in 1958 and Wednesday relegated that season. Within 18 months he was England's regular goalie. One of his preceder's was Alan Hodgkinson, not too bad a goalie either.

Springett and Hodgkinson two England international goalkeepers from te same city at the same time.

I agree top notch but he could not stop little Doc Pace

I agree top notch but he could not stop little Doc Pace

As an Owl (me), Peter Swan either !

---------- Post added 12-09-2017 at 18:51 ----------

Springett and Hodgkinson two England international goalkeepers from te same city at the same time.

Maybe off the tilt but how many England goalies -in our lifetime- were born in south Yorkshire ? I give you: Gordon Banks (born Sheffield), Gordon West (born Barnsley), Alan Hodgkinson (born Laughton Common) and David Seaman (born Rotherham).

Edited by stpetre
me