Is Freeholder's permission required?

If you have a garden flat and the garden extention is made of wood, is permission required from the freeholder to knock down the wooden extension and convert it to a solid brick conversion, even if it doesn't require permission from the council because it is within the legal planning extension requirements?

Is it also common practice for the freeholder to require payment for permission for such work or any other work such as knocking down walls etc. from the leaseholder?

Check your lease/paperwork, the answer should be in there.

The exact specifics can vary so you need to check what applied to you.

Most leases contain a standard clause that any building work be notified to the freeholder/management. The insurance on my block of flats has a clause which states that no building work can be done without being notified to the insurer and also covered by a JCT contract.

Maybe it doesnt require planning but it will still come under building regulations [foundations etc ] etc 2734231 ] give them a ring to clear yourself or you could have major prob if you want to sell anytime .Same with planning and ask them to send you a letter to show you went through right channels 2735313

Most leases contain a standard clause that any building work be notified to the freeholder/management. The insurance on my block of flats has a clause which states that no building work can be done without being notified to the insurer and also covered by a JCT contract.

What's a JCT contract?:confused:

What's a JCT contract?:confused:

Joint contracts tribunal

That's a flat lease, presumably house leases are quite different.

That's a flat lease, presumably house leases are quite different.

The OP lives in a flat though, no? AFAIK, for most flats the insurance provision is the responsibility of the freeholder (freehold reversioner?) as opposed to the leaseholder, hence the requirement to report work. It will always depend on the terms of the lease though.

A flat formed by separating a house though, not something built as a block of flats (from what I've understood anyway). So the land lease is probably the house kind...

A flat formed by separating a house though, not something built as a block of flats (from what I've understood anyway). So the land lease is probably the house kind...

No- if each flat was individually sold, that probably involved a lease newly granted on first sale.

This is true even if the whole house was already leasehold, except that the flat sales would then involve underleases.