The mess that is Sheffield Wednesday..

I find it fascinating how easily a thread can vacillate between topics that have not much to do with the original intended subject.

So, if I may, I'd like to bring the focus back to the original...i.e. "The mess that is Sheffield Wednesday".

Is it a mess Owls? Do you agree with that? If so, what should be done about it? If not, why not?

Of course us Blades are going to say it's a mess - and laugh. We'd expect the same from you if it was the other way round. But I'm trying to have a serious discussion here about the state of Sheffield Wednesday Football Club and what needs to happen. Because, in my view, it's the worst state I think I've seen the club in since the desperate years that almost resulted in financial meltdown.

I'm actually not one of these Blades who takes great delight in seeing Wednesday in trouble (apart from when we play you of course). I'd much rather have 2 Sheffield teams in the Prem - playing great football and pulling in big crowds.

But, it seems to me that quite a lot is wrong down there...

For a start, the manager isn't "managing". He's not allowed to! His strings are being pulled by the puppet master above him. He's not the one signing the players or getting involved in contract discussions. That's all done for him - how can that engender loyalty towards him from the players who come in?

The bits that the manager is allowed to do - presumably this includes picking the team and planning the tactics - he doesn't appear to be doing very well.

The commercial competence of the club is questionable - take the shirt fiasco for a start. But look also at what they have spent on players who never seem to make the first team on a regular basis. And apparently now they are struggling to remain within FFP rules.

Then there's the "customer relations" bit. The pricing structure of the club is totally out of synch with its local market. The best seat at Hillsborough costs around £200 more for a season ticket than the best seat at Bramall lane - and, sorry Owls, but the product and service isn't anywhere near as good.

I raise this thread because I think something needs doing about it. I was rather hoping that our Owls brethren might take it seriously and make some constructive comments as to what needs to change. I was hoping, perhaps naively, that this could be the start of a springboard for change at S6.

But if all we want to do is trade blows about what's happened in the past, and "my Dad's bigger than your Dad's" type arguments then what's the point? We'll just have to sit back and watch you in denial as your club slips further behind the one from S2.

Your sudden interest in posting long winded vitriol in the football section is getting a little tedious and predictable considering you've not been this active over the past five years....Funny that...:roll:

I'm surprised Carlos hasn't the support of the players. He's taken all the bullets from the press this season and fully protected his players. I would have thought he earned the respect from the players.

It's been easy as a Blade to laugh at the situation after all we have had to put up with a lot over the past 5 years but I'm now feeling sorry for Carlos.

I don't want Wednesday to do well that's part of my DNA but I hope things work out well for the guy.

quite honestly i don't know what is happening in S6 apart from what i was told this morning, but, when a team can go out and play excellent football (leeds) and then go out and treat the game as though its a friendly kick about i cant see any manager sending a team out to play like that especially a team that has talent which Wednesday have, therefore i do believe they may be some truth in what i have been told?