Sheffield Forum
Your message here

'Boro vs Blades 12/08/17

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield Sport & Activities > Sheffield Football

Reply To Topic
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
12-08-2017, 22:12   #41
chalga
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Total Posts: 5,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hardie View Post
So the slightest of contacts is always a foul? God help the game if that's what they're trying to turn it into.
But you would be OK with turning it into 2 wrongs make a right?
  Reply With Quote
12-08-2017, 22:18   #42
Robbie Loving
Fat McLovin
Robbie Loving's Avatar
 
Moderator
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Always assume work
Total Posts: 16,158
Send a message via MSN to Robbie Loving
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hardie View Post
So the slightest of contacts is always a foul? God help the game if that's what they're trying to turn it into.
Depends on the speed a player is going.
If a player is running at full speed, the slightest touch can make them fly in another direction.
_______
It's just like watching the Blades :)
  Reply With Quote
12-08-2017, 22:19   #43
Jim Hardie
Registered User
Jim Hardie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Total Posts: 6,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalga View Post
But you would be OK with turning it into 2 wrongs make a right?
Two bad decisions are two too many but I think it can be called rough justice.

---------- Post added 12-08-2017 at 22:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Loving View Post
Depends on the speed a player is going.
If a player is running at full speed, the slightest touch can make them fly in another direction.
But not on this occasion. He felt a touch and threw himself down. Only my opinion of course, the man that matters gave a free kick.
_______
CONGRATULATIONS WEDNESDAY
Sheffield's top dogs again in 2016/17
(That's just 42 times in my 68 years)

At last a bit of competition for 2017/18
  Reply With Quote
12-08-2017, 23:19   #44
Carlinate
Registered User
 
Joined: Apr 2017
Total Posts: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hardie View Post
It was never a free kick in the first place but for some reason nobody's questioning that decision.
The free kick was a matter of opinion, but the onside goal was a stone cold fact.
  Reply With Quote
12-08-2017, 23:48   #45
staninoodle
Registered User
staninoodle's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: North Sheffield
Total Posts: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hardie View Post
Two bad decisions are two too many but I think it can be called rough justice.

---------- Post added 12-08-2017 at 22:22 ----------



But not on this occasion. He felt a touch and threw himself down. Only my opinion of course, the man that matters gave a free kick.
He dived simple as,never a free kick,the rest is fantasy
_______
Not often im right,but iv never been wrong!
Will a third world war be profitable once the nukes stop dropping and the fallouts settled and your in your nuclear bunker?
  Reply With Quote
12-08-2017, 23:58   #46
top4718
Registered User
top4718's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Total Posts: 8,988
I seem to remember last season when we had some awful refereeing decisions go against us (the handball at Derby being the most memorable) the refs seem to get worse, wait till you get a Prem one officiating a game.

Last edited by top4718; 13-08-2017 at 00:05.
  Reply With Quote
13-08-2017, 00:00   #47
Jim Hardie
Registered User
Jim Hardie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Total Posts: 6,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlinate View Post
The free kick was a matter of opinion, but the onside goal was a stone cold fact.
That's true but in the opinion of the linesman it was offside. He won't be thinking that tonight of course but the ref might also have a different opinion of his free kick decision after seeing it again.
_______
CONGRATULATIONS WEDNESDAY
Sheffield's top dogs again in 2016/17
(That's just 42 times in my 68 years)

At last a bit of competition for 2017/18
  Reply With Quote
13-08-2017, 00:14   #48
staninoodle
Registered User
staninoodle's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: North Sheffield
Total Posts: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlinate View Post
The free kick was a matter of opinion, but the onside goal was a stone cold fact.
The stonecold fact is,ur kid should have gone for diving,the boro lad never touched him
_______
Not often im right,but iv never been wrong!
Will a third world war be profitable once the nukes stop dropping and the fallouts settled and your in your nuclear bunker?
  Reply With Quote
13-08-2017, 00:30   #49
Mooks
Registered User
Mooks's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Total Posts: 623
Hope this aint true violence at the game tonight kids hurt and others..
Discraceful if true !!!

Last edited by Mooks; 13-08-2017 at 00:40.
  Reply With Quote
13-08-2017, 00:44   #50
top4718
Registered User
top4718's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Total Posts: 8,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooks View Post
Hope this aint true violence at the game tonight kids hurt and others..
Discraceful if true !!!
I've seen some footage that looks very ugly Mooks.
  Reply With Quote
13-08-2017, 07:13   #51
chalga
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Total Posts: 5,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hardie View Post
That's true but in the opinion of the linesman it was offside. He won't be thinking that tonight of course but the ref might also have a different opinion of his free kick decision after seeing it again.
He might want to look at a number of decisions he gave or didn't give which went against us,but we didn't concede a goal as a result that needed another wrong decision to rule out.
  Reply With Quote
13-08-2017, 07:46   #52
*Wallace*
Registered User
*Wallace*'s Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Total Posts: 5,092
Just heard on the radio a description of the violence sounds nasty kids and old people hurt because some "fans" got mardy having a goal disallowed boo hoo grow up,they should be banned,United fought hard to go up and this is how people will think of them in just the second game in the championship.
  Reply With Quote
13-08-2017, 08:39   #53
OPEN BORDERS
Registered User
OPEN BORDERS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Total Posts: 1,115
The 'offside' goal should have stood.
However, I think that Boro deserved the win.
United started off very brightly, but they soon stamped their authority on the game.
Another difficult match on Tuesday now to concentrate on.
  Reply With Quote
13-08-2017, 09:10   #54
speedy69
Registered User
speedy69's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Total Posts: 5,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Wallace* View Post
Just heard on the radio a description of the violence sounds nasty kids and old people hurt because some "fans" got mardy having a goal disallowed boo hoo grow up,they should be banned,United fought hard to go up and this is how people will think of them in just the second game in the championship.
Its time for proper Unitedites to point this scum out and eradicate them from the game, spitting at kids, that is the lowest of the low!
_______
"So MASSIVE the Owls are the only club you can see from outer space"
  Reply With Quote
13-08-2017, 09:53   #55
melthebell
*gets coat*
melthebell's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Near whitby, originally from Sheffield
Total Posts: 53,862
Send a message via MSN to melthebell Send a message via Yahoo to melthebell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooks View Post
Hope this aint true violence at the game tonight kids hurt and others..
Discraceful if true !!!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-40915617
_______
Does your wife know what your up to mel when your in your own little world?
  Reply With Quote
13-08-2017, 09:55   #56
chalga
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Total Posts: 5,196
To be honest,I think that my stated aim of finishing 4th bottom this season is looking more realistic.Unless Boro are far and away the best team in the league,which I don't believe they are,we looked like a team who would be battling to stay up would play against a team looking to go up, on their patch.
We will definitely have to win the games that we think we have a chance of winning,and then pick up a few points we weren't expecting as well.Maybe we can adapt to this type of opposition as we get into the season,have to hope that Wilder can learn quickly,and if it means changing playing style in some games,so be it.
We had nobody holding the ball up front for us because we could hardly get it there,if it means going longer and by passing midfield,so be it.They knew we like to get it out wide and progress down there,we had some success but we were closed down very quickly most of the time.They did the dirty work,the ugly work and were more than prepared to do it,defending high up the pitch,giving us little time on the ball,and forcing mistakes that they turned into their advantage.
  Reply With Quote
13-08-2017, 10:03   #57
melthebell
*gets coat*
melthebell's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Near whitby, originally from Sheffield
Total Posts: 53,862
Send a message via MSN to melthebell Send a message via Yahoo to melthebell
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalga View Post
To be honest,I think that my stated aim of finishing 4th bottom this season is looking more realistic.Unless Boro are far and away the best team in the league,which I don't believe they are,we looked like a team who would be battling to stay up would play against a team looking to go up, on their patch.
We will definitely have to win the games that we think we have a chance of winning,and then pick up a few points we weren't expecting as well.Maybe we can adapt to this type of opposition as we get into the season,have to hope that Wilder can learn quickly,and if it means changing playing style in some games,so be it.
We had nobody holding the ball up front for us because we could hardly get it there,if it means going longer and by passing midfield,so be it.They knew we like to get it out wide and progress down there,we had some success but we were closed down very quickly most of the time.They did the dirty work,the ugly work and were more than prepared to do it,defending high up the pitch,giving us little time on the ball,and forcing mistakes that they turned into their advantage.
tbf to boro its early days yet and i dont think theyre getting into their stride, they will get a lot better.
_______
Does your wife know what your up to mel when your in your own little world?
  Reply With Quote
13-08-2017, 10:19   #58
Carlinate
Registered User
 
Joined: Apr 2017
Total Posts: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by staninoodle View Post
The stonecold fact is,ur kid should have gone for diving,the boro lad never touched him
In the modern game if every time a defender made contact with an opposition player who then took the opportunity to go down earning a free kick someone was sent off you'd be watching a five a side game before half time.

Boro players were doing exactly the same.

I don't like it but if everyone's doing it then everyone will do it.

Fact is the referee decide it was a free kick.

---------- Post added 13-08-2017 at 10:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hardie View Post
That's true but in the opinion of the linesman it was offside. He won't be thinking that tonight of course but the ref might also have a different opinion of his free kick decision after seeing it again.
How many times have you seen a corner awarded when it should have been a goal kick and a goal scored from that corner?

Whilst there will be a moan about the incorrect decision the corner was there to be defended. No one complains about the goal if it was legit.

Same difference.

As I said in my original post, these things happen, nobody died.

The thing that puzzles me is why Sky tried to change their original commentators view ( after several replays) that it was a legit goal by showing two split screen frozen pictures which purported to show the exact same incident at the same time from slightly different angles.

In fact all it proved was that it wasn't offside, and the two images were from different moments as players were in different positions in the second image.

Why do it? What was the point?

Bad decisions happen, nothing can be done about it so why did Sky make themselves look daft by bothering to concoct some obvious blatant nonsense?

A tell thee lad, it weren't like this back in the sixties!
  Reply With Quote
13-08-2017, 10:50   #59
top4718
Registered User
top4718's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Total Posts: 8,988
United were pretty much outplayed yesterday but 'Boro away is one of the seasons toughest games, no need to panic yet.
  Reply With Quote
13-08-2017, 11:25   #60
melthebell
*gets coat*
melthebell's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Near whitby, originally from Sheffield
Total Posts: 53,862
Send a message via MSN to melthebell Send a message via Yahoo to melthebell
Chrissy boys view
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0IkfYrVSPg
_______
Does your wife know what your up to mel when your in your own little world?
  Reply With Quote
Reply To Topic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:26.
POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED
Click "Report Post" under any post which may breach our terms of use.
©2002-2017 Sheffield Forum | Powered by vBulletin ©2017

Nimbus Server