RSPCA Approved Fish Rehoming

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield Interest Groups > Sheffield Pet Owners

Reply To Topic

16-03-2010, 11:51   #21
Moonman

Total Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by daznat View Post
hi iam setting a marine tank up i have had tropical for a long time whats the best fish to get of if anyone wants any rehomeing drop me a pm only got a 2 foot tank but i can try and help

thanks

darrell

Hi Daznat

Follow the advice of what others have said and try keeping some simple tropical fish before moving to marines, as these setups require a lot of time and knowledge to begin with.

I recently bought a tank from a friend and didnt realise when she sold it to me it included a full marine setup including protein skimmer, refractometer, clown fish ocean sand and rock etc. Infact some of you may have seen some marine fish advertised cheap on aquarist classifieds, that was me!! i just wanted to get rid. Those redfire shrimps freak me out!! if anyone is intersted in purchasing a protein skimmer and refractometer drop me a pm.
16-03-2010, 18:22   #22
koikeeper

Total Posts: 802
daznat the best of british luck to you not many fish will fit into a 2ft tank ive been keeping fish now for 30 years all ways had big tanks as the amount of fish i keep from malawis to guppys but never marine to much messing about if i was you bud stick to tropicals and do some reading up on em
18-03-2010, 07:59   #23
daznat

Total Posts: 212
i have been doin research for a bout 2 years i am only getting use to haveing marine fish in a 2 foot on then going to get a 4ft plus its just to get use to have them if you know what i mean
18-03-2010, 10:13   #24
clipse_06

Total Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by daznat View Post
i have been doin research for a bout 2 years i am only getting use to haveing marine fish in a 2 foot on then going to get a 4ft plus its just to get use to have them if you know what i mean

if i was you m8 i would go straight for a 4ft and not being funny but if you had been researching for 2 years you would know that bigger is always better with marine as water parameters are alot easier to keep stable in a larger tank, which also means you are giving your corals and fish a better chance of survival. marine fish keeping is not hard as long as you do it right in the 1st place and take your time because you have to let things adjust slowly.
i wish you luck m8 and hope it all goes smoothly for you but my best bit of advice and knowledge is start big as you will only want to upgrade so you might aswell get the biggest tank you can because it become's alot of hassle when your switching tanks over.
18-03-2010, 18:40   #25
daznat

Total Posts: 212
the only trubble is iam hopeing to move soon and then i will be geting a bigger tank but at the moment iam put in my place with the lady lol
06-02-2011, 00:02   #26
cam@emma

Total Posts: 323
i myself have alot to do with Richard Holland wen i 1st started fish keeping bout 2years ago he helped me alot as for hi kitchen his 7ft tank is amazeing im not rspca reg but have also had a few unwanted fish and am always looking for more and good work to richard your doing a great job
06-02-2011, 00:03   #27
cam@emma

i myself have alot to do with Richard Holland wen i 1st started fish keeping bout 2years ago he helped me alot as for hi kitchen his 7ft tank is amazeing im not rspca reg but have also had a few unwanted fish and am always looking for more and good work to richard your doing a great job
06-02-2011, 12:16   #28
groovemaster

Total Posts: 270
Can't believe you can still buy pangs on ebay =\

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pangasius-Catf...1#ht_896wt_907
06-02-2011, 12:56   #29
Angilaruk

Total Posts: 1,055
can@emma ~ Richard really is a smashing fella, shared some family history with him as I have Hollands in our family

Groovemaster, you'd be surprised what fish some folk buy and sell. Arapaima's are being imported and they get even bigger than red tail catfish.

I think any shop that sells large growing fish should tell the buyer, after all most folk buy a plec or a red tail catfish without realising just how big they really get. Hence the rescue of both fish always being sought.
_______
Want something to do at the weekend? Fancy re-enacting the English Civil War? Have a look at our website www.Molyneuxs.webs.com
06-02-2011, 13:46   #30
groovemaster

Total Posts: 270
Yeah I have seen quite a few monster fish being sold as cute 1inch hobby fish. When I bought my first aquarium many moons ago I bought 2 pangs and was told they only grow to 4inch lol and that a well known pet shop.

When I discovered the potential growth I took them straight back, the shop was full and he swiftly snapped them back off me and gave me my money back not letting on to the costumers why I wasn't happy.

Its sad that they are still allowed to sell such large fish as 'home hobby fish' =[
09-02-2011, 04:18   #31
purple.sarah

Total Posts: 1,220
Thank you so much for the info. I have a friend whose fish are eating her other fish and she hasn't got the space to separate them I've passed Richard's contact details on to her in the hope she will rehome some.
18-02-2011, 17:02   #32
cam@emma

yes he is a top man so helpful and kind i have never seen anyone like him and his passion for fish
13-08-2017, 00:16   #33
xsarx

Total Posts: 165
Send a message via Skype™ to xsarx
Hello, does Richard still run the fish rescue?

I am looking for a large goldfish to rehome to keep my goldfish company.

Thanks,
Reply To Topic