Brunswick Chapel

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me where Brunswick Chapel, South Street, Sheffield is as i cannot seem to find it on google maps.

Is it still there or has it been pulled down?

Regards

Sue

Brunswick Chapel was at the bottom of the Moor which was called South Street before being renamed the Moor.

You can find photographs of the chapel at http://www.picturesheffield.com

It has now been demolished/ may have been detroyed in the blitz.

Tuppie

Edited by Tuppie

Brunswick Chapel was at the bottom of the Moor which was called South Street before being renamed the Moor.

You can find photographs of the chapel at http://www.picturesheffield.com

It has now been demolished/ may have been detroyed in the blitz.

Tuppie

hiya as i remember it was at the junctions of the moor,london rd. ecclesall rd if you stood at the bottom of ecclesall rd and looked towards bramall lane thats where it was it was a big building with high railings around the perimeter. during the war there were a small row of shops ,red circle library,sharpes greengrocers, and a clothes cleaners, just befolre the landsdown, later the locarno.

Brunswick Chapel was apparently bombed during the war, and the stone pillars were moved by Henry Boot to a field out near Strines, near Boots Folly tower, so that they could be re-used if it was ever rebuilt. It never was, so the pillars are still out near Bradfield!

I seem to remember it still being there (bottom of the moor) in the mid 1950s.

The remains of the people buried there were moved to the General Cemetery, there's a plaque on the wall.

Here is an old map showing the location of the former Brunswick Chapel.

Interesting to see Porter Brook before it was culverted.

Interesting to see Porter Brook before it was culverted.
Yes indeed - here is a wider view. The map dates from the 1890s.

Brunswick Chapel was apparently bombed during the war, and the stone pillars were moved by Henry Boot to a field out near Strines, near Boots Folly tower, so that they could be re-used if it was ever rebuilt. It never was, so the pillars are still out near Bradfield!

Does anyone know whether the Methodist church records stored there were destroyed in the bombing, did any survive?

Here is an old map showing the location of the former Brunswick Chapel.

Hello,

Thanks for the taking the trouble to provide the map(s)

I seem to recall the old chapel had a number of tenants before it was eventually demolish and one of these was Graham's furniture. Does any body remember that ?

And another thing. If you study the map(s) closely, you will notice a small "L" shaped building on the opposite side of Porter Brook (between the brook and Ellin street) In the 1950's, this was the place you went to for chest x-rays. I always suspected this had been part of the Brunswick chapel properties for there was a little foot bridge over the brook, which would have connected the two, although it was block-off by my time. Does anybody remember this as well?

Regards