Sharrow Lane School

Sharrow Lane school is about to close this month for the last time, to be replaced by the new building just 200 yards away at the side of Mount Pleasant Park. I believe there is an initiative starting to enable former pupils to revisit the premises and obviously relive some lovely memories.

I don't at this stage know any more details !

I was a pupil there between 1951 and 1958. Memories of the Headmistress, Miss Vick and her teachers Mrs Woodger, Mrs Goodfellow and Miss Hare.

Moving into the juniors and Headmaster Mr Davies and his teachers Mr Furniss, Mrs Pearson, Mr Self, Mr Wild and Mr Foster. I also remember Mr Buxton, Mr Rowland and Mrs Robinson.

Memories of school dinners, visits to the baths at Heeley, school pantomines and Christmas parties in the hall. Football and rounders in the playground and the occasional pea soup fog when day turned to night.

Lets have your memories please and does anyone know any more details regarding visiting the school or contacting former pupils

there are some excellent photos on friendsreunited of sharrow lane school from the 60's and 70's.

I was a pupil there in the 70's, my teachers included :-

Mrs Dennis, Mr Blackwell, Mr Heward, Mr Rigby, Mr Walker and Mrs Pearson, Mrs Alflat was also a teacher there, but we only really had her for music.

The headmaster was Mr Allen, when I started there, and, when he retired, Mr bishop took over as headmaster.

I am sad that the old building is going, as it was a big part of my childhood, but it was incredibly poor in terms of access etc.

The school dinners were brilliant, on the whole (remember those melamine plates, which were the colour of refreshers sweets?) I remember 2 dinner ladies, one was the mother of a boy called stefan, (can't remember her name!!) and Mrs Levick (Levitt?) a smaller, older lady, who had a reputation as a bit of a harridan.

I remember the "hike" to heeley baths, (where I dived in, and smacked my head on the bottom, knocking myself out. Still have the lump on my forehead, nearly 35 years on!)

I Also remember the walk along Washington road, over to Porter Croft School to use their cinder field for P.E /games. Sports day would be held up warminster road, at the university's sports field. We'd be bussed up there by SYT.

I remember standing on a carved, solid stone bench, at the bottom of the girls'/ infants yard, looking over the wall of the schoolyard calling to passers-by.

I also remember the "terrapin" mobile classroom, at the top end of the girls' yard. The mobile classroom disappeared for many years, and has now reappeared!

I have some lovely memories of this school,i was there from 58 to 64 it would be so nice to have a chance to have a look round.I wonder if i phoned the school they would know when this is going to take place,think i,ll call tomorrow and try to find out.Will let you know the outcome.

Further to my message starting off this thread.

I am trying with some difficulty to remember names from my time at the school between 1951 and 1958, especially prior to 1956 when the classes were boys and girls together. Here goes with a list of names. Are any of you out there, or does anyone know the whereabouts of these folks ? Please PM me with details.

Elizabeth Brownhill, Linda Firth, Christine Broadhurst, Pauline Allen, Jennifer Ellis, David Morley, John Warrington, Ian Dean, Stan Rowbotham, Ann Dale, Barbara Childs, Carol Titterton, Jaqueline Foxcroft, Linda Beecroft, Andrew Barson, Trevor Briggs, John Gascoigne, David Jones and Susan Pitts.

There are some names I remember on Friends Reunited, which I haven't mentioned here !

There are a lot of former Sharrow Lane inmates on SF, including me.

I would love to attend if possible.:)

Good morning Treatment

Watch this space !

I am trying to spread the word along with another ex pupil.

Just about to Google ' Sharrow Lane School ' and see what there is.

Might try Rony Robinson today on Radio Sheffield.

Might be an idea for you to mention a list of names as I did in a previous post.

Could be a lot of folks thinking they can't be bothered about a visit and reunion. That would be a shame !

I am trying to spread the word along with another ex pupil.

Just about to Google ' Sharrow Lane School ' and see what there is.

Might try Rony Robinson today on Radio Sheffield.

Runningman.

Have you peeped at the photos on FU? they are great.

Did you go on Rony's show today? I had to go out to an appointment, so wasn't able to listen in for it... :(

hi i was there in the 70s too remember the silver jubilee we had to get a doll and make and outfit in red white and blue also had photo taken in school yard

my teacher was mrs Alflat remember i sat next to john gee in class also remember mr walker saw him once in town and wondered where id seen him before be nice to go back one more time as i pass it on the way to my mums

Called the school today no info at the moment.Anyone elsefound anything out ?

Called the school today no info at the moment.Anyone elsefound anything out ?

Found this info relating to what is proposed for the old building - demolition.

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:fupdbXgp8-cJ:www.sheffield.gov.uk/EasySite/lib/serveDocument.asp%3Fdoc%3D47463%26pgid%3D64963+sharrow+school&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=16&gl=uk

Also found reference for school records held at Sheffield Archives, period 1887-2004.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/searches/sidocs.asp?SIR=O116074

Did the school open in 1887? Both my mother and my grandmother (who was born in nineteen hundred and eight), attended the school but I do not know when it actually opened. Anyone know for certain?

Leipzig

I started in the infants in Jan 1928,then went into the juniors about 1931,and then to the seniors in '33,leaving Xmas '36 at age 14 to work full time. The only teacher in the juniors I can remember is Miss Wyatt. The teachers in the seniors I remember were, Headmaster Mr Robinson (what a disciplinarian he was)Mr Godfrey (my teacher),Mr Barden,Mr Sherbrook,Mr Healey and Mr Thorpe. Note,they were all men in the seniors. There were no school meals in those days,we all went home for dinner,as Mothers did'nt go out to work.

About eight years or more ago,I was in town and paid a visit to to the old place during school holidays. The old seniors did'nt seem to have altered a great deal in all those years. The assembly hall was more or less the same as I remember it,the clock in the same position (used to hope it woud move faster!), The big difference was,where the cloakroom used to be,were now toilets. Ours used to be out in the playground. Ah! the playgroubd. We played cricket in Summer,and football in the Winter,that was when it was'nt freezing,and then we were busy making slides. I have fond memories of the old school. PS. I was a sports monitor,so always had first use of the bat at dinner time!