To Parents who have Children at High Storrs

High Storrs are currently seeking new Parent Governors.

However my daughter never brought home the letter inviting applications for the role and the first we knew about it was when a letter arrived telling us about the 3 candidates who were standing. My wife was keen to get involved but because we never had the first letter (dated June 2018 on their website) she has not been able to express interest.

I spoke to several friends of ours who also have kids at HS and none of them had the initial letter either.

I know this may seem like a silly small point but it matters a great deal to me and I suppose I am asking all parents who have children at HS whether they can recall getting that initial letter from June 2018 which starts:

June 2018

Dear Parent / Carer

Re: Election of Parent Governors to the Governing Body of High Storrs School

If you could simply state whether you got it or not I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks all.

Yes.

We received it.

Ah ...........parent governors.

Is that where the butcher, baker, candle stick maker explain how to fix roof tiles?

The same collective of individuals who, when asked for directions to Maltby said 'I wouldn't start from here....'?

It's where I've been going wrong all these years. I used to take my car to the guy at the local garage until I realised he didn't know what he was doing. After all, he'd been doing it for years, so what did he know?

Things improved massivey when I had a parcel arrive and I asked the woman delivering it to have a look under the bonnet. She explained the dripping oil was due to my worn tyres and driving under 30 mph where there's street lighting. She suggested appropriate changes be made.

As she worked at the Post Office she clearly had years of delivering letters, carrying a heavy bag and walking miles. Such expertise is hard to find. Bag ladies are important people. I was fortunate she was so public spirited and willing to tell me exactly what, where and when and how to proceed.

She was aided by the comments of a guy doing a dropped kerb opposite who added that it would be better to fit snow chains onto those new tyres.

I queried this as it was now June and we were enjoying 30 degree temperatures. However, he said this was mid to long term planning and the introduction of a rolling programme. It would be cost effective, qualify for 'Ice Cool' status and a subsequent grant from the Peoples Lost Opportunity Now Keeping Everyone Resourced Society [PLONKERS].

Of course, we didn't see ourselves as being a load of grant beneficiaries but that's what we were.

I explained this to my family and my wife accepted her new role of tyre checker and we budgeted for the purchase of a tyre sponge to keep them clean. My two sons then did a job share two days a week each of tyre kicker. Than left us with the newly created role of oil spot on drive observer. This post was filled on a voluntary support assistant basis by bringing in a neighbour.

I've placed a bucket by the front gate for donations and am drafting a begging letter that will most certainly be received by all neighbours asking them to decide which option they prefer: cough up, shell out or pay up.

This consultation proceedure was suggested by the window cleaner, who happens to be a local councillor. Quite surprising as he usually ignores us.

So we have a bucket in place and anyone who says they didn't see it will get the chance to pay double.

Four new tyres later and foot to the floor has seen a great improvement. In fact there's no oil leak at all now.

I'm having the rattling and blue smoke looked at by a fella who put my neighbours new windows in.

He'd only had them a week.

However, we're recycling the glass as compost for the allotment society. They queried this too but upon realising my experience in the Manure Industry soon saw I was talking sense.

A sense of community is shared by us all and this shows a way forward. When we find ourselves with our backs to the wall, we need to turn around and face these problems and take a step forwards.

Together.

After all, when in a hole sometimes a bigger shovel is needed.

Keep digging and doing your little bit for your little Britain!

Edited by Owethemnowt

Chip? Shoulder?

Nay. Surely not.

We didn't receive it. We rarely get hard copies of anything and it wasn't included in the weekly 'letters home' email.

OweThemNowt I think you're missing the point.

So in breaking news, it seems not all children can be trusted to ensure letters given to them at school actually get home.

Who knew?!

High Storrs are currently seeking new Parent Governors.

However my daughter never brought home the letter inviting applications for the role and the first we knew about it was when a letter arrived telling us about the 3 candidates who were standing. My wife was keen to get involved but because we never had the first letter (dated June 2018 on their website) she has not been able to express interest.

I spoke to several friends of ours who also have kids at HS and none of them had the initial letter either.

I know this may seem like a silly small point but it matters a great deal to me and I suppose I am asking all parents who have children at HS whether they can recall getting that initial letter from June 2018 which starts:

June 2018

Dear Parent / Carer

Re: Election of Parent Governors to the Governing Body of High Storrs School

If you could simply state whether you got it or not I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks all.

The obvious starting point would be to ask your daughter whether she was given the letter to bring home. have you done this?

For High Storres School all correspondence from the school can be onbtained by email. I regularly get emails keeping me informed. Letters given to kids is old school

For High Storres School all correspondence from the school can be onbtained by email. I regularly get emails keeping me informed. Letters given to kids is old school

It's very hit and miss. Some letters (like this one) aren't listed on the email (but are - sometimes - on the website). Others are on neither and only come as hard copy. They don't have a consistent system.

The (your) obvious implication is that there is a conspiracy to have only particular candidates for the job.

Are there any common factors that link the successful 3 candidates?

Have any of the candidates revealed how they got on the ballot paper?