Tinsley Viaduct to be closed for roadworks

and why was it re-opened with an extra lane??

I thought it was reduced to two lanes because of an EU directive?

Which one?

It's not long since fully re-opened after the last lot of roadworks...

Which one?

That was the top deck carrying the M1 which is now 3 lanes, both north and south.

These works relate to the bottom deck which carries the A631. Contrary to what the sensational headline implies, the viaduct is not being closed. There will be carriageway closures but the inner service road will be used to enable full two way traffic albeit with reduced speed limits. However, it would appear the newspaper report is correct as far as heavy goods vehicles are concerned, which will be diverted from the lower deck..

As per normal with the press it is a sensational headline implying that the complete viaduct is to be closed when this is not the case.

That was the top deck carrying the M1 which is now 3 lanes, both north and south.

These works relate to the bottom deck which carries the A631. Contrary to what the sensational headline implies, the viaduct is not being closed. There will be carriageway closures but the inner service road will be used to enable full two way traffic albeit with reduced speed limits. However, it would appear the newspaper report is correct as far as heavy goods vehicles are concerned, which will be diverted from the lower deck..

As per normal with the press it is a sensational headline implying that the complete viaduct is to be closed when this is not the case.

Yep I know ..I was asking which EU directive had said there couldn't be three lanes on there... :)

Yep I know ..I was asking which EU directive had said there couldn't be three lanes on there... :)

AFAIK it wasn't a EU directive, the work was needed to repair defects- possibly due to the original box girder design. see here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinsley_Viaduct

Many bridges around the country have had to be strengthened due to an EU directive allowing heavier lorries but I think that was only partly the reason for the work on the viaduct.

Doens't say which directive, all it says it:

the M1 was permanently reduced to 2 lanes following an EU directive on load bearing capacity to allow for the introduction of 40-tonne trucks in the UK.

Which obviously we all know it used to be 2-lanes in each direction having driven over it plenty of times.

but since the recent roadworks it's now been increased to three lanes, did they do further work to increase strength while installing the smart motorway??

Doens't say which directive, all it says it:

Which obviously we all know it used to be 2-lanes in each direction having driven over it plenty of times.

but since the recent roadworks it's now been increased to three lanes, did they do further work to increase strength while installing the smart motorway??

It was 3 lanes when it was first built...

Upwell streets closing for 6 weeks as well in August/September, Attercliffe's going to be gridlocked now.

Upwell streets closing for 6 weeks as well in August/September, Attercliffe's going to be gridlocked now.

Is that so all the litter left by the local residents can be cleared up?

Think it starts 27th July? It's not all that long ago that the street was re-surfaced.