Swift Levick history of company

I am looking for a history of Swift Levick, nothing in great depth, along the lines of when the company was formed, its owners over the years and their products. Does anyone know of any publications with these sort of details. Thanks for reading, Robert.

I can tell you Swift Levick was going in 1896 on Norfolk Bridge as they were advertising for file forgers. I found this in the Sheffield Telegraph archives

Edited by smary

An article "End of the Road in UK for Swift Levick" in The Star of 21 September 2007 states that the firm was founded in 1883:.

"Swift Levick was founded in 1883 by Thomas Swift Levick and a Mr M'Gillivary. The company produced high quality crucible steel and, after the initial partnership was dissolved, Thomas Levick was joined by his three sons. In 1912, one of the sons, Henry, decided to start manufacturing permanent magnets, which had nearly all been manufactured in Germany until then. Swift Levick was acquired by the Duport Group in 1978, who sold the firm on to the Magnetic Materials Group three years later. The company was acquired by Outokumpu, the Finnish group best known for producing stainless steel, in 1989."

Good old Hillsboro - we can always count of your knowledge.

Good old Hillsboro - we can always count of your knowledge.
Thanks, smary!.:) Mrs Hillsbro, bless her, thinks I'm a harmless old eccentric, but eccentricity can sometimes have its advantages! :P

An article "End of the Road in UK for Swift Levick" in The Star of 21 September 2007 states that the firm was founded in 1883:.

"Swift Levick was founded in 1883 by Thomas Swift Levick and a Mr M'Gillivary. The company produced high quality crucible steel and, after the initial partnership was dissolved, Thomas Levick was joined by his three sons. In 1912, one of the sons, Henry, decided to start manufacturing permanent magnets, which had nearly all been manufactured in Germany until then. Swift Levick was acquired by the Duport Group in 1978, who sold the firm on to the Magnetic Materials Group three years later. The company was acquired by Outokumpu, the Finnish group best known for producing stainless steel, in 1989."[/quote Were Swift Levick based at Warren Street, Norfolk Bridge ?

Edited by St Petre
Spell

Were Swift Levick based at Warren Street, Norfolk Bridge ?
They were just cross the river from there on Leveson Street (between Foley Street and Effingham Road) where they are shown in the Kelly's directories I have from 1901 to 1974. Here is a link to a "picturesheffield" photo.

They were just cross the river from there on Leveson Street (between Foley Street and Effingham Road) where they are shown in the Kelly's directories I have from 1901 to 1974. Here is a link to a "picturesheffield" photo.

Thanks Mr.H. I wonder what the firm on Warren Street was that I'm thinking of