Does anyone still eat tripe?

I tried chitterlings as they sounded scrummy.

Well, the smell as they cooked was disgusting.

It smelled as if the pig had had diarrhoea in the frying pan.

Into the dustbin they went.

Never had them cooked, salt and vinegar on them cold, same with the bag.

Very popular in authentic Chinese restaurants apparently..but then so is pigs feet and hot and tasty frog. I'll pass thanks

The French have chitterling sausages called ‘andouillettes’.

If you are not French the waiter/waitress will always ask you if you are aware what you are ordering. It’s a very strong,and quite an acquired, taste. There’s an association which regulates the quality of andouillettes using the initials A.A.A.A.A.

The taste is much stronger than the pressed, and then sliced, chitterlings I had as a kid.

The French have chitterling sausages called ‘andouillettes’.

If you are not French the waiter/waitress will always ask you if you are aware what you are ordering. It’s a very strong,and quite an acquired, taste. There’s an association which regulates the quality of andouillettes using the initials A.A.A.A.A.

The taste is much stronger than the pressed, and then sliced, chitterlings I had as a kid.

these people dont seem too happy about Chitterings..

Its good for them . mine have it everyday .

Don't forget no calcium in raw tripe, but good for dogs mine loves it. If people saw it as it comes out of the animal I don't think they'd eat it,very smelly.

these people dont seem too happy about Chitterings..

Omg no wonder my mates called me weird for eating that stuff, don't think I could tackle it today. :gag:

My parents ate an awful lot of what I term OFFAL in general and also fed it to myself and my brother.

Cheap nutricious food and no additives, yes no additives !!

Sheep's brain from memory with bread and butter was a favourite.

How much are the additives in today's food contributing to certain areas of poor health in later years ?

My parents ate an awful lot of what I term OFFAL in general and also fed it to myself and my brother.

Cheap nutricious food and no additives, yes no additives !!

Sheep's brain from memory with bread and butter was a favourite.

How much are the additives in today's food contributing to certain areas of poor health in later years ?

Sheeps brains, now I have a memory of some sitting in a clear pyrex basin , it looked like something Frankenstein would have in his lab. But when they were cooked they looked like soft fish roe, and were quite tasty. Yes you are right in post war, working class England you ate what you were given, no options.

My late grandfather was close to heaven in the Castle Market, he would have a small dish of tripe with salt, pepper and vinegar. followed by three raw oysters with salt and pepper.

My late grandfather was close to heaven in the Castle Market, he would have a small dish of tripe with salt, pepper and vinegar. followed by three raw oysters with salt and pepper.

Those stalls had all kinds of things on little saucers, didn't they? Just about any kind of shellfish, tripe, mushy peas with mint sauce, small pieces of kipper or some smoked fish. Lots of cheap tasty goodies to be had at that market and the one in Rotherham too. Used to love ha'penny ducks, sprats, pork chaps( spelling is correct) and hocks, pigs trotters, udder,beef heart plus all the stuff mentioned earlier. All that food for next to nowt and all very tasty

Those stalls had all kinds of things on little saucers, didn't they? Just about any kind of shellfish, tripe, mushy peas with mint sauce, small pieces of kipper or some smoked fish. Lots of cheap tasty goodies to be had at that market and the one in Rotherham too. Used to love ha'penny ducks, sprats, pork chaps( spelling is correct) and hocks, pigs trotters, udder,beef heart plus all the stuff mentioned earlier. All that food for next to nowt and all very tasty

I didn’t advance beyond a dish of mussels, until many years later when I discovered roe on scallops, obviously not on a market stall. Thinking back, if something appeared to be inedible, my grandfather loved it, bless him. :shocked: