Old Stannington

Anyone remember Shirley Wright? She lived on a farm right at the end of the village in the 60s, then she married a man called John and they lived in a lovely renovated cottage up from the Hare & Hounds. Lost touch after I came to Australia, and she was my very best friend, would love to know if she's still around.

Hi Nick, Sure, I remember you I've been gone for 52 years and never been back but am going to England on Aug 4. Can't wait to get to Stannington and see who I can find. Do you know what happened to the girls? I'm not on Face book. Really don't have the time for it.

---------- Post added 19-07-2018 at 22:21 ----------

Can't send you a PM until I have 5 msgs posted.

---------- Post added 20-07-2018 at 11:15 ----------

Is the rec. still at the bottom of the Rise? And the Post Office just a bit further on than the primary school? What number bus runs up there now? It used to be No.7. and used to go from behind the cathedral(?) in town, can't remember the name of that street. I suppose it's all changed now, but want to be able to catch a bus up there when I come over.

......Yes the rec is still there but the Knowle Top post office is long gone that Rhodes ran.The old No 7 bus from Stannington to Campo Lane is long gone also but the trams have made a comeback from Malin Bridge.Not sure if Shirley Wright is still around she marrield John Gilman now passed on!.Pity you are not on F/Book there's lots on the Stannington Forum.Don't see any of the girls mentioned.

Thanks for that. That's right, she married John Gilman, wonder where she is now. I will try to get on Facebook, but as I'm still working and looking after grandchildren I don't have time to sit and try to work it all out. And with coming over there in less than 2 weeks, time is a bit on the short side. Looking forward to seeing the old places again. Hope the weather stays nice!

---------- Post added 24-07-2018 at 07:21 ----------

Trams are back, but how do you get up the hill to Stannington? Is the Hare & Hounds still there? And I remember the Lomas Hall, we used to go to dances there on a Friday night. It was a great meeting place. Also remember Rev. Stebbings my Dad used to tell me that when the Rev. went to town, he would call at all the pubs on the way home and never have to buy a drink, and he only had one drink in every pub. Don't know if it's true or not but that's what I was told.

My Mum and Dad were married by Rev Stebbings back in 1954

If he was 'over the limit' when he married them does that mean that their marriage was not legal ? :o

My Mum and Dad were married by Rev Stebbings back in 1954

If he was 'over the limit' when he married them does that mean that their marriage was not legal ? :o

It's quite legal but the marriage licence has an endorsement..;)

It's quite legal but the marriage licence has an endorsement..;)
:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:!

I was a choirboy at Stannington Church when Rev,Francis Augustus Stebbings was the Vicar!..........he was legendry.

I drive up through the village ever now & then on my way to either Damflask or the brewery at Bradfield, can't believe how it's changed since I lived there

!

I was a choirboy at Stannington Church when Rev,Francis Augustus Stebbings was the Vicar!..........he was legendry.

I only met Rev. F.A. Stebbing a few times in my early teens but it's clear that he was a wonderful vicar and everyone thought the world of him. My dad often told the story of how he gave him a lift from Hollow Meadows to the church on his motorbike - see my post #42 on Page 3.

On 22/07/2018 at 07:36, Crabowil said:

Anyone remember Shirley Wright? She lived on a farm right at the end of the village in the 60s, then she married a man called John and they lived in a lovely renovated cottage up from the Hare & Hounds. Lost touch after I came to Australia, and she was my very best friend, would love to know if she's still around.

On 22/07/2018 at 10:00, mossdog said:
Crabowil said:
Hi Nick, Sure, I remember you I've been gone for 52 years and never been back but am going to England on Aug 4. Can't wait to get to Stannington and see who I can find. Do you know what happened to the girls? I'm not on Face book. Really don't have the time for it.

---------- Post added 19-07-2018 at 22:21 ----------

Can't send you a PM until I have 5 msgs posted.

---------- Post added 20-07-2018 at 11:15 ----------

Is the rec. still at the bottom of the Rise? And the Post Office just a bit further on than the primary school? What number bus runs up there now? It used to be No.7. and used to go from behind the cathedral(?) in town, can't remember the name of that street. I suppose it's all changed now, but want to be able to catch a bus up there when I come over.

......Yes the rec is still there but the Knowle Top post office is long gone that Rhodes ran.The old No 7 bus from Stannington to Campo Lane is long gone also but the trams have made a comeback from Malin Bridge.Not sure if Shirley Wright is still around she marrield John Gilman now passed on!.Pity you are not on F/Book there's lots on the Stannington Forum.Don't see any of the girls mentioned.

I believe you are looking for someone called Shirley wright which then changed to Gilman after she married. I may be able to help you as I believe your talking about my Nan.