Understanding the universe.

As Carosio suggests, the word 'appears' in that context normally means that we aren't sure it's really happening. Not that it just came into view from around a corner.

The floating superconductor appeared from around the corner.

The superconductor appeared to be floating.

The superconductor was floating.

Hence why I thought it was an odd use of the word 'appears'. The sentence is less ambiguous and more specific without it.

"hence the superconductor holds its position from the magnet."

Removed the word 'appears' and now it's a more positive statement about what actually happens with no inference that it might possibly not be really happening.

It was only a small aside though, the sentence was still correct, it just struck me as a little suggestive that it was only an appearance of hovering.

Cyclone,

With your elaboration on the point-it becomes clear what you meant.

This topic is now 87 pages and still no one here understands the universe. Try meditation it could answer many of the questions asked.

How can meditation possibly help you to understand the universe? You might as well do origami or yoga, you're just as likely to gain understanding as you are meditating.

How can meditation possibly help you to understand the universe? You might as well do origami or yoga, you're just as likely to gain understanding as you are meditating.

Meditation helps to silence the mind, in this silence you see your inner center again. Your inner center is in contact with the universe, it was the mind clapping all the time that stopped you from seeing this.

Yoga vs meditation or other methods is more a discussion of different techniques available to silence the mind. Yoga is physical, meditation uses consciousness.

Origami or sitting on the toilet or anything can only be meditative when done by someone in a meditative state.

Irrelevant of the method or technique you use, as long as you keep thinking about it the more confused you get about the universe. When you reach a meditative silence these questions disappear and answers arise naturally and you are in touch with the universe again.

Edited by dutch

You're just a collection of electrical impulses and chemicals sloshing around. You don't have a mystical connection to reality that you can find. The universe isn't something you can 'connect' to, it's everything, but when we talk about understanding it, we're talking about the physical processes and rules that govern how it works.

As long as you don't think about it, the longer you will go without understanding anything about the universe.

Newton didn't explain gravity by diligently spending time not thinking about it. Einstein didn't explain relativity by sitting still and emptying his mind.

Not thinking results in not understanding.

If you want to discuss meditation and stillness, then this is the wrong thread for it.

You are right there will be few if any out there who understand meditation. This forum is not about that. I just mentioned that meditation does answer the questions asked here. Only few will go that way and discover it.

You still identify with the physical, that is probably why you ask about yoga. Nobody is a physical robot. There is conscious awareness witnessing watching these physical things. Einstein was not a pc. He reached a level of awareness that brought him closer to the universe and certain scientific answers arose in him. You focus on the electrons and chemicals.

I watch and witness the consciousness capable of being aware of these chemicals.

It has answered my quistions about the universe.

Edited by dutch

OK so is the earth flat?

OK so is the earth flat?

I do know that I'm not da vinci.

But if you really want to know what my answer is.

Stupid question stupid answer, the earth is square.

You are right there will be few if any out there who understand meditation. This forum is not about that. I just mentioned that meditation does answer the questions asked here. Only few will go that way and discover it.

You still identify with the physical, that is probably why you ask about yoga. Nobody is a physical robot. There is conscious awareness witnessing watching these physical things. Einstein was not a pc. He reached a level of awareness that brought him closer to the universe and certain scientific answers arose in him. You focus on the electrons and chemicals.

I watch and witness the consciousness capable of being aware of these chemicals.

It doesn't answer the question posed here. It can't, pretty much by definition.

I didn't ask about yoga.

You fool yourself into believing that there is something mystical, there isn't.

It doesn't answer the question posed here. It can't, pretty much by definition.

I didn't ask about yoga.

You fool yourself into believing that there is something mystical, there isn't.

Who is this yourself you are referring to? Do you know yourself? It is not an electron or chemical.

You mentioned earlier might as well do yoga as meditation but I'm rather certain you cannot see difference of physical yoga approach as using consciousness to connect to universe.

Meditation goes beyond ego and believe systems. The believer who was fooling themselves disappears in the universe. You have always been in the universe but keep believing that you are separated from it, this creates all the questions and need to understand it. Find some way to come back to the center and the questions are solved.

Meditation helps to silence the mind, in this silence you see your inner center again. Your inner center is in contact with the universe, it was the mind clapping all the time that stopped you from seeing this.

Yoga vs meditation or other methods is more a discussion of different techniques available to silence the mind. Yoga is physical, meditation uses consciousness.

Origami or sitting on the toilet or anything can only be meditative when done by someone in a meditative state.

Irrelevant of the method or technique you use, as long as you keep thinking about it the more confused you get about the universe. When you reach a meditative silence these questions disappear and answers arise naturally and you are in touch with the universe again.

That doesn't mean anything, it's just word soup.