The Ponderosa - what was it?

Hiya Lotti, The link shows the "tip" as we knew it then, (The ponderosa) as you know it now. The road running down the side of it is known as Bromley Street. where I was Born and brought up,I lived at number 94 across the yard from the shop that you can see in the bottom, next to the gates that led on to the tip. The street to the left is Wentworth st. and the flats to the left are on Martin St. I used to have a paper round, delivering to the flats..

The bottom field was used for tipping ashes from some firm or other, that was how it got its name.

Bluebird was quite right about the ponderosa at Tinsley Park,he gave an accurate description.

I hope this helps

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-...f.refno=u01761

deecee

There was a factory on the public wide foot path previously known as Red Hill across the Ponderosa to the flats on the bottom side towards the Infirmary.

---------- Post added 17-07-2018 at 10:48 ----------

The area known as The Ponderosa was behind the old infirmary it was named the Ponderosa by the Halfpenny football team from the Kelvin flats who used to train there. it was so named because of the white fence that surrounded it much like the ranch in one of the early 70s television westerns was it The High Chaperal or something like that. Jack Yates and Mickey Dawson used to run it.

What year did you name it that we called it that in the early 60's before the Kelvin Flats were built

Edited by trans

There was a factory on the public wide foot path previously known as Red Hill across the Ponderosa to the flats on the bottom side towards the Infirmary.

I use to play on the tip every night and of course spent all of the school holidays on there but never did we hear of Red Hill but having said that maybe you are thinking of the Red Hill that leads from Broad Lane to Solly Street near Edward Street flats not that far away from the tip.

I use to play on the tip every night and of course spent all of the school holidays on there but never did we hear of Red Hill but having said that maybe you are thinking of the Red Hill that leads from Broad Lane to Solly Street near Edward Street flats not that far away from the tip.

Hi

When it was first put up the wide path between ( please I have to refer now to a street guide) . Bellfield Street down to the 13 storey flats was constructed and had red shale on it for quite some time before it was tarmacked. The factory was half way up it and was later demolished. We did use it at some point for sledging for those brave enough or at the bottom of the landscaped stepped area of Crookesmoor Rec at which some sledges were smashed if they hit the big stone slabs at the bottom.

was about 50 years since I lived down there.

Edited by trans
missed something out

Hi

When it was first put up the wide path between ( please I have to refer now to a street guide) . Bellfield Street down to the 13 storey flats was constructed and had red shale on it for quite some time before it was tarmacked. The factory was half way up it and was later demolished. We did use it at some point for sledging for those brave enough or at the bottom of the landscaped stepped area of Crookesmoor Rec at which some sledges were smashed if they hit the big stone slabs at the bottom.

was about 50 years since I lived down there.

You've brought back memories for me with the high rise flats. We use to play on those when they were half built, it was our adventure playground until the night watchman use to come and send us off. He couldn't chase us because he had a wooden leg.

You've brought back memories for me with the high rise flats. We use to play on those when they were half built, it was our adventure playground until the night watchman use to come and send us off. He couldn't chase us because he had a wooden leg.

Yes you wonder why until a lad that went to our school went missing for 2 years and we found that his face had been damaged that he had to have plastic surgery as he got it caught in one of the lifts

This thread is three years old :o

But in the interests of history....I do know that the Ponderosa was part of a small network of reservoirs in Sheffield.....there were 5 small linked ones.....including Crooks Valley Park.....and behind working up past what is now the Hallamshire Hospital. All date from the mid 1700's

This is very interesting. They would have predated the reservoirs up at Redmires.

My grandparents lived at the bottom part of mushroom lane, between the hospital and the ponderosa. They were the Pearsons, with William, Nellie, Frank and Keith Their back garden backed onto the ponderosa. Does anyone remember the prefab buildings that were a school, in the ponderosa, my sister went there.

The 'Ponda' is a place I used play everyday as a kid and My Grandmother Lived right next to it on Oxford street, for most of her life.

It was named by her in the 70's and caught on amongst all us kids.

It refers to the ranch in the western tv series "bonanza" which we used to watch at her house.

Named in early 60's I'm afraid

Named in early 60's I'm afraid

No it wasn't, most of the old houses were still on that ground in the early 60s but the tip was there which now also gets called the Ponderosa., but those that grew up there know they're to different areas.