Road Closures - Sheffield Grand Prix Cycle Race.

Yes. Is anyone else feeling that these constant interruptions with traffic are becoming so irksome that all of 'em should cease?

No. I wouldn't have said "constant interruptions" is at all accurate.

---------- Post added 19-07-2018 at 08:36 ----------

If only that were true. The delays are spread far and wide, not just town centre.

I passed through town towards the parkway (via Penistone rd and Shalesmoor) at 1600, no delays, no increased traffic.

And then I passed through town towards Heeley (from the parkway) at about 1930, no delays, no noticeable increase in the level of traffic.

My husband has been waiting at Hallamshire Hospital since 2pm for an ambulance or, any transport, to get home after treatment. He's disabled, there is no other way he can get home. Nurses said the delay is due to the cycle race and he may have to wait a lot longer til the race is over. I can't understand how it is that a cycle race can cause so much traffic chaos when the race is nowhere near Glossop Rd.... or is it just that the car hating council have closed down so many alternate routes that one road closure can cause havoc to the traffic in the entire city.

Im really sorry your Husband struggled to get home, but as the roads werent closed until 4:30 there mustve been more to it than that.

Hope he got home ok.

Have you ever been in a shop in the city centre at 1630 on a Wednesday?

The only people likely to suffer any inconvenience are commuters going home, and it's just 1 day, advertised in advance.

And commuters going home weren't affected that much as buses either diverted along Arundel Gate, or via the bus station transport interchange

Is anyone else feeling that these constant interruptions with traffic are becoming so irksome that all of 'em should cease?

A bunch of angry reactionary middle-aged men probably do feel like that.

The traffic diversions seemed to work better this year. In previous years this event has resulted in long traffic queues and delays (described as “gridlock” online but that’s probably an exaggeration) but this year it didn’t seem so bad.

Who's 'they'?

This event is running after most shops have closed, and brings a lot of people into the city in the evening, thereby increasing commerce.

Go and watch, it's a great, well promoted event.

---------- Post added 18-07-2018 at 09:25 ----------

I know, all those shoppers streaming into town at 5pm will be stymied.

They is the council.

---------- Post added 19-07-2018 at 15:39 ----------

I had a right good laugh at this one :hihi::hihi:

I suppose it's not all bad, if someone finds it funny.

The traffic diversions seemed to work better this year. In previous years this event has resulted in long traffic queues and delays (described as “gridlock” online but that’s probably an exaggeration) but this year it didn’t seem so bad.

Perhaps a different part of Sheffield ought to

[be targeted][enjoy the cycling]delete one

every year.

A bunch of angry reactionary middle-aged men probably do feel like that.

Leave me out of this. I strolled home.:|