Best area to invest

On the contrary, you appear to want to have an argument. Hence the personal insults, hence telling me not to comment.

Look back over the thread, I made a perfectly reasonable contribution, you attacked me over it.

Pack it in with the bickering and personal comments please.

If youve nothing helpful to say to the OP then dont say anything.

Thank you.

I have let flats and commercial property out over many years.I shall desist from calling myself a "Landlord" as I don't think the term sits well in a more modern age.Neither do I like the term "Property ladder" which has crept in which many feel pressure to climb!

In my experience letting one or two properties out for extra income is hard work and does not pay well at the end of the day.You need enough property to engage yourself full time,I would say that takes upwards of a dozen or so properties and means you will be more hands on with paperwork and upkeep etc.

In all my years letting property I only had one really bad tenant,who made a mockery of the law,trashed our property and left recurring bills for £28,000 which she owed and our next tenant had to endure bailiffs visits for the next twelve months trying to recover her debts...........this woman presented references was very smart at interview and butter would not melt in her mouth.

So that story is all part of the game and you can never be sure who you are handing the keys to. Luckily the rise in property prices over the years was the icing on the cake!.......the rental income was not, when taking into consideration the work involved plus all the repairs and tax on income etc. Glad to be out of it really.

Meersbrook and towards Norton Lees.

I have looked into this and that is where I would be going if I wanted houses to rent out in Sheffield.

I have properties let out in S1, S8, S13, S60 (Rotherham, strictly speaking) then out to S70 and S72... but they're all occupied, they're all earning money, they're all doing well. I am not sure it's possible to say there is a better area, certainly not down to the locality of street, where the best, ripest properties for Landlords to pick for investment are to be found... that's a pipe-dream and, even if were true, we'd be too far behind the curve to realise it.

For me, part of it comes down to convenience - convenience for me. The S1 property is a pain to get to and I need to pay for parking when I go there with any tools and suchlike, the S8 property is the furthest away, from me, so takes up more of my own time just getting to it. There's always pros and cons, but I don't think it's area that matters so much - it's type of property, what it's done up like, what your approach is to being a Landlord - all areas will have let properties and there are no many variables. Even in a block of cookie-cutter apartments - with the same costs attributable to the Landlord - there'll be rental differences, so one apartment can be very profitable and one can be just making it, and one might be struggling... they're not all at the same £x rent just because they're effectively the same property.

---------- Post added 09-07-2018 at 12:58 ----------

I have looked into this and that is where I would be going if I wanted houses to rent out in Sheffield.

Can you elaborate why your research has concluded this? Is your conclusion a generic one, or would you say it may not apply to everyone?

Can you elaborate why your research has concluded this? Is your conclusion a generic one, or would you say it may not apply to everyone?

I could elaborate, and probably elaborate further if required.

Firstly I have only ever rented one property out, and that was enough for me.

What I do do is renovate houses, not to the very highest standard but certainly to a good one; and these are often bought by landlords who want a turn key option to the rental market - This is not in Sheffield though, so it is seemingly a very different market or rather markets.

The general s8 area appeals to me because it is one of the few areas where the price difference between a "house needing renovation" and one in good order is still sufficient to make it a profitable venture.

It is also going beyond "up and coming" and starting to be a desirable residential area.

The other areas that supposedly fit that criteria, in my opinion do not do that. Hillsborough, Walkley and Malin Bridge have promised for years but have never quite made it is a "want to live" area (more like OK really) and Crookes has either gone past that barrier or is in a state of flux as student housing is in decline.

What I do do is renovate houses, not to the very highest standard but certainly to a good one; and these are often bought by landlords who want a turn key option to the rental market - This is not in Sheffield though, so it is seemingly a very different market or rather markets.

The general s8 area appeals to me because it is one of the few areas where the price difference between a "house needing renovation" and one in good order is still sufficient to make it a profitable venture.

It is also going beyond "up and coming" and starting to be a desirable residential area.

The other areas that supposedly fit that criteria, in my opinion do not do that. Hillsborough, Walkley and Malin Bridge have promised for years but have never quite made it is a "want to live" area (more like OK really) and Crookes has either gone past that barrier or is in a state of flux as student housing is in decline.

a very succinct view that mirrors my own, s8 and some of s12 in my experience :thumbsup:

This is absolutely correct. Not all of S8 of course (it's a very large postcode stretching from the edge of the city centre out towards Dore) and places like Lowedges/Batemoor aren't ever going to be "desirable") but Meersbrook certainly has become very desirable - close to the city centre, now in catchment of the "south west" school catchment area which is a huge plus and good mix of housing stock with a lot of buzz around the independent cafe/restaurant/shop/bar culture on Chesterfield Road and nearby Abbeydale Road. It does still seem to be a place where a property in poor condition can be snapped up relatively cheaply - if you're lucky - but renovated and sold for a high price (how long this will last I don't know - people seem to have cottoned on). I think it's shaken off its "up and coming" tag and could basically said to have arrived as a desirable place to live (see my previous post about prices going up 25% since 2015 - I can't imagine there's another part of the city where this is the case).

Other supposedly up and coming areas, as you say, like Hillsborough and Walkley haven't really fulfilled their promise over the past ten years and the buzz has moved towards the south edge of the south west of the city (basically, the Abbeydale Road side of Nether Edge and Meersbrook). Crookes and Sharrow Vale seem like a shaky investment proposition to me (as I said before - Sharrow Vale prices have actually fallen since 2015) and I can see Crookes going the same way with the student resi market changing so much towards purpose built accommodation.

BTL where you're hoping for capital gains is not really BTL. It's basically speculating on house price increases.

---------- Post added 17-07-2018 at 12:11 ----------

Interesting article in my Google news feed.

Buy-to-let continues to fade as tax changes throw up a barrier

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/buytolet/article-5950535/Buy-let-continues-fade-tax-changes-throw-barrier.html

Shared from my Google feed

I've purchased two properties to let since the 3% kicker was introduced. The sums still work (no, I'll not do you a graph) and even though I did stamp (sic) my feet like a sulky child when it came in, saying I'd not expand because of it, I actually did... because it's profitable.

I'll continue to put my point out there through experience, you continue to do it via links.

a very succinct view that mirrors my own, s8 and some of s12 in my experience :thumbsup:

I have properties let out in S1, S8, S13, S60 (Rotherham, strictly speaking) then out to S70 and S72... but they're all occupied, they're all earning money, they're all doing well.

S6 is nicely placed for traveling to different parts of the city. Wadsley Bridge and Foxhill seem to have a lot of properties that are suitable for BTL and can be bought for around £100k, much less than the fancier areas, but still solid homes.

How about S35? Good transport links and a variety of properties, plenty of suitable 2/3 bed terraced and semis for BTL. I wonder why it doesn’t get mentioned much?

I've purchased two properties to let since the 3% kicker was introduced. The sums still work (no, I'll not do you a graph) and even though I did stamp (sic) my feet like a sulky child when it came in, saying I'd not expand because of it, I actually did... because it's profitable.

I'll continue to put my point out there through experience, you continue to do it via links.

Yes, you continue to use anecdotes and I'll continue to use data. :roll: