Hui Wei - should I book?

If you like Wong Ting you should try China Red, also owned by Martin Ng. It takes no prisoners. Not even an English menu when we went. http://www.thestar.co.uk/whats-on/food-and-drink/food-review-china-red-3-rockingham-gate-sheffield-s1-4jd-tel-0114-272-1322-1-6150488

This review by martyn Dawes is well out of date can anyone vouch for it now I've often walked passed and wondered if I should try it.

I think you can tell where the best Chinese (or most authentic) ones are by taking them [the students] to the same places a lot.

It is more a case of authentic, but yes. Hui Wei really is an English focussed menu. My Chinese friends love Wong Ting and indeed China Red, Zing Vaa is popular with them as well.

When my best friend brought his Chinese wife we took them to WongTing and she was delighted to finally be having 'proper' Chinese food.

After several excellent meals at Hui Wei in the past few months we decided to have one of our Christmas get togethers here. For a group of friends, about 12 of us, I booked a table a few months ago for a Christmas Banquet.

It was awesome as always, excellent food, excellent service. Really recommend this place!

You can still get ants climbing a tree there, but since the old chef (who was much more traditional/authentic chinese in his cooking left) people wanting properly authentic food have gone elsewhere - you still get a lot of Chinese people in there though - I last went about a month ago on a saturday lunchtime with my best friend who was visiting (we went to uni together when the old chef was in, she's Chinese and we used to go semi-regularly) and whilst we were disappointed the menu choice had mostly changed, the food was still good.

Guest makapaka

Hui wei and Wong ting are my favourite restaurants of this types never had a bad meal in either.

You can still get ants climbing a tree there, but since the old chef (who was much more traditional/authentic chinese in his cooking left) people wanting properly authentic food have gone elsewhere - you still get a lot of Chinese people in there though - I last went about a month ago on a saturday lunchtime with my best friend who was visiting (we went to uni together when the old chef was in, she's Chinese and we used to go semi-regularly) and whilst we were disappointed the menu choice had mostly changed, the food was still good.

It suited us well, I agree the menu has anglicised quite a bit, but the quality is excellent and the food is very fresh unlike other Chinese restaurants. Top service as well, really good.

Hui wei and Wong ting are my favourite restaurants of this types never had a bad meal in either.

Wong Ting really let us down, we were split between Wong Ting (more authentic) and hui Wei, so me and my wife tried both in the space of a couple of weeks. Wong Ting was a real let down. I never had a bad meal there before, but this time it was pretty bad, despite them knowing we were scoping the place for a Christmas booking. The ribs were cooked to nothing, the egg fried rice was very greasy, my wife's noodles were floating in grease as well.

I am fairly sure this is because normally we go there with Chinese friends and this was the first time it was just us two. We got a terribly shoddy looking English menu which definitely had a very different range of dishes from what we normally go for.

I used to really rate Hui Wei but I do think it's going downhill. It's ready for a re-fit or at least a good clean. Decor covered in thick dust and cobwebs hanging off ceiling in the smelly toilets- they haven't seen more than a cursory clean in years. Still the best Chinese food I've had in Sheffield but I might try somewhere new next time. :mad: