Sign in to follow this  

Peter Kay to appear on Coronation Street

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/3407669.stm

Comic Kay poised for Street cameo

Peter Kay's character takes Shelley out on a date

Comedian Peter Kay is to appear in Coronation Street as an unlikely date for pub landlady Shelley Unwin.

Kay - famous for his Phoenix Nights series on Channel 4 - said he agreed to the role because he is friends with actress Sally Lindsay (Shelley).

The comic confesses to being a "huge fan" of the soap, which he puts down to hailing from the North West.

Kay has appeared on the long-running serial once before, as a fitter working in the corner shop in November 1997.

During his episode, to be aired on 30 January, Kay sports a ginger wig to play Eric, a dithering drayman who plucks up the courage to ask Rovers' Return landlady Shelley out for dinner.

Washing up

But, as to be expected with any character played by Kay, things do not go to plan.

Kay, who recently became a father for the first time, said he was originally offered a part relating to a storyline with Les Battersby but he asked if instead he could work alongside his friend Lindsay.

He said: "I have always been a huge fan of Coronation Street, I think it's hard to live in the North West and not be. I've been brought up with it all my life and it still amazes me that everything stops when you hear the Coronation Street theme at 7.30.

"I haven't seen the end product and would rather wait until when it's actually on telly. No doubt I'll hear the theme from the kitchen while I'm washing up and come running in as usual."

I was just about to ask if you'd been reading the Metor - but no, bbc news!!!!

U like Coronation street then rtapper?

Originally posted by hiyabeing

I was just about to ask if you'd been reading the Metor - but no, bbc news!!!!

U like Coronation street then rtapper?

Metor ? I guess you mean the Metro... saw it in there on way 2 work as well.

Haven't seen corrie in a loooooong time but am watching it now - should be preparing for an interview I have tomorrow but I'm finding any excuse I can not to think about it ! Good to see that Kevin character hasn't got that moustache/beard on his face anymore :P

Posted the story as I guess there are some Peter Kay fans out there :thumbsup:

This story was printed in the Bolton Evening News weeks and weeks ago!!! Dunno why it's taken so long to hit the national headlines - I would've though the Corrie bosses would've been telling everyone ASAP!

:lol:

Speaking of Peter Kay, has anyone seen his latest DVD?? Live at the Bolton Albert Halls?? I think it's absolutely HILARIOUS!!! The Weight Watchers bit has me in stitches every time I watch it!!

I wet myself everytime I watch it... 'and again...and again...dip me again'. Hob nobs drunk me brew. The whole sunday afternoon, emergancy chairs, bullseye and taping the charts, absolute classic!

Live at the (Bolton) Albert Hall(s) is absolutely excellent - observational humour at it's best!

It helps if you've seen the Live at Blackpool Tower one as well to get some of the running gags!

Garlic .... Bread??!!

Originally posted by MrHelicopter

Garlic .... Bread??!!

Aye, it's the way forward - but don't try eating it in that fine rain, 'cos that soaks you right through ;)

I can't believe how much I'm looking forward to this now. I think he's going to make his first appearance tomorrow!!! Sad really init. :(

On another (related) note... the guy who plays "Karl Foster" (Martin Platt's colleague) used to be in my class at Sixth Form! That's my latest claim to fame :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Tony Ruscoe

On another (related) note... the guy who plays "Karl Foster" (Martin Platt's colleague) used to be in my class at Sixth Form! That's my latest claim to fame :thumbsup:

Oi Tony! Learn to use the Forum's search facility! (j/k)

What's your 'claim to fame'? :D

Nomme