R.I.P Tommy Lawrence

RIP Tubby Tommy played for a good Liverpool side

What a lovely bloke. RIP Tommy.

Did Tommy play for Wednesday, Jim?

Did Tommy play for Wednesday, Jim?

No, just Liverpool, Tranmere and Scotland.

Recall him as part of a moderately successful Liverpool team in the sixties. Their heyday was when Ray Clemence took over in goal, from 1971 onwards.

Great shot-stopper, Lawrence, though his shortage of height made him susceptible to crosses. I can recall a match at Hillsborough in the late sixties when Tommy dropped a cross which was then prodded home by Alan Warboys. No Wednesday player was near him.

Disallowed, sparking pandemonium and showers of blue cushions raining down from the North Stand.

Recall him as part of a moderately successful Liverpool team in the sixties. Their heyday was when Ray Clemence took over in goal, from 1971 onwards.

Great shot-stopper, Lawrence, though his shortage of height made him susceptible to crosses. I can recall a match at Hillsborough in the late sixties when Tommy dropped a cross which was then prodded home by Alan Warboys. No Wednesday player was near him.

Disallowed, sparking pandemonium and showers of blue cushions raining down from the North Stand.

I seem to recall that 60s Liverpool team being more than moderately successful. Wasn't he part of the team that Shankley put together which were great right down the middle, Lawrence, Ron Yeats and Ian St John.

That was the foundation for what the Liverpool team have achieved since.

R.I.P

I seem to recall that 60s Liverpool team being more than moderately successful. Wasn't he part of the team that Shankley put together which were great right down the middle, Lawrence, Ron Yeats and Ian St John.

R.I.P

Tommy Smith too,how many games would he complete these days.

R.I.P

Roger Hunt was in the same team as were fellow England players Ian Callaghan and Peter Thompson

---------- Post added 12-01-2018 at 01:09 ----------

Tommy Smith too,how many games would he complete these days.

Tommy would perhaps complete most of them, because if any of todays players had any sense they'd keep away from him and pass the ball if they saw him coming. They didn't call him 'Granite face' for nowt.

---------- Post added 12-01-2018 at 01:15 ----------

No, just Liverpool, Tranmere and Scotland.

Correct Jim, tho' the Owls did once sign a Tommy from Liverpool, Tommy Tynan.

Edited by stpetre
add

R.I.P Tommy Lawrence

Tommy was certainly a good goilie although he carried plenty of meat…nicknamed the flying pig.

I remember seeing him play against Arsenal on the first ever edition of Match of the Day. They may a yew-chewb cutting of this match which I believe Liverpool won.

Some pics involving Tommy

Here, here and here

The badges on the shirts remind me of Higson’s beer. LOL.

For the over 60s Tommy’s gaffer: this and this

The autographs were gotten (on different occasions) at the Hallam Town Hotel where Liverpool (and other teams) were booked in prior to playing a match in Sheffield.

Edited by zakes

R.I.P

Me too. More than moderately successful. Remember that team winning the FA Cup 1965 against Leeds, Roger Hunt, Ian St John, Callaghan, Lawler, Yeats, Lawrence, Milne (?), that’s off the top of my head.

Seemed to be the foundation of a complete dynasty which, although much less successful , has carried on to today. Can’t remember a time since when L’pool haven’t been a top end club.

Although United were relegated in 1968, we won 2-1 at Anfield against that team and those great players

RIP