Rodney Bewes dead at 79

Bewes was in one of my favourite films from the 1960s, Billy Liar.

I knew of the grudge held by Bolam against Bewes. Apparently Bolam didn't want the TV company to re-run the Likely Lads because that would've meant Bewes getting royalties (Bewes was skint at the time).

To be fair, Bolam seems like a bit of an arse. Didn't turn up for This is Your Life either.

To be fair, Bolam seems like a bit of an arse. Didn't turn up for This is Your Life either.

Sounds like Bolam turned into the character of one of his best roles as Jack Ford from that great series 'When the Boat Comes In'. Loved that show. Sorry to hear about the death of Rodney Bewes RIP. What a shame that they never made up for that petty mistake. The Likely Lads seems cringeworthy these days, watched a few episodes on You Tube not long back, for nostalgic reasons only. They were funny at the time though.

RIP. I shall watch the "avoiding the football score" episode tonight as a tribute.

I preferred Rodney Bewes in the Likely lads and Peter Bowles in only when I laugh they out shone James Bolam, Rodney Bewes played a great part alongside James Mason in Spring and Port Wine.

He was apparently very private individual. Whilst the feud with Bewes may have been over the top, what sort of idiot decided it would be a good idea to do a This is Your Life on someone who would obviously hate the idea? Didn't any of the guests warn them?

The reason for the feud was that Rodney Bewes inadvertently let slip to a journalist that Bolam's wife, Susan Jameson, was pregnant. Bolam, who guarded his privacy, was furious and refused any apology from Bewes. The two never met or spoke again.