Switching iPad on and off.

I have an iPad which has two buttons on the side and one on the top. The side ones are for turning the volume up or down and the one on top is for switching the iPad on or off . Do I really need to do this, or can I just leave the iPad on all the time..? It doesn’t seem to need charging up when I leave it on. What do you do ?

My answer to that is simple. Leave it 'switched on' for as long as you like, but do a full switch off every couple of months - this seems to me to avoid most of the unexplained problems you get with odd apps crashing - and it is also sometimes useful to do if an app does crash.

When I do totally switch off, I leave it for 5-10 minutes before restarting, but that's my personal choice - other people I know with iPads probably only wait 20-30 seconds.

I never turn mine off unless it's having a "moment"

Most devices do seem to run better after a reboot but if it's not acting up, leave it alone ;)

As others have said, leave it on - they use very little battery on ‘standby’

What I would say is that if you have an issue, i find the best thing to do is to press and hold the home button (round button at bottom of screen) and the top button you refer to. Hold both until the screen comes up with the Apple logo. The iPad then restarts itself. This is known as a soft reset and clears most issues.

As others have said, leave it on - they use very little battery on ‘standby’

What I would say is that if you have an issue, i find the best thing to do is to press and hold the home button (round button at bottom of screen) and the top button you refer to. Hold both until the screen comes up with the Apple logo. The iPad then restarts itself. This is known as a soft reset and clears most issues.

Well thank you for this very helpful information. My IPad did blank out last week and would not come on again, so I had to take it to a comp. repair man. If it happens again I will try this method out which you have advised me to do. Than you.

Generally at work, at the end of the day they are a bit like mobile phones. When not in use just ensure that no Apps are left running in the background as that is what runs the battery down. ;)

Generally at work, at the end of the day they are a bit like mobile phones. When not in use just ensure that no Apps are left running in the background as that is what runs the battery down. ;)

Nah, on iOS any app in the background is 'paused' - unless it requires some active updating...

look into how iOS works a bit more! ;)

Nah, on iOS any app in the background is 'paused' - unless it requires some active updating...

look into how iOS works a bit more! ;)

I think I was forgetting that it used to be the case with the early iPads and things have moved on as here:

https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/