Wadsley village

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield History & Expats

Reply To Topic

12-01-2018, 22:58   #21
lindylou53

Total Posts: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by midowl View Post
Must`ve missed early threads....I, too, used to pop into the Luke Lane sweet shop..I remember the names, Nellie, Feebie and Mandy..they went to live near bottom of Dykes Hall Road.
I also recall the Maccabbi pitch - I was there ( 1965?) when Mike and Bernie winters did the opening ceremony...we used to play up there on Sundays - the ball forever being hooted down the rocks!!
Names I recall included the Samworths, Bob Grimes, Malcolm Dixon, Triggs , Schofield , Dyson and others - there even used to be a changing room further up the Common...possibly 6 pitches in all.....
Can anyone out there remember the name of the passageway opposite Betney`s ??....also Allison`s bakery down the gennel..!!

Hi - I am one of the Trigg family - sister (with Jennifer) of Andy and Norman. Andy lives at Worrall now and Norman in Midlands - both were keen football players. We all went to Wisewood Primary - names I remember are Mr Greatorex, Miss Bates (headmistress), Mrs Scrimshaw (scary dinner-lady) and Miss Starling who I had a bit of a crush on! Remember Gissing family from Wadsley Park Crescent, Birchenough Farm and Audoires. Pity we all lost touch with each other after 11+ split us all up. My best friend was Janice Kangley who lived on Luke Lane. Remember bakery shop on Luke Lane and cobblers at bottom of gennel near there. Also used to play with someone who lived in the big Sea Cadet building but can't remember her name.
12-01-2018, 23:27   #22
Heather260

Total Posts: 9
Hi there ..was your brother Andrew Trigg ? Went to Wisewood secondary ? If so , we were in the same class at one point . My grannie lived on Wadsley park Crescent and I knew the Audoires very well. Angela was a friend of mine for a few years . I remember the Gissings but didn't know them well . Janice Kangleys name rings a bell . I moved away from the area but I keep in touch with a couple of friends from Wisewood secondary and one of them has occasional contact with Angela Audoire . Which secondary/ grammar school did you go to ??
13-01-2018, 08:18   #23
lindylou53

Total Posts: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather260 View Post
Hi there ..was your brother Andrew Trigg ? Went to Wisewood secondary ? If so , we were in the same class at one point . My grannie lived on Wadsley park Crescent and I knew the Audoires very well. Angela was a friend of mine for a few years . I remember the Gissings but didn't know them well . Janice Kangleys name rings a bell . I moved away from the area but I keep in touch with a couple of friends from Wisewood secondary and one of them has occasional contact with Angela Audoire . Which secondary/ grammar school did you go to ??

Yes my brother's Andy! He had a reputation for being a little monkey! (Still has actually!) He went to Wisewood Secondary. I went to High Storrs. What was your surname?
13-08-2018, 11:28   #24
maureend

Total Posts: 3
I was recently browsing Sheffield Forum and was very interested in the mention of a cobbler who had a small workshop in the village. His name was Ibbotson (not Harrison) and he was my uncle on my mother's side.

I myself attended Wisewood Secondary School and I would be very interested to have a chat with anyone who may have any connection with the Ibbotson family. They had a cottage on Stour Lane which was demolished years ago.

My maiden name was Hutton (Maureen).

---------- Post added 13-08-2018 at 22:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindylou53 View Post
Yes my brother's Andy! He had a reputation for being a little monkey! (Still has actually!) He went to Wisewood Secondary. I went to High Storrs. What was your surname?
When did your brother attend Wisewood Secondary - I was there i n the 50's

---------- Post added 15-08-2018 at 20:10 ----------

I can't trace my original reply to your post as I am new to this, but here goes.

My mother's family lived on Stour Lane in the old Wadsley village. The family name was Ibbotson and my uncle Vic had the cobblers workshop. I often used to spend time there in the pretence that I was helping, but it was fascinating to watch and listen to the tall tales he used to tell with visiting customers, it was more like a Social club - he was such a character. Elsie Ibbotson was my mother. I am the youngest of two sisters (Maureen Hutton) my father was Alexander, he worked for Sheffield Transport Department tram driving during the second World War and thereafter.

If there is anyone out there with a connection I would love to hear from you should this attempt be successful.
19-08-2018, 18:24   #25
maureend

Total Posts: 3
I noticed the name of Terry Dooley whilst browsing through the Wadsley Village
notices recently and wonder if it is the same guy who attended Wisewood Seco dary Modern at the same time I did. It was probably early fifties. As I remember his name when a first knew him was Flanagan, but I recall we were told that his name was to change to Dooley. I would like anyone who remembers this time to get in touch. I was Maureen Hutton and lived on Hallowmoor Road on the Wisewood estate.

My mothers family lived on Stour Lane Wadsley Village, their name was Ibbotson. My uncle Vic. was the village cobbler - quite a character. I remember supposedly helping out at his workshop on occasions, I watching and listening to his anecdotes with the various people who visited for a chat as much as anything.

I have sent messages previously, but so far no response. Hope I will have more luck this time.

Md

Last edited by maureend; 19-08-2018 at 18:37. Reason: mistake
20-08-2018, 18:57   #26
bullerboY

Total Posts: 2,793
Terry Dooley was a customer of mine and had the Hallamshire Hotel on West st in the 70s at one time he and his wife Ann lived on Hammerton Rd last i heard of Terry he was living around Dorothy Rd area my late friend Barry ibbotsons dad i think was Vic he also had a sister whose name i forget but when the cottage was pulled down they moved on to Dunella Rd.Barry became very wealthy and lived at Sugworth hall but both him and his wife Pauline has passed away.
_______
There is always someone who can make things a little cheaper and a lot worse.
Reply To Topic