Can windows update damage graphics card

have a pc with a radeon hd 7770 pcie graphics card working perfect upto last night did a windows update left it running overnight came to pc this morning blank screen took card out used onboard works perfect even in bios with card installed its blank screen

Things just break. I wish I'd got a quid for every time I've heard "It was ok yesterday"

What I would do is double check the BIOS to make sure your 7770 is set to primary. Also look in device manager to see if it's there, and the drivers are working.

It could be settings/drivers/power. Or it might have just packed in.

Since you can use the onboard, I would suggest using that to boot up, then use Driver Sweeper, ( https://www.guru3d.com/content-page/guru3d-driver-sweeper.html ) to remove all AMD Radeon Drivers, and also download then install the latest and see if that helps...

Otherwise, the card may be faulty... but it may also be recoverable, depending on the issue..

there is also a small chance it could be your power supply, if it's not supplying enough voltage to the card, or the PCIe power cable could be damaged/faulty etc...

Since you can use the onboard, I would suggest using that to boot up, then use Driver Sweeper, ( to remove all AMD Radeon Drivers, and also download then install the latest and see if that helps...

Otherwise, the card may be faulty... but it may also be recoverable, depending on the issue..

there is also a small chance it could be your power supply, if it's not supplying enough voltage to the card, or the PCIe power cable could be damaged/faulty etc...

ok will try that thanks

Since you can use the onboard, I would suggest using that to boot up, then use Driver Sweeper, ( https://www.guru3d.com/content-page/guru3d-driver-sweeper.html ) to remove all AMD Radeon Drivers, and also download then install the latest and see if that helps...

That is going to be a collosal waste of time, being as you can't even get to BIOS with the card installed.

What happens if you stick the card in, but connect to the onboard graphics for the monitor output?

---------- Post added 23-09-2018 at 22:15 ----------

If you can get to BIOS with the card installed, but monitor connected to the onboard, have a gander around to see if the default card options have somehow been toggled. May also be worth clearing the CMOS and trying again.

That is going to be a collosal waste of time, being as you can't even get to BIOS with the card installed.

What happens if you stick the card in, but connect to the onboard graphics for the monitor output?

---------- Post added 23-09-2018 at 22:15 ----------

If you can get to BIOS with the card installed, but monitor connected to the onboard, have a gander around to see if the default card options have somehow been toggled. May also be worth clearing the CMOS and trying again.

May be, but it's eliminating things..

I have known it before NOT work in BIOS, but work fine in windows (had to be plugged into onboard to use BIOS) - this is an easy fix/change, but have to check if the card is working at all first... hence the suggestion!

Also it's regarded as Legacy by AMD now, so make sure you download Legacy drivers if theyre available.

Also it's regarded as Legacy by AMD now, so make sure you download Legacy drivers if theyre available.

Not QUITE true, the 7x00 series is still supported under the latest Adrenaline driver software v18.9.2 "AMD Radeonâ„¢ HD 7700 - HD 7900 Series Graphics"

Not QUITE true, the 7x00 series is still supported under the latest Adrenaline driver software v18.9.2 "AMD Radeonâ„¢ HD 7700 - HD 7900 Series Graphics"

Tried all suggested no luck so card has gone in bin cheers for help

Tried all suggested no luck so card has gone in bin cheers for help

nooo, get it out - it may be recoverable...

If you don't want it i'll have it, even if faulty it's useful to me...

So I had this exact problem last week.

Only solved by replacing the motherboard. Despite flashing the BIOS and everything else under the sun.

Just one of those things I suppose

nooo, get it out - it may be recoverable...

If you don't want it i'll have it, even if faulty it's useful to me...

Sorry but bin man had been before I saw this reply