Memories of The Grosvenor

This landmark city-centre hotel closes this weekend after 43 years.

I well remember nights in the Wap, then upstairs to the bar on (I think second floor) and going through the entire list of whiskies.

Always a bit of a knocking shop, too!

I never went in but folk told me it was dead ropey.

in its time it was one of the best hotels in the north when TRUST hOUSE FORTE had it, oh and i was a sous chef there:):P from 1982 to 1984.

All the snooker players stayed there for the crucible world championships and all the world class stars from the Fiesta nightclub.

it was a good place to work and yes a bit of a knocking shop at times, especially the staff :P but that was part of the fun.

it was sad to see a good hotel decline to the extent it now houses the dregs and asylumn seekers after the ownership changed.

still sad to see a sheffield landmark go.

Many years ago myself and several slightly ominous looking biker types would sit in the lounge drinking coffee and teasing the poor lasses who served us. We used to get some very odd looks from people at the main reception but as we were quiet and well behaved the management never seemed to have a problem with us being there

Have the Health and Safety brigade closed it down ?? The proposed NRQ still seems years away.

My last kickboxing event was at the Grosvenor hotel.

My next one (november the 8th) was supposed to be at the grosvenor then all of a sudden I found out it was being closed down!

That really caused me a lot of stress as i had tickets and posters already printed.

My event has now been moved to :

http://www.skatecentral.co.uk

the old steelblades icerink on queens road.

i worked there as a maintenence engineer for just over a year back in 1997 under a bloke called bill fox. loved it. some decent people there at that time. remember in summer going all the way up to the roof and sunbathing for hours next to the sign when i should have been working. hahaha

i worked there as a maintenence engineer for just over a year back in 1997 under a bloke called bill fox. loved it. some decent people there at that time. remember in summer going all the way up to the roof and sunbathing for hours next to the sign when i should have been working. hahaha

Coincidence, I was on maintenance from jan83 to oct84. Worked with chief engineer Keith Laycock and Arthur Matthias. My grandad Tom Dunn was chief engineer before Keith and was brought back to oversee 4th floor renovations. I went out with receptionist aswell, (no names mentioned), always handy having master key to bedrooms.

I worked on maintenance from 85-90 (ish), Knew Keith Laycock, Arthur Matthias and Bill Fox who repalced Keith, and Kevan, great times,

John & Roy & Shaun, on loading bay, Gary, head Chef, Robert sous chef, Joyce on Toast, Christine on room service,Chris the KP, Bert W, Dennis & Tony (Porters), Ann-Marie, Cheryl, Rhona, Hilary,Andy,(HK), Beverley (rec') just a few of the names I recall.

Regards, acman.

Great memories. Any idea what happened to Keith when he left.

I think he went painting and decorating, seem to recall his dad had that sort of business and Keith took thay on. Mind you, it's a few years ago now.

Edited by acman
spelling

This landmark city-centre hotel closes this weekend after 43 years.

I well remember nights in the Wap, then upstairs to the bar on (I think second floor) and going through the entire list of whiskies.

Always a bit of a knocking shop, too!

43 years makes it 1972, I am sure I went in there before that.