Pet lion in Sheffield, 60s/70s?

i was talking to a bloke at work this morning and he said in the 60's and 70's he had worked at sheffield abbatoir,he said a fella that owned a haulage company (he thinks his surname was white) used to come in with a lion in the back of his lorry and the slaughtermen used to throw it sheeps heads,i thought he was having me on but he swears its true,anyone else heard this story?

seen as tho its like 30 years before i was even the size of a pea, no.

I heard someone in Grenoside (They lived in Topside) had a pet lion, anyone else heard about this.....

Not in the Sheffield area, but there was a lion at Wigley's commercial vehicle breakers in Barnsley.

I thought people were having me on until I went to the yard one day and saw it.

He was used as a guard dog...errm..cat, and as I remember, they never had too many problems with being broken into or anything stolen.

I heard someone in Grenoside (They lived in Topside) had a pet lion, anyone else heard about this.....

Yes it's true,it was Tony Smith who kept a lion cub at Grenoside.

yes thats correct tony smith did have a lion as it grew to about 21/2 year old it went to chipperfield circus i used to play with it as a child

Not in the Sheffield area, but there was a lion at Wigley's commercial vehicle breakers in Barnsley.

I thought people were having me on until I went to the yard one day and saw it.

He was used as a guard dog...errm..cat, and as I remember, they never had too many problems with being broken into or anything stolen.

This is true, the owner old man shippey as he is known in barnsley had the lion from a cub, its claws and teeth were filed down but he was still scared to death of it so he told me. He used to keep it in a big run in the yard and it was there more for curiosity than security. the lion grew to a big old size but i dont know what-ever happened to it..many of vsitors to his yard was greeted to the sight of the lion eyeing them up for lunch lol.:D

We had a coalman in Grenoside in 60s /early 70s who drove a big blue American Mustang, they called him Lol and at one time I think it was his daughter who had a pet lion cub. I remember reading about it in the Sheffield Star.

This is a true story. A relative of my mothers had a pet lion i think his surname was hull?(And that's not the lion's surname). And may have lived on white lane, ridgeway in a large house with outbuildings. My mother is away at the moment but as soon as she gets back i will ask some questions.

I think someone has been pulling your leg, that is about as likely as an elephant working in a steel works.......oh hang on a minute.....

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-2521.html

"This is true".

My late husbands father, used to tell us about "Tomy Wards" Elephant, I

believe he was working in the 1920s or there about,s.

Tomy Wards was just under the Wicker, side of Spital Hill.:):):):)

"This is true".

My late husbands father, used to tell us about "Tomy Wards" Elephant, I

believe the Elephant was working in the 1920s or there about,s.

Tomy Wards was just under the Wicker, side of Spital Hill.:):):):)

Any more strange stories.