Whatever happened to Radio Hallam...

Having returned to Sheffield after 20 years I tuned into what used to be known as Radio Hallam, and had to put uop with this atrocious noise and rabble talking all over the records and shoting down the microphone. It sounded SOOOO amaterish I switiched off...FOR GOOD. TOTAL CRAP!!!!

What happened to all the old Radio Hallam jocks, Ray Stuart, Keith Skues, Kelly Temple, Colin Slade, Johnny Moran, Beverly Chubb, Bill Crozier, Roger Moffat, etc. Dont tell me they all abandoned Sheffield........

Anyone know what happened to the once "Its nice to have a radio station as a friend" station known formerly as Radio Hallam, and not 'Hallam FM'.........the latter is beyond help!!!!!

It's turned into a dire radio station.

I used to like it back in 87-88 when it was part of the "Yorkshire Radio Network" with Viking and Pennine and had DJs like Tim Finlay and James Watt.

ray stuart and roger moffat died quite a while ago colin slade i actually met this bloke once what a ****** beverly chubb where are you dear

RIP Moffat and Stuart, did not know. Heard they had a bit of whisky drinking problem (???) from someone last night in the pub. They apparently got sacked by the new management, and drunk themselves to death, well thats what I heard. Sad...

Got some old cassettes of them both on Radio Hallam in the car from about 25 years ago, much better to listen to than the crap they call Hallam now. Modernisation? You can stick that concept Hallam FM!

Doesnt a lot change in 20 years!!! Everything is different beyond belief........

I went in the YORK in Broomhill last night.....wow, a Scream pub now....actually not too bad but lost all its atmosphere, and also lost Stones bitter as well, but that is no great loss.

8) Nah Den Ace.......

I used to listen to an irreverant evening show on Radio Hallam, back in the late 70s/early 80s. I could be wrong but I think the presenter was Martin Kelner. A lot of us used to discuss last night's show in the playground.

Remember, this was a time when we only had 3 channels on the telly; and the only thing slightly anarchic on telly was The Kenny Everitt Show and Not The Nine O' Clock News.

Regards,

Spacehopper.

Martin Kelner's just written a book, and he presents a football phone-in on Radio Leeds.

yes The Martin keller late show, weekdays 10 while midnight it was. he used to read out letters from schoolkids and was a sort of hero, but had a dodgy hair style, but then it was 1980.

Ah, when local radio was actually worth listening to for entertainment value......

We used to listen in 1980/81 and everyone would be talking about it at school about whose letter got ready out, etc and who had met mr kellner in Sainsbury's that weekend, etc.

Groovy...

I think Keith Skues Cardboard Shoes, who was actually one of the very first Radio 1 DJs (apart from Tony Blackburn), is now doing an Alan Partridge as a presenter on BBC Radio Norfolk.

Roger Moffatt did a final few shows on Saturday mornings on BBC Radio Sheffield, mostly recounting the times he had been sacked by the BBC. He was a repected broadcaster with Radio 4 at the peak of his career - and I think was also a co-presenter with Pinky & Perky! I think he sadly ended is days in a bedsit in Broomhill.

Jim Greensmith, former News Editor at Radio Hallam, sadly died only last week.

Other former Hallam DJs/presenters are now with Radio Sheffield (Dean Pepall & Gery Kersey, for example)

My God, yes I remember now. In 1981 I was in Sheffield and I met Roger in the YORK in Broomhill, he was living in a bedsit there and apparently drinking a crate of whiskey a day. He had a walking stick with a bell on it and all the students loved him.

Martin Kelner went to Radio 2 and had show in the early hours some years ago, Mike rousse (Roussey)don't know where he went or Kelly Temple.

Temple used to present the oldies show on Thursday night playing music from the 60s and the music just sounded ancient and that was in the mid 70s.

I have to aggree that Hallam has lost its appeal due to the modernisation thing that banned records being played that were more than a couple of years old and lost the older generation of listeners including me who went to Radio 2.

Wow yes. I even like radio 2 as its more like Radio Hallam USED to be. Its not so much the music is total crap (which it is), HALLAM used to be top 40 based station in the 70's and early 80's before it went middle of the road oldies. Its the DJ's who are so bad I cannot believe it!! They are so poor, just shout down the microphone at you and have no idea about style or subtlety, and always plugging the clubs they have the misfortune to be employed by. Its one huge advert all the time and a total joke!