Parking charge if you don't pay within 10 minutes of arrival

Reading that a car parking company has charged a woman £60 because she didn't get her ticket within 10 minutes of arrival at the car park. Motorists in Kirklees and Calderdale, West Yorkshire, are being warned about the new tactic to snare people who take their time to buy a parking ticket. These companies seem to be able to make the rules up and screw the motorists for whatever they can.

How can this be fair, people some times spend ages trying to get parked these days due to the volume of traffic. What happens if you go in and can't get a place and leave, are they going to charge you because the anpr cameras have picked you up entering and leaving without paying for a ticket?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/parking-firm-fines-people-being-12726480

Ten minutes is long enough usually, but yes this does seem a bit sneaky.

IF she puts together a proper appeal it may work, but generally it has to be accepted that you could have to defend it in court. OF course these are anot fines despite what the paper says - it's just a contract and if she didnt have chance to read the signs before entering then it's not going to be enforceable.

It's a scam. " an illegal plan for making money, especially one that involves tricking people: " Cambridge Dictionary.

Angel1..

I find this interesting. Last week I parked in town in ncp car park.( cheap one at back of Debenhams ) I took my ticket and drove up every level following 2 cars. At the top the first car parked fairly swiftly. The second one took a while, backwards and forwards to get into the space. They are fairly tight. I finally parked and checked my time and it had taken 12 minutes. This was a bit frustrating as I knew that this would now take me into a second hour. If it wasn’t for the fact that this car park is only 60p an hour I think I’d have been cross.

I wonder if after you pay to leave the car park on the ground floor they allow you 12 minutes to get to the top level and leave. I think it took me 5 in total as I took the lift!!

Edited by fabgirl
Spelling error

Is this a council car park or a private one?

It was a ncp one.

These companies seem to be able to make the rules up

They sure do. Then they write them down on metal signs and put them up in the car parks. Anyone who doesn't agree can always go elsewhere.

They sure do. Then they write them down on metal signs and put them up in the car parks. Anyone who doesn't agree can always go elsewhere.

Or you can be more reasonable and strike out the rules that are manifestly wrong or unfair.... If it says an amount to park for an hour then thats what you pay - waiting for a free space isn't parking after all...

So she sat in the car for a bit before going to buy a ticket?

No sympathy, then.

So she sat in the car for a bit before going to buy a ticket?

No sympathy, then.

Perhaps she had trouble finding a space ???

Or you can be more reasonable and strike out the rules that are manifestly wrong or unfair.... If it says an amount to park for an hour then thats what you pay - waiting for a free space isn't parking after all...

The woman in the article wasn't waiting for a free space though. She'd arrived early and parked up and not paid.