Builder or archtect needed?

We've seen a house that we're considering putting an offer in for, but don't like the current configuration. It's got the bedrooms downstairs and living space upstairs so very awkward access to the garden. We're thinking we could change it around which would involve knocking down bedroom walls and relocating the kitchen from top front to lower back. Before we commit we need to know a) is there anything that would stop us doing it, and b) what would be the rough cost. So the plan is to re-visit taking someone who could give us that info, but not sure if that person should be a builder, or an architect, or do we need both? Obviously the cost is going to affect our offer price so needs to be more than finger in the air - say within 20% (cost of new kitchen aside).

I would imagine that if the building is of typical construction etc then a builder would be able to tell you whether you'd be able to knock walls down, if you'd need supporting beams put in etc. They'd also be able to give you a ball park figure for the work.

Depending on the scale of the remodel required it may be worth getting an architect to draw up the plans for building regs (or planning if needed) after you've purchased the property and decided to remodel, but I think a builder would do for this early stage.

Thanks Robin - that was my thinking too

I agree with Robin.

If you know roughly what you want, a builder will do.

I would get some plans drawn up by a technician (any builder will know someone) as i found this helps to get more accurate quotes.

Definitely builder.. but I would suggest that upside down houses are usually amazing to live in and a few years later you may well regret making the change.