Where was the Indian Village?

Where was the Indian Village and how did it get its name? I was told many years ago where it was and how it got its name - interested in any opinions that might damn or confirm what I was told.

Darnall. The answer’s on another thread.

It was just off Shepcote Lane to the south? Which other thread was this on as I have many many ancestors who lived there on Peacock Row (aka New Row) in the late 1800s.

Can’t remember. Trawled through them all, and found it by accident. Didn’t think any more about it because at that time nobody was inquiring. Sorry. I do recall there was also the name of at least one street mentioned, possibly two.

I remember my uncle saying to my aunt that Dolphin Street Attercliffe was called the Indian village and her reply was that he married one of the squaws.

I remember my uncle saying to my aunt that Dolphin Street Attercliffe was called the Indian village and her reply was that he married one of the squaws.

That’s right! Dolphin Street was the one I couldn’t remember!

Thanks Red Wizard et al! It seems pretty certain Dolphin Street was the Indian Village. It is not where I was told/ thought it was! The story I was told was it was between Tinsley and Attercliffe. If you go from Weedon Street past Carbrook tram station(?) and over the canal it was in that area. It consisted of a single road built on a steep hill with a row of terraced houses on each side. The story goes it was called the Indian Village because at certain points it looked like a Red Indian chief's Headdress. That's the story!

I somehow came accross this site, so I thought i'd shove it back in the hot seat to see if there is any more comment.

Ranskill Rd and Peacock Row was the Indian Village 1 shop 1 co-op 1 newsagent and of course a workingman's club.It was surrounded by 2 muck hill made up of waste from the pit and 1 we called the red hill. could that be the reason for its name Only 2 road in 1 took you to Tinsley the other to Greenland Rd,or you could walk as the local said over locks

Fond memories of days gone bye

Rannie Lad

Have been told by my elderly brother-in-law how indian village got its name. If you walk to the canel and stood on the bridge over it and looked towards ranskill rd which had a row of houses on each side the bottom 2 gabelends was painted a light colour so from afar they looked like tents thus indian village

Ranskill Rd and Peacock Row was the Indian Village 1 shop 1 co-op 1 newsagent and of course a workingman's club.It was surrounded by 2 muck hill made up of waste from the pit and 1 we called the red hill. could that be the reason for its name Only 2 road in 1 took you to Tinsley the other to Greenland Rd,or you could walk as the local said over locks

Fond memories of days gone bye

Rannie Lad

Yes i remember sliding down those "hills" - one still had a metal gantry imbedded in it