Fewer people standing for election

The People still said no.

It was a resounding no. It wasn’t even close.

There was no other version of AV really available because they didn’t have the option of increasing the number of MPs. If anything the size of the Commons wants to be reduced.

What if a council employee is elected to a local government seat but then refuses to give up their employment? Or drags their feet, insisting they will leave but not doing so? Can they attend council meetings in an elected representative capacity, or just as an observer in the public gallery?

Can the council dismiss the employee?

Does a by-election have to take place to replace the elected council employee?

This seems to open up a whole can of worms!

I guess the elected person will be breaking election law, and the contest would be awarded to the second placed candidate.

I believe these things would be discussed with the returning officer before the election; as some are required to give a long termination of contract notice, such as a teacher.

But there are fewer state school teachers these days.

---------- Post added 04-02-2018 at 15:33 ----------

There was no other version of AV really available because they didn’t have the option of increasing the number of MPs. If anything the size of the Commons wants to be reduced.

The Liberal Democrats supported reform of Westminster and the House of Lords, but the Conservatives blocked it.

I guess the elected person will be breaking election law, and the contest would be awarded to the second placed candidate.

I believe these things would be discussed with the returning officer before the election; as some are required to give a long termination of contract notice, such as a teacher.

But there are fewer state school teachers these days.

---------- Post added 04-02-2018 at 15:33 ----------

The Liberal Democrats supported reform of Westminster and the House of Lords, but the Conservatives blocked it.

Not being completely honest here are we? Remember Labour, had the same views as the Tories when it came to electoral reform.

:suspect:

Thatcher brought in a law in the 80s to stop councillors from employing other councillors from other councils especially in what she deemed political roles. It doesn't affect that many people.

People who work for their local council can't stand to be a councillor as it would be open to corruption. Councillors are employers and they could vote themselves nice pay rises and give themselves 52 weeks a year paid leave. It would be open to all kinds of scandal.

Prisoners don't have the right to vote but people with criminal records aren't usually barred from voting.

There are over 46 million people on the UK electoral register. As a pool it's not that small.

Thereagain, people from the private sector are not behind the door when it comes to giving private contracts to their mates, are they....

Does it make any difference if your binman is a UKIPer? We are just ordinary folk, like you ;)

It could do. I worked for another local authority. I got a temporary promotion, over a time server who expected to walk into the job. When the post was advertised permanently, the other person, an active member of the political party in power, was appointed.

Fortunately, I'd applied for another job at the same grade, and got it. Some time later the department head who hadn't appointed me, left to work elsewhere. She apologised to me, said she'd wanted me to continue in the role, but councillors intervened and she was overruled.

I'd no reason to mistrust what she said, I'd got an even better job by then, but she said it had bothered her. If they interfered at my relatively low level, imagine what could happen when really senior appointments are made.

Fortunately, I'd applied for another job at the same grade, and got it. Some time later the department head who hadn't appointed me, left to work elsewhere. She apologised to me, said she'd wanted me to continue in the role, but councillors intervened and she was overruled.

Surely councillors dont even know who works within each department, unless they are very high profile.

You surprise me ... I would've thought that having a criminal record would be a bit of a bonus for a potential councillor or MP, what with all the lying, backhanders and assorted sociopathic tendencies that go on ... they'd be half way there!

Or is it not allowed because if you have a criminal record for starters, it's seen as unfair by potential MP's/councillors who haven't managed to get one before standing for election? Personally, I wouldn't trust any of 'em with a barge pole anyway. :(

But they do not s get a criminal record for all the back handers ,some of em even declare it usually with a big grin on their face as they plan the next little scam ;)

Surely councillors dont even know who works within each department, unless they are very high profile.

That may be the case in large city councils like Sheffield. But in smaller ones, councillors do interfere in the day to day running of departments. and of course they know local party members.

:suspect:

Thereagain, people from the private sector are not behind the door when it comes to giving private contracts to their mates, are they....

People and firms work and spend their own money with people and firms they know and trust, or "mates" if you like. This isn't anything like corruption.

I agree with you El Cid. It's a ridiculous rule that discounts some good people with relevant experience that could be put to use.

I also think that all public sector employees should have to declare political party membership so that the we can see how far political tentacles reach into decisions affecting ordinary life.

Disqualifications

You are employed by the local authority or hold a paid office under the authority (including joint boards or committees).

I have received an email form a barrister who would take my case forward for £1,000, a lot of money to me.

How would I crowd source at least half of the ammount, Just Giving? I understand some strange causes have been succesfull in raising money.

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/141784/Part-1-Can-you-stand-for-election-LGEW.pdf