Sheffield Shoebox Appeal 2017 - Can you help?

This year, Big Yellow are unable to provide free storage containers for the Sheffield Shoebox Appeal. (they are taking collection of the boxes)

For those who don't know what this is, shoe boxes are filled with gifts to help the less fortunate. Things such as soap, gloves, socks, toothbush, toothpaste etc. (nothing sharp for safety, as some of these people are very vulnerable)

The appeal is trying to raise £1000 to pay for storage. Anything over the £1000 will be used to pad out the boxes.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/sheffieldshoeboxappeal

If you would like more information then please use the facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/sheffieldhomelessshoeboxappeal/

This includes an FAQ, Drop off points etc.

Thank you.

Edited by spiceoflife

This is a really worthy cause and I'm happy to donate just a little, to enable Kelly to store and sort the boxes. My shoebox donation will be following in a couple of weeks.

M wife usually volunteers helping this cause around this time of year. These boxes are a nice easy way of helping others.

M wife usually volunteers helping this cause around this time of year. These boxes are a nice easy way of helping others.

I'll have met your wife in previous years then :) I have loved my time of doing what I can to help, but sadly this year I'm no physical use at all so will miss all of the fun. I call it fun even when it's cold, hard work for a lot longer than I was hoping, because seeing all of the good wishes in the boxes and thinking of how many people the boxes will help with a little boost, it all makes a fabulous start to Christmas.

This year I'm not doing boxes myself. I managed to pick up 100 beanie hats in a great deal this spring, and made a few more, and found a good deal on some other things in bulk quantities, so I've got a car boot full of those things instead. I will think of everybody doing the hard work as you do it though :)

I tend to do a box for each gender. For the ladies I also tend to put sanitary stuff, since I can imagine that isn't easy for them to come by. I tend to think practical where possible.

In addition to the general boxes for men and women there are also boxes for the elderly / socially isolated and for dogs. If you check the facebook page under Sheffield Homeless Christmas Shoebox Appeal you can find a list of box types and suggestions for things to put in them. Also if you can't make up a box or have a lot of one type of thing the appeal is always happy to accept these items - they can be dropped off at big yellow storage near the leisure centre on Penistone Road in Hillsborough

Don't know if it's any help, but if it's for children Wickes have a drop off point for children's Christmas presents.

Don't know if it's any help, but if it's for children Wickes have a drop off point for children's Christmas presents.

This appeal is not connected to that one in any way. If you follow the link in the OP you'll see that there are drop off points for this appeal all over the city, and the focus here is on those who are homeless, insecurely housed or socially isolated.

---------- Post added 18-11-2017 at 18:57 ----------

Thank you everybody for your lovely donations :) The storage costs for the appeal are now covered, and now the priority moves on to paying volunteers' bus fares to get to sorting sessions and extra things to pad out boxes and make the contents as equal as possible.

Can everybody have a look for the change behind the sofa and donate that please?

[/color]Thank you everybody for your lovely donations :) The storage costs for the appeal are now covered, and now the priority moves on to paying volunteers' bus fares to get to sorting sessions and extra things to pad out boxes and make the contents as equal as possible.

Can everybody have a look for the change behind the sofa and donate that please?

That's great news. I hope that the £1k can be reached. I've done the last bits for my shoe boxes today. Now to pack them!

I don't know if your charities are aware of this but Aldi are donating any surplus food they have on christmas eve. The details can be found Here. Charities must apply before Friday 8th December.

My boys (5 & 9) made two boxes and we dropped them off at the Yellow Storage Company on Penistone Road. The 5 year old was desperate to put his pet goldfish in his box so the recipient had a friend!