Norton Lees tree protest 7/11.

A protest took place yesterday over the felling of a tree on Lees Hall Avenue. The tree is on a raised section of footpath and grass verge that slopes away to the road. The trunk and roots have encroached on to the footpath making it difficult to negotiate them as there's a boundary wall. The distance between the wall and tree is 35cm. This makes the path a no-go area for people in a wheelchairs or pushchairs. Visually impaired people would also have problems due to the roots, which have raised the footpath at least 4".

I had a discussion with one of the protesters yesterday, her reply was why can't they walk round the tree. I explained that they would have to walk in the road. Her reply was to stop harassing her.

They prevented the tree being felled, so a lot of money was wasted,paying at least six men to stand around all morning.

Two old ladies managed to breech the safety fence and trespassed on somebodies front garden and sat on the steps.

My advice to the protesters is to pick your battles, as anyone with a modicum of common sense could see this tree needed to be felled for safety reasons.

Anyway, your protest was in vain as someone has ring-barked the tree overnight. And putting bat boxes in the tree won't work also.

A protest took place yesterday over the felling of a tree on Lees Hall Avenue. The tree is on a raised section of footpath and grass verge that slopes away to the road. The trunk and roots have encroached on to the footpath making it difficult to negotiate them as there's a boundary wall. The distance between the wall and tree is 35cm. This makes the path a no-go area for people in a wheelchairs or pushchairs. Visually impaired people would also have problems due to the roots, which have raised the footpath at least 4".

I had a discussion with one of the protesters yesterday, her reply was why can't they walk round the tree. I explained that they would have to walk in the road. Her reply was to stop harassing her.

They prevented the tree being felled, so a lot of money was wasted,paying at least six men to stand around all morning.

Two old ladies managed to breech the safety fence and trespassed on somebodies front garden and sat on the steps.

My advice to the protesters is to pick your battles, as anyone with a modicum of common sense could see this tree needed to be felled for safety reasons.

Anyway, your protest was in vain as someone has ring-barked the tree overnight. And putting bat boxes in the tree won't work also.

Other solutions to felling exist from what I understand, such as flexi-paving. Furthermore from what I have read these are available to use in the contract with Amey.

Agree with you melv some battles are in vain if its obvious the tree is a problem let it go and concentrate battles on the trees that are being felled for no obvious reason .

Other solutions to felling exist from what I understand, such as flexi-paving. Furthermore from what I have read these are available to use in the contract with Amey.

That doesn't solve the gap between the tree and the boundary wall.

The huge amount of grotesque SUVS that park up on pavements across Sheffield are of far more concerned to wheelchair and pushchair users.

Nothing ever seems to be done about some little man trying to be a big man by driving a huge 4 wheel drive and leaving it making pavements totally inaccessible......

That doesn't solve the gap between the tree and the boundary wall.

Blast those those pesky small gaps suddenly coming out of absolutely nowhere causing mischief.

Couldn't they just move the tree over a bit, to make more room? Or demolish the adjacent house and wall?

Blast those those pesky small gaps suddenly coming out of absolutely nowhere causing mischief

Couldn't they just move the tree over a bit, to make more room? Or demolish the adjacent house and wall?

Yaaawwwnnnn

in other news.. the council have today admitted that they have not used 'engineering solutions' 143 times to save trees as stated publicly by councillors, they have used 29 times only and those are sites such as new saplings on the moor not to save street trees. they were Forced to Admit due to ICO ruling against them..

It's fortunate that the Co-op were able to provide cctv footage to the Police of whoever vandalised the otherwise healthy tree. I've had confirmation that the Council will pursue this for criminal damage.

Edited by Floydsmoon
clarification

It's fortunate that the Co-op were able to provide cctv footage to the Police of whoever vandalised the otherwise healthy tree. I've had confirmation that the Council will pursue this for criminal damage.

How ironic.

Hopefully the little old ladies will be pursued for trespass as well.