Anyone using Brave Browser.

Anyone else using Brave Browser?

Looks good on first impressions, feels quite fast. Has ad blocking etc built in, and the idea is to eventually distribute BAT (basic attention tokens; it's a cryptocurrency) to website owners as people browse their sites. Will be interesting to see how it develops.

I did a quick search on the validity/source and not visiting one of the links that came back from dark Web news (which says it alll) has a headline of

Anything that requires payment undermines net neutrality and freedoms.

http://fossforce.com/2016/01/linux-foundation-sells-out-brave-new-browser-more/

Basically the long term aim is still to feed you relevant ads instead of all of them.

"There's more to life than just being a data stream"

---------- Post added 05-11-2017 at 10:18 ----------

And this is another reason not to touch it:

http://coinalert.eu/20160403114249-Creation+of+a+Brave+New+World+with+Bitcoin.html

Bit coin was in the news a while ago for its poor security.

If you want privacy then https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_IceCat

Edited by Groose
removed the darkweb news

I was under the impression it used BAT (basic attention token) for micropayments, not bitcoin. This is the first I've heard of it using bitcoin (which would probably be unsuitable in any case, due to high transaction fees).

Can't say I'm impressed with replacement ads though...

I like the notion of micropayments going to content creators, rather than the current ad revenue model.

Not sure I understand/agree with your point about net neutrality; people who create digital content need paying one way or another.

...Not sure I understand/agree with your point about net neutrality; people who create digital content need paying one way or another.

Not if it's GPL (Copy left) ;-)

I am writing this using Icecat 52.3.0 64-bit on Zorin 12.2 and it is considerably faster than my Firefox 56.0

Hi there, I'm not a dev but I help with the Brave community and minor code tweaks.

Braves current model is Browse how you want, you can browse with or without ads, its your choice. if you want to support your favorite creators or the sites you visit with brave payments you can and if you want to view ads you can. so far the ad pool for brave is a little limited so you can turn it off if you really want to. Its not about blocking ads, its about finding a way to support creators that's a little less annoying .

FAQ's: https://brave.com/faq

if you want to ask more questions your welcome to join the Brave Discord community and ask to your hearts content.

if you want to ask more questions your welcome to join the Brave Discord community and ask to your hearts content.

I'll stick with Icecat, Firefox with duckduckgo and ixquick search engines and GPL (all versions) thanks. ;-)

Edited by swarfendor43

I'll stick with Icecat, Firefox with duckduckgo and ixquick search engines and GPL (all versions) thanks. ;-)

That's cool.

For people who don't want to see ads, but do think website owners and content creators should be rewarded for the time, effort and expense they put it; Brave Browser provides an alternative model.

---------- Post added 05-11-2017 at 17:54 ----------

Hi there, I'm not a dev but I help with the Brave community and minor code tweaks.

Braves current model is Browse how you want, you can browse with or without ads, its your choice. if you want to support your favorite creators or the sites you visit with brave payments you can and if you want to view ads you can. so far the ad pool for brave is a little limited so you can turn it off if you really want to. Its not about blocking ads, its about finding a way to support creators that's a little less annoying .

FAQ's: https://brave.com/faq

Thanks!

Looks like it does work with basic attention tokens, and not bitcoin, is that correct?

That's cool.

For people who don't want to see ads, but do think website owners and content creators should be rewarded for the time, effort and expense they put it; Brave Browser provides an alternative model.

---------- Post added 05-11-2017 at 17:54 ----------

Thanks!

Looks like it does work with basic attention tokens, and not bitcoin, is that correct?

Yeah, our original model was bitcoin, we switched to attention tokens at version 12 i believe.