Adding value to our house?

So we've lived in our mid terrace house in Walkley for a long time now and have raised a family in it. We are now wanting to do it up, to sell it and I wondered if any of you have any advice on what adds value and what makes it more sellable please?

I know we need to redecorate in neutral tones but my hubby and I disagree on what else to do!

Any advice is welcomed, thanks in advance!

The only way to really 'add value' is to extend.

Is the house is in reasonable condition, kitchen/bathroom all decent and not stupidly old etc ??

Usually re-decorating, sorting out the garden and having a massive clear-out doesn't add value per-se, but it will help the house sell faster and will help you get offers at the price you want.

Make sure there are as few issues with the property as possible such as getting boilers/services checked and certified, fixing any leaks, clearing out the gutters and fixing any damp/cracks within your budget. This won't add value exactly but will make the property more appealing and help stop the process dragging out later on in the sale when problems come to light in surveys or during the mortgage process.

You need a driveway will put £5000-£10,000 on value I did someone’s drive in dronfield and they got £7000 more for the house

As it is a mid terraced house, the OP will hardly be in the market for a driveway.

There is a case for doing as rose06 says - ensure that the fabric of the house is sound. After that, maybe just declutter, decorate to a good standard and have floor coverings cleaned. There are few things that add value to a property over and above what is spent, particularly with a mid terraced property. It might be a risk doing major work just to attract a higher price. It will certainly be stressful, particularly as you have neighbours either side.

The only way to really 'add value' is to extend.

Is the house is in reasonable condition, kitchen/bathroom all decent and not stupidly old etc ??

Usually re-decorating, sorting out the garden and having a massive clear-out doesn't add value per-se, but it will help the house sell faster and will help you get offers at the price you want.

All reasonable and kitchen and bathroom done in last 8 years.

---------- Post added 23-10-2017 at 13:19 ----------

Make sure there are as few issues with the property as possible such as getting boilers/services checked and certified, fixing any leaks, clearing out the gutters and fixing any damp/cracks within your budget. This won't add value exactly but will make the property more appealing and help stop the process dragging out later on in the sale when problems come to light in surveys or during the mortgage process.

Thanks, this is what my husband said. I wondered if adding an ensuite to the big front bedroom (over the gennel) would add value?

---------- Post added 23-10-2017 at 13:19 ----------

You need a driveway will put £5000-£10,000 on value I did someone’s drive in dronfield and they got £7000 more for the house

I wish! No room I'm afraid..

---------- Post added 23-10-2017 at 13:21 ----------

As it is a mid terraced house, the OP will hardly be in the market for a driveway.

There is a case for doing as rose06 says - ensure that the fabric of the house is sound. After that, maybe just declutter, decorate to a good standard and have floor coverings cleaned. There are few things that add value to a property over and above what is spent, particularly with a mid terraced property. It might be a risk doing major work just to attract a higher price. It will certainly be stressful, particularly as you have neighbours either side.

Thanks. So really, getting the cellar converted and adding an ensuite is probably false economy do you think?

It might be helpful to look on the Zoopla website for sold house prices in your locality. That should give you an idea of whether it would be worth spending on your home. You could also get a valuation from an estate agent - they should be able to advise. A lot depends on the area and the ceiling price. Third bedrooms tend to add value, which is why loft conversions are popular but it takes space from the second floor due to the need for a staircase. The other thing to factor in is your own time and the disruption of building work. Don’t underestimate that.

The advice I've received is to de-clutter and make your house look as spacious as possible. Do not have furniture in the middle of the room, make sure it is all against a wall if possible.

I well remember looking round our first house; the vendor had a G-Plan unit, sofa and 2 armchairs plus a large parrot cage in the front room. In order to get in he had to use the door as a sort of airlock, one in behind the sofa, close door, 1st person walks round front of sofa, open door, 2nd person behind sofa, etc. Not a good start.

Thanks, this is what my husband said. I wondered if adding an ensuite to the big front bedroom (over the gennel) would add value?

It will cost more than it would raise the value of the house.

Are you thinking about an en suite because your bathroom is downstairs? If so, it would not really serve all of your bedrooms. Not everyone likes en suites, especially if they eat into the available space, thus leaving less room for storage. Also, consider the plumbing - water supply and drainage. IMO Geared is right - an en suite is probably not going to reap dividends in terms of resale value.

Your bathroom and kitchen are eight years old so maybe do a simple refresh e.g. grouting, cleaning, repairing etc. People like to know that these areas are clean and serviceable but they often want to put their own mark on them so it might not be worth a complete refit.

Thanks to everyone who has replied! De cluttering, re decorating and refreshing seems to be the consensus! Much more achievable than I had thought, I will have to admit defeat and tell my husband he was right after all! ??

I will have to admit defeat and tell my husband he was right after all! ??

Please don't do that, Western civilisation would crumble.