Ceiling advice, 28 sq m covered in flaky paint.

I'm looking for some advice about repairing a large living room ceiling. Prior to our occupation it had wallpaper on the ceiling, but a leak from the shower above made it come down in one patch. With the leak repaired, we removed the wallpaper, planning to paint over the discoloured plasterboard.

Unfortunately we discovered that underneath the wallpaper, most of the ceiling was covered in very flaky paint which has taken many, many hours of back-breaking work to remove even in a small area. I don't think preparing the ceiling to be painted is going to be feasible.

There's also a large crack across the middle of the ceiling, across the whole width, and several smalller cracks.

We thought about applying polystyrene tiles (modern fire-resistant ones) but I think we'd regret it in the long run. Ditto for PVC panels.

I don't know anything about plastering except what I've read while searching the forums before writing this post. I have heard about overboarding vs removing the old boards but I really don't know what's involved and more importantly I haven't got even the remotest clue about ballpark costs for either option.

Appreciate any and all advice on the best thing to do to resolve this! Thanks.

Edited by matzie
Typos

Get quotes from some plasterers, overboarding is just putting new plasterboard up directly onto the ceiling without removing the old ceiling, locating the joists first of course to screw through into them.

Yes if you got got high ceiling heights over boarding saves all the mess . But i would advice going in false roof and clear all rubbish out first if possible

Edited by spider1

A re-skim is just 3mm of plaster coated on the ceiling, cracks and patches can be covered but this is not a guarantee they won't come back through. Ceiling has to be in pretty good condition.

Over board and skim - Plasterboards screwed to the joists over the existing ceiling and skimmed. This is probably the better option if your ceiling is cracked badly and has has flaking paint, done correctly should last 20 years +

Remove ceiling, board and skim - I wouldn't do this unless the ceiling was collapsing or you wanted insulation etc, needs to be a very good reason to drop a ceiling in an occupied house. Very, very messy. Same method applies remove ceiling, board and skim.

Price wise it's hard to say.

Re-skim would probably be in region of £160-£220

Board and skim £200-£280

Remove, board and skim £320-420

They would be rough estimates for a standard living room 12x12. Yours is bigger by about 10 square metres so more materials, so expect to pay the top end or possibly a little more than what's above. I always tell my customers it depends how long they want it to last. The cheaper option could crack again after 12 months, if your wanting it done to last, the middle option is probably better.

I'd recommend using minimum 12.5mm boards always as they have a backbone, 9.5mm are cheaper but will bend and bow with they ceiling if it's not straight.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Mac_Plas

I'm looking for some advice about repairing a large living room ceiling. Prior to our occupation it had wallpaper on the ceiling, but a leak from the shower above made it come down in one patch. With the leak repaired, we removed the wallpaper, planning to paint over the discoloured plasterboard.

Unfortunately we discovered that underneath the wallpaper, most of the ceiling was covered in very flaky paint which has taken many, many hours of back-breaking work to remove even in a small area. I don't think preparing the ceiling to be painted is going to be feasible.

There's also a large crack across the middle of the ceiling, across the whole width, and several smalller cracks.

We thought about applying polystyrene tiles (modern fire-resistant ones) but I think we'd regret it in the long run. Ditto for PVC panels.

I don't know anything about plastering except what I've read while searching the forums before writing this post. I have heard about overboarding vs removing the old boards but I really don't know what's involved and more importantly I haven't got even the remotest clue about ballpark costs for either option.

Appreciate any and all advice on the best thing to do to resolve this! Thanks.[/Quote]

Yes MAC Plastering Chris @ 07849946223 or 0114 437 2004 is a well known forum plasterer who knows what hes on about only thing i would ask him if it wants re latting as would be a better job and take his advice // Be very wary of anybody saying they will do it cheaper than this as these are good prices

Get quotes from some plasterers, overboarding is just putting new plasterboard up directly onto the ceiling without removing the old ceiling, locating the joists first of course to screw through into them.

Didnt know you were a plasterer cyclone perhaps you could give advice if they should be re-latted :suspect: Dont give advice if you dont know what youre on about

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

Didnt know you were a plasterer cyclone perhaps you could give advice if they should be re-latted :suspect: Dont give advice if you dont know what youre on about

I think cyclone's comment was entirely reasonable. Why would you want to re-lat a ceiling (and what actually does that mean)? I'm genuinely interested. Sounds like replacing the existing lathe and plaster with the same which would be madness surely.

My advice to the OP would be get quotes to overboard with plasterboard and either skim or just fill the gaps.

Edited by TimmyR

Appreciate any and all advice on the best thing to do to resolve this! Thanks.

My Bold

Nobody can give you an answer, it would depend on the severity of the cracks Mac-Plas has the informative post.

I think cyclone's comment was entirely reasonable. Why would you want to re-lat a ceiling (and what actually does that mean)? I'm genuinely interested. Sounds like replacing the existing lathe and plaster with the same which would be madness surely.

My advice to the OP would be get quotes to overboard with plasterboard and either skim or just fill the gaps.

Done a lot of ceilings on renovation work for sheffield council and always used re- lat the ceilings in specs . Perhaps cyclone could assist . To many trolls on forum giving advice about things you know nothing about. I wonder if you and cyclone could work out what a bricklayer does :suspect::hihi: Your advice overboard and just fill gaps like that make Mac Plas smile that one :hihi::hihi:

Edited by spider1

Done a lot of ceilings on renovation work for sheffield council and always used re- lat the ceilings in specs . Perhaps cyclone could assist . To many trolls on forum giving advice about things you know nothing about. I wonder if you and cyclone could work out what a bricklayer does :suspect::hihi: Your advice overboard and just fill gaps like that make Mac Plas smile that one :hihi::hihi:

Look stop being a smart alec, what does re-lat mean? I'd like to know. Are you telling me you take down the entire ceiling reattach little strips of wood and then apply lime plaster like they did 100 years ago?

This may well be important in older buildings to allow them to breathe but it does sound like the expensive route to go down.

Edited by TimmyR

Look stop being a smart alec, what does re-lat mean? I'd like to know. Are you seriously telling me you take down the entire ceiling reattach little strips of wood and then apply lime plaster like they did 100 years ago?

The only reason I could see to doing this would be better is that lime plaster can breathe which may be better for older buildings . It would be considerably more work than just putting up some boards and skimming or whatever.

NO NO NO. You do not take down the existing ceiling what makes you think that

NO NO NO. You do not take down the existing ceiling what makes you think that

Ok so you arrive on the job, first, you don't take the old ceiling down. what do you do next?

(its like a GCSE In Plastering test)

Ok so you arrive on the job, first, you don't take the old ceiling down. what do you do next?

You contact a spread first thing a must :hihi: