Sheffield Forum

Waggon & Horses, Millhouses

Home > Sheffield > Going out in Sheffield

Reply To Topic

13-01-2014, 11:35   #41
Ms Interpret

Total Posts: 553
"We look for people who have great personalities, thrive in a fast paced environment and have a real passion for people. The most important thing is that you can work as part of a high performing team and have great communication skills to quickly build rapport with your colleagues and Guest"
Allow me to translate: you will slog for long shifts in unsocial hours for minimum wage no sick pay no pension and minimum annual leave. You will have no respect from the management and have to put up with rude unsatisfied customers when the managers havent done their job properly. [/B]
Dont mean to rain on your parade mate but I am fed up of this kind of speak. Companys now expect such high levels and the recruitment process is so selective but for what? Large companys like this give nothing back so have a high turnover of staff so can never deliver "the best guest experience" Lets be refreshing and advertise rates of pay higher than the minimum wage pension scheme and sick pay You may then get some loyalty from staff and they may just stay with you. We visit Wetherspoons in Woodseats regularly and have yet to see the same face behind the bar more than a couple of times I think this says a lot

Last edited by Ms Interpret; 13-01-2014 at 11:38. Reason: words missing
13-01-2014, 12:37   #42
gordongeeko

Total Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Interpret View Post
"We look for people who have great personalities, thrive in a fast paced environment and have a real passion for people. The most important thing is that you can work as part of a high performing team and have great communication skills to quickly build rapport with your colleagues and Guest"
Allow me to translate: you will slog for long shifts in unsocial hours for minimum wage no sick pay no pension and minimum annual leave. You will have no respect from the management and have to put up with rude unsatisfied customers when the managers havent done their job properly. [/B]
Dont mean to rain on your parade mate but I am fed up of this kind of speak. Companys now expect such high levels and the recruitment process is so selective but for what? Large companys like this give nothing back so have a high turnover of staff so can never deliver "the best guest experience" Lets be refreshing and advertise rates of pay higher than the minimum wage pension scheme and sick pay You may then get some loyalty from staff and they may just stay with you. We visit Wetherspoons in Woodseats regularly and have yet to see the same face behind the bar more than a couple of times I think this says a lot
Blimey !!!! Wether spoons hardly the clientele the waggon and horses need
13-01-2014, 12:44   #43
Ms Interpret

Flaming Grill is a cheap and cheerful chain pub no better or worse than Wetherspoons Just because its in Millhouses will not make it up market! Pesto tried with that and failed !! Jist take a look at the Crown Carvery at Owler Bar for instance!!!
13-01-2014, 12:50   #44
E-Man Groovin

Total Posts: 870
http://www.flaminggrillpubs.com/
versus:
http://www.thebroadfield.co.uk/index.php
http://www.cricketinn.co.uk/home.html
http://www.cross-scythes.co.uk/index.html
http://www.thebeauchief.com/home.html

I guess (hope) you've done your research, but my gut feeling is that this concept would sit much happier (and maybe more profitably for you) in or around Sheffield city centre; you know West One, that kind of area.

It may work, and I wish you personally well, but it's not the sort of place that appeals to me, and those in the social grades that predominate in SW Sheffield may reside on the quality side of the quality-value equation.
13-01-2014, 12:54   #45
gordongeeko

Total Posts: 10
Quote:
Flaming Grill is a cheap and cheerful chain pub no better or worse than Wetherspoons Just because its in Millhouses will not make it up market! Pesto tried with that and failed !! Jist take a look at the Crown Carvery at Owler Bar for instance!!!
I agree entirely that's why a cheap menu offering and cheap beer won't work here, attracts the wrong clientele , they need to take a look at the Dore Moor pub always full and fairly consistent quality not cheap as chips but good value and it keeps the oiks and chavs away.
13-01-2014, 14:51   #46
Tess
The game.

Total Posts: 8,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by verona View Post
Love the Broadfield, in fact I like all of their pubs, The York, Old House etc..I'm surprised someone like them or Thornbridge aren't interested in the Waggon. Maybe they might take the Cherry Tree.
A woman who used to have the Millhouses is taking over the Cherry Tree. I'm told its opening this weekend.
_______
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, with a body thoroughly used up and totally worn out, screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride!"
13-01-2014, 15:04   #47
verona

Total Posts: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess View Post
A woman who used to have the Millhouses is taking over the Cherry Tree. I'm told its opening this weekend.
She must be very brave. I was expecting it to be Sainsbury's local any time soon. I really can't see how it can work. Everything has been tried, right down to offering local real ales.
13-01-2014, 15:13   #48
POUNDSWORTH

Total Posts: 2,366
Quote:
Harsh !! if your so anti large pub chains, why are you feeding a Wetherspoons with your custom?

Its all about service to me, with good quality products at realistic prices. your eating on the cheap by a large outlet that buys cheap, rumoured with products very close to sell by date!!

You seem to have an axe to grind, yet still pay in to the type of company your complaining about!!
_______
50 years a supporter, last 3 a part timer....gutted

Last edited by POUNDSWORTH; 13-01-2014 at 15:24.
13-01-2014, 15:46   #49
top4718

Total Posts: 9,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by POUNDSWORTH View Post
Harsh !! if your so anti large pub chains, why are you feeding a Wetherspoons with your custom?

Its all about service to me, with good quality products at realistic prices. your eating on the cheap by a large outlet that buys cheap, rumoured with products very close to sell by date!!

You seem to have an axe to grind, yet still pay in to the type of company your complaining about!!
If you think the Flaming Grill brand will give you this you've got a big surprise coming. Warmed up fodder served by disinterested students waiting for something better to turn up.
13-01-2014, 15:56   #50
POUNDSWORTH

Total Posts: 2,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by top4718 View Post
If you think the Flaming Grill brand will give you this you've got a big surprise coming. Warmed up fodder served by disinterested students waiting for something better to turn up.
i have no opinion on that chain, i dont use it, its rare i use Wetherspoons either. i dont go for big chains usually!!

So i back my preferences by voting with my feet, unlike the above poster knocking one chain and paying in to another on a regular basis!!

No surprises coming at this end, i am also ex trade. I do know the score.
_______
50 years a supporter, last 3 a part timer....gutted
13-01-2014, 17:56   #51
jemson

Total Posts: 3,038
Fair do`s to the new manager (Stefan) , for having the foresight to come on here and do a bit of research. There`s always the danger of being trolled as we`ve seen. TBH, a grill is not my sort of thing. I like a pint but do prefer healthy food generally. That said, I really hope it does well; we do not want another supermarket!
13-01-2014, 20:42   #52
lectrolove

Total Posts: 1,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemson View Post
Fair do`s to the new manager (Stefan) , for having the foresight to come on here and do a bit of research. There`s always the danger of being trolled as we`ve seen. TBH, a grill is not my sort of thing. I like a pint but do prefer healthy food generally. That said, I really hope it does well; we do not want another supermarket!
I feel a bit sorry for Stefan actually, I doubt he was expecting all these negative comments. I do think this is the wrong area for this kind of concern though, on hot sunny weekends when people come from all over the city to use the park it will probably do ok, but the rest of the time I think it'll struggle. I can't see it getting much trade from the locals.
13-01-2014, 21:30   #53
Ms Interpret

Quote:
Originally Posted by POUNDSWORTH View Post
i have no opinion on that chain, i dont use it, its rare i use Wetherspoons either. i dont go for big chains usually!!

So i back my preferences by voting with my feet, unlike the above poster knocking one chain and paying in to another on a regular basis!!

No surprises coming at this end, i am also ex trade. I do know the score.
Have to slate my thirst somewhere with the whippets!! All i am asking is that instead of putting on a load of fancy words about customer experience and having "passion" for people bla bla they just say it how it is ie hard work for not much pay!
13-01-2014, 22:58   #54
Tess
The game.

Total Posts: 8,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by verona View Post
She must be very brave. I was expecting it to be Sainsbury's local any time soon. I really can't see how it can work. Everything has been tried, right down to offering local real ales.
You're so right. I really struggle to understand what keeps going wrong, when so much love, time and cash has been put into it.
_______
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, with a body thoroughly used up and totally worn out, screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride!"
14-01-2014, 01:16   #55
Nagel

Total Posts: 5,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess View Post
You're so right. I really struggle to understand what keeps going wrong, when so much love, time and cash has been put into it.
[This is about the nearby Cherry Tree]

I think the problem is that it's a suburban bungalow, fitted out as a pub. It's not very inviting when you go in it seems like the all the people there are in some little club of their own.

I wish the Prince of Wales would open up a something more pub-like again, rather than trying to pretend it's 'Country Dining' and pretty well excluding people who want to go for a pint.
14-01-2014, 01:26   #56
Fudbeer

Total Posts: 3,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagel View Post
[This is about the nearby Cherry Tree]

I think the problem is that it's a suburban bungalow, fitted out as a pub. It's not very inviting when you go in it seems like the all the people there are in some little club of their own.

I wish the Prince of Wales would open up a something more pub-like again, rather than trying to pretend it's 'Country Dining' and pretty well excluding people who want to go for a pint.
Agreed we lost a good local pub when that went into an overpriced restaurant.When ever I go past it never seems that busy either.

See a lot of ex locals in the Greystones.
14-01-2014, 02:42   #57
StefanFGrill

Total Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudbeer View Post
Well you have started off well by asking opinions and listening to feedback.

Good luck will certainly give it a try when it opens provided it does not look like a restaurant only affair as the last place did.
It most certainly won't, the current Flaming Grill I'm at now just to give you an idea was still full of drinkers at 2am on New Years Eve, that was after our fully booked 3 course meal that finished at 10.30pm.

My personal expectations are around 50% food and 50% drink sales but until we hit the ground running everything is a bit of a waiting and guessing game, but one I am genuinely excited to get stuck in to even though it sounds like it could be a challenge.

---------- Post added 14-01-2014 at 01:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man Groovin View Post
http://www.flaminggrillpubs.com/
versus:
http://www.thebroadfield.co.uk/index.php
http://www.cricketinn.co.uk/home.html
http://www.cross-scythes.co.uk/index.html
http://www.thebeauchief.com/home.html

I guess (hope) you've done your research, but my gut feeling is that this concept would sit much happier (and maybe more profitably for you) in or around Sheffield city centre; you know West One, that kind of area.

It may work, and I wish you personally well, but it's not the sort of place that appeals to me, and those in the social grades that predominate in SW Sheffield may reside on the quality side of the quality-value equation.
Hi, I have done some research into the local competition like the above mentioned restaurants and I can't think of way to word this without almost sounding arrogant so excuse my wording, they all seem a bit old country pub fine dining style of a pub.

Maybe something a bit different wouldn't be too frowned upon?

Surely there are families that after a long day at work want to come out dine on a chargrilled great quality steak and some sizzling chicken fajitas while the kids enjoy a mini mixed grill and a childs pasta all for under the 30 mark?

Or even send the kids to the grandparents for the night and pop down and enjoy sharing a nice bottle of pinot grigio in sunset outside for around 9.

The menu and prices itself really are brilliant value and if I can get the team I recruit operating to the standards I expect and have achieved at my current workplace then I don't see any reason why the Waggon won't be a success

In regards to your location advice, its not something I have a choice in unfortunately and I do agree the the Waggon may of been better turned into a www.chefandbrewer.com but thats not the outcome so I will do my best to turn it into the best Flaming Grill in the country for all of you guys to enjoy!

Great reading all your comments, thank you all once again.

Stefan.
14-01-2014, 08:27   #58
Andy C

Total Posts: 8,340
Well - good luck Stefan - would be good to see the place successful again
14-01-2014, 09:19   #59
beefface

Total Posts: 747
Stefan, could you please answer these brief questions?
Who will be supplying your meat?
Where will the burgers be made and who will be preparing them?
Where will your sauces (barbeque, pasta etc) be made and who will be preparing them?
Who will be supplying your fresh ingredients (bread, salad etc)?
Look forward to hearing from you.
14-01-2014, 09:28   #60
verona

Total Posts: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefface View Post
Stefan, could you please answer these brief questions?
Who will be supplying your meat?
Where will the burgers be made and who will be preparing them?
Where will your sauces (barbeque, pasta etc) be made and who will be preparing them?
Who will be supplying your fresh ingredients (bread, salad etc)?
Look forward to hearing from you.
Could be wrong, but I bet it's this company www.brake.co.uk

To be fair, they're not that bad. And don't be fooled by the likes of The Cricket, Broadfield, etc.. Claiming to use locally soured suppliers, because the majority of restaurants all buy from this company. What is classed as locally sourced?

Last edited by verona; 14-01-2014 at 09:33.
Reply To Topic