Sheffield Forum

Best real ale pubs in Chesterfield

Home > Sheffield > Going out in Sheffield

Reply To Topic

19-08-2014, 14:29   #1
taxman

Total Posts: 20,536
Send a message via MSN to taxman
Yes, I know this section is about going out in Sheffield but I reckon it is the most appropriate.

Me and my OH are going to Chesterfield on Friday ostensibly to visit the quaint old town and have a look at the market but really to have a bit of a pub crawl.

Which are the best pubs for beer and which of those would people recommend for lunch?

Ta
_______
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

I am no longer Taxman!
19-08-2014, 14:39   #2
tinfoilhat

Total Posts: 13,747
Rutland arms used to be good. Mind you the market used to be good too. That said The Market pub was always solid. Been a while though!
_______
We get the world we deserve.

Last edited by tinfoilhat; 19-08-2014 at 14:41.
19-08-2014, 14:41   #3
SteelCityAle

Total Posts: 665
My personal favourites are about the furthest two apart (within the town itself at least)... at the far end, the Chesterfield Alehouse micropub is, as you might expect, basic but comfortable, with a decent range of reasonably priced beers. Nearer the station (if that's how you're getting there!) is the White Swan, Raw pub, about 10 wickets, a dozen keg fonts (mix of craft and macro), and a couple of hundred bottled beers. Not eaten there but heard good things about the food
19-08-2014, 17:04   #4
ukdobby

Total Posts: 10,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinfoilhat View Post
Rutland arms used to be good. Mind you the market used to be good too. That said The Market pub was always solid. Been a while though!
Went in Market earlier this year,they had Easy Rider on,not cheap though.
19-08-2014, 17:26   #5
Stoatwobbler

Total Posts: 2,465
Many excellent pubs. There's the Chesterfield Arms, Derby Tup, Rutland Arms, White Swan, Tap House, Rose & Crown, Tramway Tavern, a real ale off licence (Real Ale Corner) and 2 micropubs (Chesterfield Alehouse & The Beer Parlour).

Of these The White Swan is a personal favourite and the one I would suggest for food.

Last edited by Stoatwobbler; 19-08-2014 at 17:27. Reason: .
20-08-2014, 05:08   #6
Dales

Total Posts: 277
I also recommend the Ale House on Chatsworth Road. Unfortunately don't go into the town centre much though.
20-08-2014, 07:48   #7
Doom

Total Posts: 3,218
We've done a pub crawl in Chesterfield a few times and really enjoyed it, although the prices do generally seem to be higher than Sheffield.

There used to be a real ale map on the Chesterfield Camra website, but the website seems to have disappeared.

We only like strong real ales, so the pubs that appealed to us were:

Rutland Hotel
White Swan
The Royal Oak
The Market
Chesterfield Ale House (a very small room)
The Portland (Wetherspoons)
Spa Lane Vaults (Wetherspoons)

Regards

Doom
20-08-2014, 08:00   #8
Stoatwobbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom View Post
We've done a pub crawl in Chesterfield a few times and really enjoyed it, although the prices do generally seem to be higher than Sheffield.

There used to be a real ale map on the Chesterfield Camra website, but the website seems to have disappeared.

Rutland Hotel
White Swan
The Royal Oak
The Market

Regards

Doom
Looking away from the town centre in Chesterfield, The Tap House (run by Barlow Brewery), The Beer Parlour and Chesterfield Arms should all appeal.

Also quite like the fridge of many wonders at the Tramway Tavern, which is fortunate as I'm not really a fan of Brampton beers!
20-08-2014, 08:03   #9
taxman

Thanks for all the replies.

I think after a quick look round the market I can make a decent pub crawl out The Alehouse, The Market, The Royal Oak, The White Swan and then finally The Rutland before staggering back to the train station.
_______

I am no longer Taxman!
20-08-2014, 08:15   #10
Doom

The Chesterfield Ale House usually list their current beers online.

http://www.chesterfieldalehouse.co.uk/index.html

Regards

Doom
20-08-2014, 12:14   #11
DnAuK

Total Posts: 1,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom View Post

Rutland Hotel
White Swan
The Royal Oak
The Market

Regards

Doom
Yup - all of those are good pubs. But only the White Swan worth venturing out of Sheffield for if you're making a special trip. Funnily enough Pete Brown (the eminient beer blogger and all round stuck-up-his own-orifice guy) managed to go to Chesterfield a few weeks ago and missed all of these apparently - saying it was desolate for good beer. He has since been put right and gone back to apologise.
20-08-2014, 12:24   #12
Stoatwobbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnAuK View Post
Yup - all of those are good pubs. But only the White Swan worth venturing out of Sheffield for if you're making a special trip. Funnily enough Pete Brown (the eminient beer blogger and all round stuck-up-his own-orifice guy) managed to go to Chesterfield a few weeks ago and missed all of these apparently - saying it was desolate for good beer. He has since been put right and gone back to apologise.
I'd say the Chesterfield Arms is worth a special trip as well, not to mention a crawl round a few places on the Brampton Mile.

As to Pete Brown, he really is a silly boy isn't he? Managed to walk straight past the White Swan and Rutland Arms in order to write a hit piece about a place that very obviously isn't going to serve any good beer.

I actually managed to see some of his talk at the Thornbridge "Peakender" festival. I lost interest when he claimed that Stella was a good beer 15 years ago. Even back then I always strongly disliked the stuff.

Last edited by Stoatwobbler; 20-08-2014 at 12:29. Reason: .
20-08-2014, 12:40   #13
DnAuK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoatwobbler View Post
I'd say the Chesterfield Arms is worth a special trip as well, not to mention a crawl round a few places on the Brampton Mile.

As to Pete Brown, he really is a silly boy isn't he? Managed to walk straight past the White Swan and Rutland Arms in order to write a hit piece about a place that very obviously isn't going to serve any good beer.

I actually managed to see some of his talk at the Thornbridge "Peakender" festival. I lost interest when he claimed that Stella was a good beer 15 years ago. Even back then I always strongly disliked the stuff.
Well in his defence I probably thought Stella was a good beer 15 years ago as well... Although it's more likely if you make it 20! Tastes change and corporate push for profits has weakened it. I'm sure it used to be 5.4% when I started drinking it. But then I remember when Punk IPA was 6% too...

To be honest I could just about cope with Pete (who is from Barnsley originally and can still be seen in my local from time to time) when he took up 'beer and food' matching. But recently his 'beer and music' matching has just gone a step too far. I mean I like a range of beers and a range of music. And I have never had a problem drinking a Brewdog Dogma whilst listeing to System of a Down, or sipping an Evil Twin Molotov Cocktail whilst mellowing to Joss Stone. Or Vice Versa.
20-08-2014, 12:51   #14
Stoatwobbler

Quote:
Well in his defence I probably thought Stella was a good beer 15 years ago as well... Although it's more likely if you make it 20! Tastes change and corporate push for profits has weakened it. I'm sure it used to be 5.4% when I started drinking it. But then I remember when Punk IPA was 6% too...

To be honest I could just about cope with Pete (who is from Barnsley originally and can still be seen in my local from time to time) when he took up 'beer and food' matching. But recently his 'beer and music' matching has just gone a step too far. I mean I like a range of beers and a range of music. And I have never had a problem drinking a Brewdog Dogma whilst listeing to System of a Down, or sipping an Evil Twin Molotov Cocktail whilst mellowing to Joss Stone. Or Vice Versa.
15 years ago I was a student down in Essex, and the solitary bitter drinker among many lager & alcopop drinkers. Can remember well enough being one of the few people back then who never brought into the Stella Artois marketing.

And I suppose beer and music matching is quite pretentious, but it's not the only example of beery pretentiousness out there. Citra hop scented beard balm anyone? http://drinkupcolumbus.com/2014/07/3...ard-balm-hops/
20-08-2014, 15:59   #15
DnAuK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoatwobbler View Post
15 years ago I was a student down in Essex, and the solitary bitter drinker among many lager & alcopop drinkers. Can remember well enough being one of the few people back then who never brought into the Stella Artois marketing.

And I suppose beer and music matching is quite pretentious, but it's not the only example of beery pretentiousness out there. Citra hop scented beard balm anyone? http://drinkupcolumbus.com/2014/07/3...ard-balm-hops/
Oh nice... as long as you want real ale fans coming up and licking your beard....

I did notice that the Closed Shop once had some citra hopped chilli sauce which I did think was rather nice - but failed to note the brand or ask where they got it from.
20-08-2014, 16:12   #16
SteelCityAle

Total Posts: 665
Quote:
I did notice that the Closed Shop once had some citra hopped chilli sauce which I did think was rather nice - but failed to note the brand or ask where they got it from.
I'd guess it was homemade? the other pubs in the huge Reet Pubs empire (both of them...) make their own chilli sauces, can't definitely speak for Closed Shop though as I still haven't been other than to deliver beer!
20-08-2014, 21:51   #17
mikey1867

Total Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinfoilhat View Post
Both pubs in the same day, preferably..
21-08-2014, 18:53   #18
shilling

Total Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dales View Post
I also recommend the Ale House on Chatsworth Road. Unfortunately don't go into the town centre much though.
The Ale House is on West Bars. Its a great place but be aware of the hours. It closes at 10pm.

---------- Post added 21-08-2014 at 18:55 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman View Post
Yes, I know this section is about going out in Sheffield but I reckon it is the most appropriate.

Me and my OH are going to Chesterfield on Friday ostensibly to visit the quaint old town and have a look at the market but really to have a bit of a pub crawl.

Which are the best pubs for beer and which of those would people recommend for lunch?

Ta
If you are going into the market the pubs are OK but the White Swan just across from the crooked spire is better and serves some good food.
22-08-2014, 12:13   #19
taxman

Some terrific beers on in the Chesterfield Alehouse. Great Heck Shankar IPA and a lovely kaffir lime and coconut stout from Raw and Abbeydale. Lovely
_______

I am no longer Taxman!
22-08-2014, 12:22   #20
Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman View Post
Some terrific beers on in the Chesterfield Alehouse. Great Heck Shankar IPA and a lovely kaffir lime and coconut stout from Raw and Abbeydale. Lovely
You're making me very jealous.

Is that your starting point?

Regards

Doom
Reply To Topic