Manchester commute

Howdy folks. After a bit of advice or experiences to be shared about the above situation.

I currently live off Fox Hill Road, and am looking at the potential issues with commuting to Manchester. I've done some researching but just wanted some fresh information.

I think my theory for the journey is - Wife drops me at the station, the other end in Manchester is a short walk, but the journey to the station is hell. especially in rush hour. Does anyone have any suggestions, also how is the train? packed? never a seat? always late etc?

Driving has never entered my mind as I know how difficult it would be to get to the centre. So yeah just hoping for some communication about how the journey is if anyone does it?

many thanks

Edited by EODM83
spelling

Instead of driving to the station what about the Tram from Leppings Lane?

What time in the morning do you need to travel?

Commute sounds horrible.

You could try heading over the tops and catching the train from Dore station. Less traffic, but I suspect you might struggle to get a seat on the train. Not sure how many trains actually stop there either, but maybe worth looking into.

Disgraceful in this day and age how two major cities 30 miles apart can be so difficult to travel between. As you say, driving would soon wear you down with the amount of traffic there is to deal with from Glossop/Tintwistle onwards.

It does but I think it could be manageable - the office operates flexible working so probably looking at getting the train about 7:30. Worried that tram may add a bit longer to the journey.

Can you not go from Meadowhall or chapletown ,even if it is to travel from one of those to sheffield centre then change trains

Can you not go from Meadowhall or chapletown ,even if it is to travel from one of those to sheffield centre then change trains

Not really - the problem is after my wife drops me off she then goes to the Childrens hospital. So it would drastically increase her journey time.

Cycle to the station. I did this for 11 years and its by the far the quickest way to get to the station at rush hour (or really any hour). There is a great cycle facility at shef station now. Keeps you fit too. There's a cycle path along all of penistone road (not the best but if you're not confident on the roads, its better than nothing)

I've heard the train to manc can be pretty crowded.

Edited by TimmyR

Have a lift to the tram route. Tram to Halfway will take you to station.

I did this commute for 2 years and caught the train from both Sheffield and Dore station between 7 and 8am and caught the 16.45 train back.

If you get on at Dore you will struggle to get a seat, especially if they only put on 2 carriages instead of 4 which used to happen quite a lot. The trains from Dore to Manchester are every half an hour.

If you go from Dore, there isn't much shelter which isn't ideal when the weather is horrid. However if you do go from there, my friend has a coffee van there which is fab.

In my experience, the trains were often delayed and very full and I frequently had to stand up for the whole journey or at least up to Stockport which is infuriating when you think about the amount you pay for a monthly/yearly ticket. The return journey was just as busy, if not busier. After 2 years, I really had had enough of the commute and left my job for something a bit more local.

The good point is that you end up meeting lots of lovely people when you get chatting because the train is delayed or cancelled. I still keep in touch with some of my train friends. Also, the views of the countryside are beautiful.

I went on a training course in the Center of Manchester last week and if truth be told, it was fun but good lord you have to be a special kind of people to do it every day.

I got the train at Sheffield so I got a seat (just...) but then the stops after, everybody that got on had to stand. It was very busy by the time it got to Stockport and Manchester...

On the way back just the same. I did find that 50 percent of the time in the morning, I got to Manchester 10-20 minutes late.

Edited by DC89216

Drive to Glossop, park on-street near station, which is free. Trains are every 20 mins at peak times and you always get a seat as it terminates at Glossop. Takes about 35 mins to Piccadilly. You just have to accept that very occasionally you might get stuck in Manchester, like if it snows heavily.

Dealing with Snake or Woodhead on a daily basis??

Personally, i'd rather stand on a train all the way from Sheffield than have to do that.