Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

Hi GJC, had lots of similar issues like this, will need manifolds upstairs tracing and replacing ? Done lots on newish builds on old shirecliffe college site, cheers, Steve

Hi Steve,

Are you still around, you did a great job on my manifolds last year, allworking now, just needed to get in touch about service and something else? I've tried calling a few times??

Would it be a good idea to fit a magnetite trap in a central heating system powered by a conventional boiler?

Depends whether you're having a lot of trouble with magnetites, to the point where you are wanting to trap them?

Hi folks,

I'm looking to buy a Hive receiver to control my boiler. I have all the rest of the required kit, thermostat, hub, but I can't find a retailer that sells the receiver separately. I understand that these are the same receivers that were used in the Hive v1.

Anyone know where I can pick up one?

Thanks in advance.

Hi

Just wondered if anyone on here has recently replaced a traditional gravity fed hot water system with an unvented cylinder to boost hot water pressure.

What is 'ballpark' cost for this where current cylinder is in airing cupboard and header tanks in loft space directly above ?

Alternatively anyone fitted a pump to boost the hot water and have any recommendations on installers ?

Thanks

Cant you just lift cold header tank usual solution

Tank already on 'stilts'. How much further do you suggest or is it a case of as high as is reasonably practical ?

Tank already on 'stilts'. How much further do you suggest or is it a case of as high as is reasonably practical ?

Stillts is no good it has to be as high as poss. A platform needs to be built from timber running from rafter to rafter . This is not a d. i. y. job building a platform needs to be done right by a joiner as there is a lot of weight in a cold tank full of water. You need a big a cold water tank as poss so invest in a new tank if needed take your plumbers advice. . You will be able to run a shower in

your bathroom then / Remember no d.i y. get a plumber :hihi:

As a thought have you been in false roof and made sure tank is filling right up and there is no blockage inside tank were water runs out. If you want luxury put a pump on your shower // OF COURSE THE CURE IS A COMBI BOILER

Edited by spider1

Hi I can't get hold of my regualr boiler guy, could anyone recommend someone reliable to come and do an annual boiler service and hang a radiator. Many thanks!

think I posted in the wrong thread before so here it is again.

Hi I can't get hold of my regualr boiler guy. I'd be grateful for any recommendion for someone reliable to come and do an annual boiler service and hang a radiator, feel free to drop a pm, or make a suggestion.

many thanks

Hartfield plumbing, based in Chesterfield

he's done all our yearly servicing of boilers since 2013 turns up on time, always does a good job, over that time he fitted new boilers, put up radiators and fixed leaks, always found him good to deal with, also he charges a reasonable amount.

His number is 07909 547 564

I have had a quote due to our central heating not warming up properly and a issue was found with it and radiator was full of sludge we have been given a quote for the work, I wont put the price on but want ideas of what we should be paying, any advice welcome.

drain down and inhibit system

in day 22magnetic system filter sealed systems

fit filter to central heating system to protect boiler from muck and sludge inside, drain raditors,adding cleaner first and protector after to protect system which wasnt done when house built cannot flush as microbore plastic pipe

Any recommendations on companies for boiler care and breakdown cover, I just got my Homecare renewal and BG have put it up 20.5%.